Jump to content
dritan

Any bloggers in Jan 2019?

Recommended Posts

Hi

With most world cruises starting in Jan, I thought now would be a good time to ask if anyone is blogging their upcoming journey?

Would love to do a world cruise but thats likely to be at least 15 years away. So in the meantime...... 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not this year for us, but we will start in Jan 2020 with daily blog posts from the Viking Sun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Heidi13 - I'll definitely read your previous world cruise blog entries.  And Scrapnana, your trip sounds intriguing - I've enjoyed your previous blogs - particularly like the trivia questions you add 😉

I've book marked both your blogs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2018 at 7:34 AM, dritan said:

Hi

With most world cruises starting in Jan, I thought now would be a good time to ask if anyone is blogging their upcoming journey?

Would love to do a world cruise but thats likely to be at least 15 years away. So in the meantime...... 😁

Hi Im back on the Queen Victoria in February for her world cruise the blog will follow on from this blog here if you are interested..

 

https://butarewethereyet.blogspot.com

 

Good travels Scrapnana, Ill be following your trip as well, will miss you on the Victoria...

Edited by roscoe39

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2018 at 12:49 AM, Scrapnana said:

Not a world cruise but I am doing an 80-day South America/Antarctica cruise in January.  I will be writing a blog and I know at least one other person will also.

https://2019halgv.blogspot.com/

 

 

Awesome! That will be our first long cruise in 2020 (I think). Will follow along on your blog.  🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Guinness1000 said:

Awesome! That will be our first long cruise in 2020 (I think). Will follow along on your blog.  🙂

the south american trip is pretty amazing,  I did it in 2014, the around south america blog is previous to this entry

 

https://roscoesseafever.blogspot.com/2014/02/prepare-to-be-boarded-pitcairn-island.html

 

which goes right back to Rio if you want to see what you are in for. South America has become a preferable area to cruise around rather than the med to me now, much more interesting and the people are less over the influx of tourists that has happened in Europe.

 

You will have an amazing trip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, Roscoe.  South America is one area where I have only been to one port (Cartagena, Columbia) and this cruise does not go their.  Lots and lots of new ports.☺️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few weeks before the world cruises begin check the various cruise line board and I am sure you will find links to several blogs.

 

Still a little early.

 

Keith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I won't be blogging during my 2019 Oceania world cruise, but plan to start a "Live From" thread on the Oceania board.  This way any of my fellow passengers can post and share their experiences too.  Feel free to check it out!  🌏  🛳️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In addition to Go-Bucks on Oceania, you should also get daily reports on the Viking Board from both Viking World Cruises in 2019 - departing early January and again the Ultimate 245 day cruise departing end of August 2019.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fab!  Thanks for the links everyone and the tips - excited about that Insignia 2019 world cruise - maybe they will do a similar itinerary in 15 years time - best get saving now 😉

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dritan said:

Fab!  Thanks for the links everyone and the tips - excited about that Insignia 2019 world cruise - maybe they will do a similar itinerary in 15 years time - best get saving now 😉

 

 

Very true about saving...I've been saving since 1990!

 

Our itinerary (Oceania Insignia 2019) contains virtually all the rest of my bucket list places or my favorite places....the only one left will be a circumnavigation of South America, which I'm hoping to do in the next year or 2. From then on I'll be happy to go anywhere...and plan to travel around the USA more.

Edited by Go-Bucks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/15/2018 at 11:31 PM, Go-Bucks! said:

I won't be blogging during my 2019 Oceania world cruise, but plan to start a "Live From" thread on the Oceania board.  This way any of my fellow passengers can post and share their experiences too.  Feel free to check it out!  🌏  🛳️

I will contribute to this thread as well...for the entire 180 days, hopefully...:classic_smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm hoping to blog while we're on Crystal's world cruise that starts in Jan.

 

I've had several of my own blogs (not cruise related) and maintained blogs for clients but never done one while we've been on a cruise. It's already started (barely). Crystal World Cruise 2019 also called Opals and Romeos ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Any opinions on what's better, wordpress or blogspot?  Or just plain posting to CC.  Or...?

Like most things you will get different opinions.

 

Over the years I used Blogger.  I tried Word Press and didn't care for it but I know plenty of people who prefer it.


Blogger doesn't have advertising and no cost.  Word Press has advertising unless you pay for it.

 

In my case after many years of Blogger and trying out Word Press I evolved to a lesser known one called Weebly and do pay for it although they also have a free version.

 

My recommendation try them all out and see which one, if any, you feel more comfortable with.

 

I do like keeping blogs so we have history of our trips but I will also do some live reports on CC while also doing the blog.

 

Keith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Any opinions on what's better, wordpress or blogspot?  Or just plain posting to CC.  Or...?

I researched most of the blog options available when I started mine back in 2014 - Wordpress.com, Wordpress.org, blogger/blogspot, Weebly, Wix.

 

Quickly removed Wordpress.org as it requires knowledge of coding and web design, also removed blogspot as it is owned by Google and their terms & conditions were onerous. While remote, it could also be dropped by Google at any time.

 

Wordpress.com had extensive help and tutorials and the most themes, so opted for Wordpress. For a complete novice the help and tutorials were invaluable in negotiating the learning curve.

 

With Wordpress you do have a free option, but it does limit the number of themes and the storage. It also subjects your readers to adverts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't really journalled my trips in the past, except for postings to FB and CC, mainly because I don't have a proper keyboard with me. I remember when I got my first smartphone I posted from one of the ships, but the posts were short, twitter-like punchy stuff.  Fun, but not what I want this time, I think.  Other times I'm just posted when I could to CC, although mostly I do it after the fact, i.e., when I get home.  But then I forget a lot of detail.  This time I'd expect to have my laptop along, and time on my hands.  So I might have time to get contemplative instead of just taking photos of food.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Any opinions on what's better, wordpress or blogspot?  Or just plain posting to CC.  Or...?

 

I toyed with the idea of blogging but it ended up sounding like more work than I wish to put forth when the point of the world cruise is to relax and enjoy the many countries.  So instead, I'll be doing a "Live From" thread on the Oceania board.....sounds easier PLUS it will allow any CC member passenger to post to it too....more diversity of experiences.  It also will allow those of us on the cruise to stay in touch with each other and share news/needs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have used Blogger for all of my blogs.  Before I did my first one I asked in the Technology forum and was told basically it was what you are used to.  I tried both Blogger and Word Press and found Blogger easier to use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Go-Bucks! said:

 

I toyed with the idea of blogging but it ended up sounding like more work than I wish to put forth when the point of the world cruise is to relax and enjoy the many countries.  So instead, I'll be doing a "Live From" thread on the Oceania board.....sounds easier PLUS it will allow any CC member passenger to post to it too....more diversity of experiences.  It also will allow those of us on the cruise to stay in touch with each other and share news/needs. 

 

Go-Bucks, I've done that once or twice, but even that is a burden, athough I may do a "Live From" thread, or participate in a joint one. Then probably opt for just my own journal--I like to write, and get down impressions of places. .  It's only the length of the cruise with the number of sea days, and my own keyboard that would make me even think of doing this. Then I can post what and if I like.  I like posting on Facebook too, and my friends there are very different from my cruise buddies on CC, and I can broaden my comments a bit and say things I wouldn't say on CC. 

 

Just thought I'd explore the blogging sw.  I have two years, after all, lol!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

 

Go-Bucks, I've done that once or twice, but even that is a burden, athough I may do a "Live From" thread, or participate in a joint one. Then probably opt for just my own journal--I like to write, and get down impressions of places. .  It's only the length of the cruise with the number of sea days, and my own keyboard that would make me even think of doing this. Then I can post what and if I like.  I like posting on Facebook too, and my friends there are very different from my cruise buddies on CC, and I can broaden my comments a bit and say things I wouldn't say on CC. 

 

Just thought I'd explore the blogging sw.  I have two years, after all, lol!

 

I've kept a journal (short entries) of every day of every cruise I've ever taken because I scrapbook each trip and need a memory refresher when I do it.  This trip will be the same....my own journal, but then I'll send some of those entries via email to my friends and family, along with some pics.  I'm not on Facebook or any other social media.

 

But I think the CC thread will be manageable because several of our roll call folks have said that they'll add their experiences too...this won't just be by me.  And it will allow all of us on the ship to keep in touch with each other.  Hope it works; I was very disappointed that no one on the 2018 O cruise did any threads or blogs....I was really hoping to hear all about theirs.  Oh well....:classic_unsure:  I'll definitely be following yours in a couple years!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Go-Bucks! said:

...

But I think the CC thread will be manageable because several of our roll call folks have said that they'll add their experiences too...this won't just be by me.  And it will allow all of us on the ship to keep in touch with each other.  Hope it works; I was very disappointed that no one on the 2018 O cruise did any threads or blogs....I was really hoping to hear all about theirs.  Oh well....:classic_unsure:  I'll definitely be following yours in a couple years!

 

I'll look for the thread on the Oceania board (don't read it much any more, although the recent thread about plastic straws has been entertaining.)  You must be pretty excited by now. Which variation are you on?  I presume you live in Florida so I'm thinking you'll start in Miami.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

 

I'll look for the thread on the Oceania board (don't read it much any more, although the recent thread about plastic straws has been entertaining.)  You must be pretty excited by now. Which variation are you on?  I presume you live in Florida so I'm thinking you'll start in Miami.

 

Wish I lived in Florida!  It's 20 degrees outside my house right now with snow on the ground.  After I get back from the cruise, I'm thinking of moving to FL or at least be a snowbird. 

 

I'll be starting the cruise in Los Angeles.  It seemed silly to start in NYC in January (cold and possibly rough seas)...they'll just have 3 sea days before getting to Miami.  The trip from Miami to LA are all ports that my friend and I have been to before (did a MIA-LA Panama canal, plus we were in Cuba last year) so we saved $5,000 by skipping those and just starting in LA.  I am getting excited, but there are so many last minute things still on the list to do and buy.  Trying to see all doctors and dentists this month since my deductible is paid.  😉

 

As far as the ship things, the luggage delivery is all that's left.  I do have the suitcases out and have been adding things as I get them or pull out of closets. Won't actually pack clothing till soon before, though. I still have 4 weeks left to work, so most packing and shopping will happen after I retire Jan. 2.

 

That straw issue is unbelievable.  Sheesh....I hope I don't have to go buy myself a pack of straws to take.  I prefer to drink out of straws, but I do have my own big cup to take so that might help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Huh, I just assumed you were from Florida from your screen name!

 

I'm on the other side of the fence about straws, and little tubs of butter, etc.  Can't see why someone hasn't concocted a good paper straw by now--we used to have them when I was a kid.

 

How was the visa process with Oceania?  Was it smooth?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Huh, I just assumed you were from Florida from your screen name!

 

I'm on the other side of the fence about straws, and little tubs of butter, etc.  Can't see why someone hasn't concocted a good paper straw by now--we used to have them when I was a kid.

 

How was the visa process with Oceania?  Was it smooth?

 

As you can see from my Avatar, the team that I support is The Ohio State University Buckeyes!  My alma mater.

 

Very easy visa process....filled out the Australia form and sent back to O with a passport pic.  Downloaded Myanmar and Vietnam forms, filled out and will take to embarkation with passport photos.  VisaCentral handled the China and India visas....filled out online applications (not too hard if you follow instructions exactly) and printed out, then sent them with pics and my passport to the VisaCentral office.  Only took about 2 weeks.  They sent the passport back with the visas already stuck onto pages.  People on the NYC or MIA segments also have to get a Cuban visa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Go-Bucks! said:

 

As you can see from my Avatar, the team that I support is The Ohio State University Buckeyes!  My alma mater.

 

Very easy visa process....filled out the Australia form and sent back to O with a passport pic.  Downloaded Myanmar and Vietnam forms, filled out and will take to embarkation with passport photos.  VisaCentral handled the China and India visas....filled out online applications (not too hard if you follow instructions exactly) and printed out, then sent them with pics and my passport to the VisaCentral office.  Only took about 2 weeks.  They sent the passport back with the visas already stuck onto pages.  People on the NYC or MIA segments also have to get a Cuban visa.

 

Thanks for the info.  Is "VisaCentral" associated with Oceania?  On our cruise, Regent is supposed to take care of everything, which should be interesting, seeing we're Canadian (and in a city with many consulates, so might be easier ourselves.)

 

Bucks.  You can tell I'm not a football fan.  I think of the Bucks as the Tampa Bay Buckaneers, which I'm only familiar with because we spend the winter near Tampa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Thanks for the info.  Is "VisaCentral" associated with Oceania?  On our cruise, Regent is supposed to take care of everything, which should be interesting, seeing we're Canadian (and in a city with many consulates, so might be easier ourselves.)

 

 

 

No, I don't think Oceania is connected to VisaCentral. O also "took care of everything", but you still have to fill out applications for certain countries and give them passport pics. The cruiseline pays the visa company and has them contact you.

When we got our Cuban visa last year, Oceania did all the work...as they will do for our UAE visa. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wendy - We are on the 2019 Regent World Cruise.  Regent took care of all of our visas.  They do use Visa Central.  But, you mail the paperwork to a New York address.  Visa Central then sends it to a visa service in your area.  In our case, they sent it to a visa service in Chicago.  That company will actually get all of your visas.  It might be easier to do it yourself but then you will have to pay the fees.  We felt the entire process was very easy.  Some visas you will have to get on the ship.  Regent sends you the link to print the applications.  You just fill them out, get the number of passport pictures needed, and bring everything with you.  The entire process was very easy.  Just make sure you do not need your passports for another trip prior to your World Cruise.  Then you might have to expedite everything which is at your expense.  Hope this helped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, HotRoot said:

Wendy - We are on the 2019 Regent World Cruise.  Regent took care of all of our visas.  They do use Visa Central.  But, you mail the paperwork to a New York address.  Visa Central then sends it to a visa service in your area.  In our case, they sent it to a visa service in Chicago.  That company will actually get all of your visas.  It might be easier to do it yourself but then you will have to pay the fees.  We felt the entire process was very easy.  Some visas you will have to get on the ship.  Regent sends you the link to print the applications.  You just fill them out, get the number of passport pictures needed, and bring everything with you.  The entire process was very easy.  Just make sure you do not need your passports for another trip prior to your World Cruise.  Then you might have to expedite everything which is at your expense.  Hope this helped.

 

Thanks, indeed it does.  You must be very excited! Do you remember by chance if they told you how many blank pages you needed in your passport?  I know your route is different from ours, just trying to get an idea if we're going to need new passports by then.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

 

Thanks, indeed it does.  You must be very excited! Do you remember by chance if they told you how many blank pages you needed in your passport?  I know your route is different from ours, just trying to get an idea if we're going to need new passports by then.

 

Not many.  Maybe 6 or 8?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, HotRoot said:

 

Not many.  Maybe 6 or 8?

 

Great, thanks.  As far as doing trips before our cruise in 2021, we're saving up, so won't be doing any big trips until then (if we can stand it!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, HotRoot said:

 

Not many.  Maybe 6 or 8?

That is amazing.  Did they tell you in advance that would be the case?

 

I only ask because we have taken seven full world cruises (another cruise line) plus one that was 3/4 of a full world cruise.  Each world cruise had a different requirement for blank visas but in general around 20 to 24 and I would say in the end on average about 14 well filled with stamps.

 

I do realize that this can all vary by itinerary but I was just surprised to hear such a low blank count.

 

Have a wonderful time.  We have some friends who will be on the one you are on.

 

Keith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

That is amazing.  Did they tell you in advance that would be the case?

 

I only ask because we have taken seven full world cruises (another cruise line) plus one that was 3/4 of a full world cruise.  Each world cruise had a different requirement for blank visas but in general around 20 to 24 and I would say in the end on average about 14 well filled with stamps.

 

I do realize that this can all vary by itinerary but I was just surprised to hear such a low blank count.

 

Have a wonderful time.  We have some friends who will be on the one you are on.

 

Keith

 

Interesting. Let's see, few of the countries on my list need the full-blown one or two page visa deal with photo: India comes to mind, and possibly Jordan.

 

Most are are "visa on arrival" or e-visa/ETA countries that probably don't need a photo:  Australia, Singapore, Thailand, Indonesia,  Sri Lanka, UAE, Egypt, Turkey. Some of these will probably be "ship-wide" visas and not even involve our passports, like Oman.  But some will no doubt need a page.

 

Other countries that don't require visa for me (Canadian), but will need space for stamps, including possibly entry and exit stamps:  Ecuador, Peru, Chile, French Polynesia, New Zealand, Indonesia,  Malaysia, Israel.  Then there's Europe, presumably at least one entry upon entering Schengen.

 

I would have to research each one to know if they need two full pages, one full page, or entry and exit stamps.  These latter include French Polynesia, Peru and Ecuador, and probably many others.  

 

Just ballparking this, I could easily imagine needing at least 16-20 pages.  I'll have to wait and see.  My passport is fairly new and has a fair amount of space, but I'll have to take advice from the cruise line when the time comes.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes hopefully the cruise line will advise.

 

We sail with Crystal Cruises and they let us know how many blank pages we will need for each World Cruise.

 

Keith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Wendy.

In addition to the full page pre-issued visa from India that will be pasted in, you will get entry and exit stamps from pretty well all the countries even if they just give a visa or permission on the spot. In places like India you will get these stamps at each of the ports within the country, they're bureaucratic. Returning from Europe you will also get one last stamp departing from the airport. A flight via London adds entry/exit there too.

 

I dug out an old passport, in a 2007 trip from Hong Kong to Rome touching 16 countries, 12 pages were used up with these entry/exit stamps. Singapore, Thailand, Indonesia, UAE, Oman and Egypt all stamped our passports in and out. The ship wide approval just meant that the purser took care of it one sitting with the officials. You won't get extra stamps while you stay within the Schengen countries but I think it would be cautious to assume you will get a pair of stamps at all the other countries you visit.

 

There are 30 stamp pages in the current Canadian passport. So with 30 countries on your itinerary my own thought would be that unless you have not used more than 3-4 pages it might be best to obtain a new passport in late spring 2020. Passport Canada may want to see your itinerary to be convinced that a renewal would be prudent however. Oceania mentioned having our passport number available by the time of final payment although nothing came of it.

 

I'm under the impression that passport problems are not something that can be fixed up on the spot with a cost of a few hundred dollars. I think your travel comes to a standstill for a number of days when things go wrong and hotels and replacement air tickets get bought at full price. This is a low risk but a big consequence.

 

Regarding Visas, Oceania's ATW19 perks included them too. We got an email from O containing forms for Cuba and Australia to fill out and email back. We got forms for Vietnam and Myanmar to fill out, attach pictures to and turn in when we boarded at the start of the cruise. We got a PDF package from VisaCentral.CA for China and India. We filled out the China one, entered the Indian one online then took the printouts and pictures to their subsidiary's office (CIBT) here in Vancouver. They walked it to the consulates in Vancouver and we picked it up in 3 weeks. They could have equally well gone in by mail or courier but with the office a 40 minute bus ride from home I felt more comfortable going there.

 

Sitting down with their man who visits these consulates several times a week was very valuable because of his expertise. Despite much reading I had still made a mistake on my Indian visa. Not only did this require completely reentering both of our applications, I went home to do it because I was going to need Darlene's signature on the revised printout. O paid for all the consulate fees, which ranged from a little to lots, and paid for Visa Central's fees.

 

The info package helped us with the not inconsiderable photos as well, there are several required sizes and you should get extras too. We got ours at the camera department of a western drug store chain, they were better poses and lower cost than Walmart. It took them about 45 minutes by the time they printed, cut and stamped them all.

 

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Victory Cruise Lines Sweepstakes - Enter now for a chance to win a free 9-night cruise on Victory II
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2018
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Community Contests
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×