Recent Riveria guests bringing personal alcohol onboard

Marie50

I have to agree ... it's never been the case on Oceania you couldn't bring hard liquor on board, and I assume they same holds for beer.

WHERE you can drink it may be another question for lamkingofall.  Perhaps that is what (s)he is remembering.

Mura

9 hours ago, LHT28 said:

why would you need to HIDE  your stash  boarding an Oceania cruise ?

they will allow you to carry reasonable amount onboard  with you to enjoy in your cabin

From the Oceania site : "

• 4 months ago Updated  We are pleased to inform you that Oceania Cruises has revised the policy for bringing wine onboard.We have now increased the limit to 6 bottles per stateroom.

" We ask that guests let us know they are bringing wine on-board so the ship can be advised. Guests are welcome to enjoy their wine in the comfort and privacy of their stateroom or suite, or, if they prefer, may enjoy their wine in one of the ship’s dining rooms. "  ….The stated policy is  and was WINE  That's what it says ,  WINE . It doesn't state Liquor or Beer .So, if I'm coming on board with anything other than WINE .I'm going to hide it . In case you have a hard time visualizing , as I pull up to the port after stopping off to make a buy , I have to get it into the luggage . It would be best to make the cab let you stash it prior to getting to the port , but the last time we brought it on we waited until we pulled up .  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRr4C3tOrrc  I will add that I gladly paid corkage in the dining room numerous times .As well as bought drinks on board .But the drinks on board are certainly not real generous and the beer selection is somewhat limited .

Edited by iamkingofall
I'm resting my case .

7 hours ago, iamkingofall said:

• 4 months ago Updated  We are pleased to inform you that Oceania Cruises has revised the policy for bringing wine onboard.We have now increased the limit to 6 bottles per stateroom.

" We ask that guests let us know they are bringing wine on-board so the ship can be advised. Guests are welcome to enjoy their wine in the comfort and privacy of their stateroom or suite, or, if they prefer, may enjoy their wine in one of the ship’s dining rooms. "  ….The stated policy is  and was WINE  That's what it says ,  WINE . It doesn't state Liquor or Beer .So, if I'm coming on board with anything other than WINE .I'm going to hide it . In case you have a hard time visualizing , as I pull up to the port after stopping off to make a buy , I have to get it into the luggage . It would be best to make the cab let you stash it prior to getting to the port , but the last time we brought it on we waited until we pulled up .  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRr4C3tOrrc  I will add that I gladly paid corkage in the dining room numerous times .As well as bought drinks on board .But the drinks on board are certainly not real generous and the beer selection is somewhat limited .

Do what you need to. Or you can listen to people who know. 

On my last two cruises, one last April, I just walked on with my bourbon in hand through the line and had no issues. Just drink it in the room. Nice perk from all the other cruise lines I have been on. I would not try to do anything against the rules so again, nice to be able to do this. Julia

9 hours ago, iamkingofall said:

BUT  you can bring spirits & beer  without  a problem  as long as you drink it in the cabin ...same unwritten policy as always  but for those that abuse the generous rules  they will pull out the written policy

If you do want to stash it in your  bags  do you not think they will find it  you were not allowed to  bring it onboard ??

Iamkingofall;

If you have ever actually sailed Oceania in the past, your comments reflected either very faulty memory or trolling. They were however in either case inaccurate , as has been pointed out by multiple others.

For the hundredth time this thread should be a sticky! 

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

BUT  you can bring spirits & beer  without  a problem  as long as you drink it in the cabin ...same unwritten policy as always  but for those that abuse the generous rules  they will pull out the written policy

If you do want to stash it in your  bags  do you not think they will find it  you were not allowed to  bring it onboard ??

Please stop with " the drink it only in your cabin " spiel .Got it . Have understood that part for years . The point is , the written policy is six bottles of wine . And yes you could probably carry more  on . Or stash it in your bags .To address your question ,  they could find it prior to delivering your bags . COULD , but with the volume of bags processed , in the time available , I highly doubt they can screen for bootleg booze on even 20 or 30 % of the luggage brought on .There must be a method of detecting some sort terrorist device , go ahead laugh .But as far as detecting what is in a bottle spotted on an X ray , with thousands and thousands of bags in a reasonable amount of time ? Not likely .  Now , class . CLASS !  Lets assume that you did get pinched . What's your gripe ? …." Excuse me , the UNWRITTEN POLICY states you can bring on what you would like " ....  " Oh right , that's what the unwritten policy says …..Wait a cotton pickin minute . Unwritten ?  " …" Yeah I  heard about it on Cruise Critic " ….".No sir , the policy is clearly stated in the brochure .Read it " . That is what I have patiently tried to illuminate .  I have had some of this discussion apparently deleted .I have been referred to  as a troller , an unworthy passenger of Oceania due to financial status , I don't think anyone has called me an outright liar . Although it's been implied that I have never actually been on an Oceania ship . This discussion , and that's all this  is , has reached the ridiculous level . But let's go further .Make a long story just a little bit longer . If I call Oceania  and ask ? … What will they tell me ?...       " Oh don't worry , just look up the unwritten policy ….. Look it up ? But it's unwritten ? Hmmm , well in that case sir , you may have to go with what is written "  Argue it til you turn blue .I'm not telling anybody to not BYOB , but the point is , if you do get pinched , your SOL .

Edited by iamkingofall
I don't seem to be able to find the unwritten policy in the Oceania rules

18 minutes ago, iamkingofall said:

Please stop with " the drink it only in your cabin " spiel .Got it . Have understood that part for years .

WHOA  somebody got up on the wrong side of the bed today

:classic_ohmy:

Whatever the policy, in *practice* O has not yet confiscated any wine or alcohol I have brought on board (whether initial boarding or at a port).  I think once we were under the printed limits at initial boarding, all other cruises we have been over the printed limits.  For this issue, practice is generally more liberal than policy, it appears.

So far I haven't seen any report on CC of an O passenger having alcohol confiscated at boarding - doesn't mean it hasn't ever happened, but certainly doesn't seem to be likely.  

This suggests that "hiding" alcohol at boarding may be a wasted effort.

I suspect that if practice becomes more restrictive (that is, closer to the letter of the written policy), there will be plenty of posts here to report the change 😉 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, babysteps said:

Whatever the policy, in *practice* O has not yet confiscated any wine or alcohol I have brought on board (whether initial boarding or at a port).  I think once we were under the printed limits at initial boarding, all other cruises we have been over the printed limits.  For this issue, practice is generally more liberal than policy, it appears.

So far I haven't seen any report on CC of an O passenger having alcohol confiscated at boarding - doesn't mean it hasn't ever happened, but certainly doesn't seem to be likely.  

This suggests that "hiding" alcohol at boarding may be a wasted effort.

I suspect that if practice becomes more restrictive (that is, closer to the letter of the written policy), there will be plenty of posts here to report the change 😉 

By George , you just may have summed it all up . I hereby bestow upon thee , the last word award  !

Trophy.jpg

Edited by iamkingofall
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Shawnino said:

On Riviera atm.

Guests brought alcohol aboard at embarkation and at every port.

what the ship would NOT do was receive it on your behalf. You had to schlep it on personally.

No foolin ? That's pretty free and easy . I'm sure they don't want a confrontation with any passenger over losing a few bucks at the bar .  I hope it  continues . Somebody starts a stampede and they could drop the ax .