Did Carnival Raise the Price of Social Media Package?

I saw an announcement on a cruise website with the following headline. I checked the Carnival website and the pre-purchase price was still $4 a day. Has anyone heard any announcements from John Heald or CCL?

Carnival Cruise Line Hikes Price of Social Media Internet Package

Carnival Cruise Line has raised the price of their internet plan by 60% that allows access to the most popular social media apps.
Carnival offers three different internet packages on their cruise ships: a social media package, a value WiFi plan, and a premium WiFi plan.  While the latter two WiFi packages will stay the same price, the social media package will now cost cruisers a bit more money.

The new price for the social media package is now $8.00 per day, or $6.80 per day if pre-purchased before the cruise.  Passengers can not purchase day passes for the social media package, they must purchase a cruise long pass.  Carnival Cruise Line has the following description for this package:

This change in pricing went into effect on November 2, 2018.

The old price for the social media package was $5.00 per day, or $4.00 per day if pre-purchased.

Edited by M&T ReadyToCruiseAgain
Typo

Since I have a cruise coming up in January and planned to get it, I decided to do it tonight and it's still $4 a day. If it is going up today, maybe they just haven't updated the web site yet. It's kind of unusual though to see a price increase without an announcement first. 

• Like 1

I bought mine (for 3 of us) for our March cruise on the Carnival Magic last night and it was still $4 and it is still $4 today (Nov 3).  At least the new price if you pre-purchase is only $6.80 versus $8.  It is still a great bargain.  My sons and their father are leaving on a RCCL next week and the price of internet is very costly and no social media package or anything like the HUB app (they are going on an older ship).  Although I am now set for my March 2019 cruise, I will still purchase it at $6.80 on any future cruises as I enjoy having access to social media when I am away.  

The article says effective date is Nov 2. Today is the 3rd and looking at Carnival's site the price is still $5/4. I know it is silly to actually check the vendor itself but you know...............

And if they raise it later? It's not like companies don't change prices.

2 hours ago, M&T ReadyToCruiseAgain said:

I checked the Carnival web site again today, November 4th. The sailing pre-purchase price is still $4 a day. The cruise fever site still has the November 2nd article about the price increase! Fake news?

If it is like past price increases, existing booking is locked at the OLD price and new booking will have the NEW pricing.

1 hour ago, shof515 said:

If it is like past price increases, existing booking is locked at the OLD price and new booking will have the NEW pricing.

I logged out of Carnival and went in as if I was going to buy as a gift for someone. No booking was referenced and the price was still $4. It will probably go up eventually. 

Thanks for the heads up. That's almost $20 more. for a week. Maybe this is false news. One thing I do know for sure is its not going cheaper than $4 a day. Might as well buy now!

Oh and in before "I disconnect from my phone while on vacation. Here's why"

someone on another roll call said they called carnival and asked if there was going to be a price hike and they said yes, the price change should be going into effect shortly.   Also  John Heald said on his webpage  that they will be upgrading the internet service on the ships. That would explain the increase. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...