Does RCL do anything for Christmas season?

We sailed on Freedom a few years ago at Christmas and on Christmas Day Santa gave every child a gift AND there was cookies and Hot chocolate.,,,on Christmas Eve there was Caroling and “snow” in the promenade with the officers and midnight mass in the theater.  Was a very special cruise!

• Like 1

I can only speak to Liberty of the Seas out of Galveston. 

Some of the items listed above were offered, such as the milk & cookies and Santa stuff. 

BUT - much less holiday charm than we were hoping for overall.

Not as many decorations as I was expecting.  One tree on the promenade.  And decorations in the main dining room along the divider between decks only went half way around and quite a few of the lights didn't work on them.

Also, entertainment was definitely lacking.  For instance, there was never a piano player during dinnertime.

We got lucky a couple of nights when a couple of piano-playing teenagers took over and gave us a show, but no entertainment from RCL.  The evening shows were also cut back way back - all but one show were the same 4 singers, just singing and dancing to different types of music.  The only other show was a very old, stale impressionist. His most recent impression was from the 70s, I believe.

And regarding the holiday meals - whatever you do - do not try the Christmas Cake!  It was so hard you honestly couldn't cut it with a fork.  

It's entirely possible these problems are limited to the Galveston cruises - which is why I wanted to emphasize that this was on Liberty.  It was also our first holiday cruise, so hopefully not typical . . .

we go every Xmas/New Years. They always have a Xmas tree lighting, presents with Santa for the kids and gingerbread house decorating. All sorts of things. This year on the Ovation they are offering Chops holiday dinner for $79 each. The dining room has a holiday menu usually including turkey and ham. Its my favorite time of the year to sail!

Edited by paradise4me

3 hours ago, paradise4me said:

we go every Xmas/New Years. They always have a Xmas tree lighting, presents with Santa for the kids and gingerbread house decorating. All sorts of things. This year on the Ovation they are offering Chops holiday dinner for $79 each.

$79.00 each !!!?    Pretty steep.  What do you get for $79???

4 minutes ago, LrgPizza said:

I don't want to burst anyone's bubble here, but the Santa that shows up isn't the real one.

Are you sure? I was on a cruise and the captain had him on radar. Seems to me that only the real Santa could actually fly to the ship.

On 11/9/2018 at 7:57 AM, philpcruiser said:

$79.00 each !!!?    Pretty steep.  What do you get for $79???

well it says an individual bottle of champagne and a holiday lobster tail 🙂 I love being in the dining room that night as they always do a great job with a holiday menu. Also for new years eve they have hats and noise makers at each seat or at least that what previously we have had.  Its my favorite time of year on the ships!

• Like 1