How do you dress on NCL to Caribbean?

lovetotraveltx

Our first time on NCL will be this December on the Breakaway out of New Orleans. We are two adults and it is a New Year's Cruise. How do people normally dress during the day? Do they change for dinner, if so in to what type of outfits: Male and Female? Also, would they dress up for specialty dinners and/or New Year's Eve? Thank you!

What Clothes Should I Pack?
When it comes to what to wear, you can go resort casual or get decked-out and look your best - it’s your call. That’s the freedom of Freestyle Cruising. We even have special “Dress-Up or Not Night.” It’s the perfect opportunity to get your portrait taken with your family, that special someone or even with the ship’s Captain.Cruise Casual: the Freedom of Freestyle Cruising Dress cruise casual anytime during the day, in the buffet and in most specialty restaurants. For women, it includes summer and casual dresses, skirts, regular or capri pants, shorts, jeans and tops. Khakis, jeans, shorts and casual shirts are fine for men. Swimwear is acceptable at the buffet and outdoor restaurant, but a shirt or a cover-up and footwear are required. Be sure to pack a sweater — the air conditioning can be chilly. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in all our restaurants. Please Note: We want you to be comfortable, but tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded, with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants. Ready for Adventure: Shore Excursions Think about the shore excursions you'll be taking and pack accordingly, including comfy walking shoes. For kids and adults it's good to pack a pair of closed-toed shoes. All Decked-out: Smart Casual Dress smart casual in our more formal dining room or in our more upscale specialty restaurants. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it's jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in all our restaurants. Special Events: Theme Nights and Parties Our newest event, Norwegian's Night Out, is the perfect opportunity to get dressed up for an evening of cocktails, fine dining and great entertainment. You may also want to pack an all-white ensemble for our iconic White Hot Party.

I wear beach attire during the day when onboard. I dress up for dinner because that is what I prefer. You are going to get A LOT of different opinions. Wear what makes you are comfortable. Remember you're on vacation 🙂
Edited by JennyB1977

I would guess more people will be more dressy for New Year's Eve than the average night.  But that is just a guess.

On the cruises I have been on, including 4 Caribbean I have seen that some people dress way up:  I see them in the Atrium getting their pictures taken in wonderful sparkly dresses, and men in suits or nice dress shirt and tie sets.  

There was a wonderful older couple on the Escape in the Caribbean that dressed formally (tux, long cocktail dress) on at least a couple of nights:  I would see them at Spice H2O after dinner watching the dancers and enjoying their cruise.

I "dress" for dinner, but wouldn't say I dress "up".  I bring black dress pants, black tops, and a black sweater or two, and then a bunch of brightly covered scarves so I don't look like Johnny Cash.  During the day, it is lighter colors, shorts or capris, solid t's and maybe a scarf or two.   At night at sea I have never been too warm for light weight long pants.   I used to bring a few black skirts, but now I have cut back to just dress pants.

My mother loves (and has for decades and decades) coordinates like Alfred Dunner, so she will bring a dressier set of coordinates and just swap out the shells, jackets and sweaters.   She uses less dressy sets for during the day.   She buys a whole new wardrobe for each cruise.   I try the least amount possible for the cruise.

My husband is convinced he will die if he wears a tie, so his dress up is a loud shirt and chinos.  This is different than his daytime cruise wardrobe of a loud shirt and shorts.

My daughter (age 16) looks like a million bucks in anything, and she brought more formal dresses for night (the short dress she wore to homecoming but not the long dress she wore to prom).   She changes multiple times a day.  My son (age 18 now) lives in sport shorts and solid colored performance T's .   He brings one or two polos and a long pair of pants so he can eat with me in the main dining room a few nights.

If you have dressy clothes and like to dress up in them, you won't be the only one.  If you don't want to pack high heels or foundation garments, you'll be fine in more casual wear as well.  If you don't want to dine in Le Bistro or the larger Main Dining room, you could get by with t-shirts and shorts the whole cruise.

30 minutes ago, FLcruisergrl said:

Day= bathing suit, shorts, tees, flip flops

Evening= male: jeans or khakis and a polo; female: capris and top with sandals or a sundress

This is basically what we saw (and wore) on our cruise in October. We ate in four speciality dining restaurants as well as Taste, Savor and Tropicana. I remember thinking how nice everyone looked overall.

Also there was a long thread not too long ago about whether ladies should/could wear ripped jeans in the dining room. I looked for them and did not see any. Now I obviously did not see everyone on board, but ripped jeans did not seem to be very popular. There was also a fun group of very flamboyant gentlemen on board who often wore clothes bordering on costumes. I especially enjoyed seeing the pink tuxedo and pink top hat!!  Wear what you like and are comfortable in. Just have fun!!! We sure did!

4 hours ago, lovetotraveltx said:

Our first time on NCL will be this December on the Breakaway out of New Orleans. We are two adults and it is a New Year's Cruise. How do people normally dress during the day? Do they change for dinner, if so in to what type of outfits: Male and Female? Also, would they dress up for specialty dinners and/or New Year's Eve? Thank you!

Days are shorts and t-shirts.

Shorts and polo shirts are permitted in ALL dining rooms for ALL meals except Ocean Blue and Le Bistro which require long pants (e.g., Jeans/dockers). 

Freestyle Dining. NCL embraces the concept of "dress up or not". Dress however you feel comfortable. Some people dress up a little. Most don't. No Tuxes (maybe for NYE). Suits and ties are a very rare (maybe fore NYE). You would fit in wearing with a capris and a blouse or a sun dress or a gown. There is no "right" dress. 

15 hours ago, lovetotraveltx said:

I have no idea about NY EVE but for us, during the day we wear beach type cloths: shorts, nice T shirts or decent shirts or blouses. For evening about the same unless we go to a specialty dining room. Then we will dress a little more "after 5" type of dress. I do not wear shorts or jeans to dinner but hubby will when we are going casual. I like to wear capris for dinner, or nice long pants. i will add, you will see everything. To me it is amazing how some dress and this goes for both ends. That is another reason it is called "free style" You can pretty much do what makes you feel comfortable. For me, I hate to see people dressed like slobs but I guess if it doesn't bother them it should not bother any of us. For me it happens to be a matter of pride: I guess I am showing my age. :classic_biggrin:

Have done 2 NYE sailings on the Breakaway when it was in NY.  People in general did dress up for NYE, but Not many tuxes/gowns. Many in suits/dresses, but as others noted it is still freestyle so others were still in t-shirts/shorts.  I would expect similar out of NO, so you would have company if you want to dress up, but never mandatory on NCL.

On 11/5/2018 at 2:57 PM, lovetotraveltx said:

the most important thing here is how do you want to dress?  Do what you want to do, cause you will see it all.  we just came back from 15 day carribean, every day was shorts or swim suits, even to shows and dinner, not once did i wear pants.  the ncl slogan fits here perfectly to your question, freestyle do what you want to do, if you want to dress down do it, dress up do it

8 hours ago, Newleno said:

the most important thing here is how do you want to dress?  Do what you want to do, cause you will see it all.  we just came back from 15 day carribean, every day was shorts or swim suits, even to shows and dinner, not once did i wear pants.  the ncl slogan fits here perfectly to your question, freestyle do what you want to do, if you want to dress down do it, dress up do it

LOL the comments that could be made.

We used to love doing the gown/tux thing on formal nights.  Now that NCL doesn't really have formal nights, we've noticed that very few people dress up, and almost nobody wears a tux, even on New Years Eve.  This year, however, DH and I are doing the full dress-up and eating at LeBistro on NYE, whether others are doing that or not.  We miss it.  🙂