Recent Riveria guests bringing personal alcohol onboard

Marie50

I know this has been asked several times, but I would like some recent information as to bringing personal liquor onboard.  Some say yes and some say no and Oceania Policies are sometimes vague.  Could I possibly take a bottle of Vodka onboard for consumption in my stateroom?  I know I can take wine, but am more concerned with the Vodka.  Anyone know for sure from very recent travel?  Thanks

1 hour ago, Marie50 said:

I know this has been asked several times, but I would like some recent information as to bringing personal liquor onboard.  Some say yes and some say no and Oceania Policies are sometimes vague.  Could I possibly take a bottle of Vodka onboard for consumption in my stateroom?  I know I can take wine, but am more concerned with the Vodka.  Anyone know for sure from very recent travel?  Thanks

Several times? Try a zillion times.

in any case, the "new" Oceania CYA statement is   six 750 ml bottles of wine max at embarkation. However, I have never seen any limit enforced on wine or spirits. Of course, spirits must be consumed only in your cabin and wine can be brought to a dining venue for $25 corkage per bottle.

We pretty much always bring 6-12 bottles of wine aboard whether it's an O or R ship. In fact we boarded Sirena this past Monday with a case of wine. We also picked up some rum in Santa Lucia yesterday.

A couple of suggestions:

PLEASE don't bring personal booze out of your stateroom including a glass of your wine to dinner. This is absolutely "low rent" on Oceania.

Also, since you'll pay $25 corkage on a bottle you bring to dinner, don't buy cheap wine. You're on vacation. So that $75 bottle (retail) of estate "whatever" from NorCal will be a bargain (even with the corkage fee) when you compare the cost to the ship's 300+\-% pricing for mostly mediocre selections.

31 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

if they change the unwritten policy  you will read about it here  🙂

So far no rants on them confiscating spirits   we had no problem in July  but  that was  4 mths ago 🤣

Did you carry in your checked or carry on luggage?

27 minutes ago, Dlo15341 said:

Did you carry in your checked or carry on luggage?

Unless we're embarking in SF (home), we pack collapsible cardboard carriers in our checked airline bags (very light/compact) and then shop at wine stores we've researched before the cruise (e.g., the Australian Wine Center in Sydney).

IMG_1175.JPG

I wonder if you are only taking 1-2 bottles  of something  would you need a big box??

I took a couple of bottle bags as I knew we were bringing at least 1 bottle  home

something like theseimage.png.5812cdf6a3c279ea07e91d974fa9e7cf.png

8 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I wonder if you are only taking 1-2 bottles  of something  would you need a big box??

I took a couple of bottle bags as I knew we were bringing at least 1 bottle  home

Those winery boxes come in 2,3,4,6 bottle sizes. If we're taking a case, we split it in two of the sixers.

46 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Do these *really* keep wine bottles intact if put in checked luggage (including wrapping in some additional cushioning?  Checked luggage can get handled awfully roughly at times, and never "gently".

We have wine in our cellar that we'd love to take, and it can't be purchased at all nowadays, although there are rough equivalents, but at staggering prices now.  (I just checked Total Wine in Miami's website.)

Years ago, we used to be able to carry a couple of bottles aboard flights, and handle them like babies...  no more, of course.

GC

36 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Do these *really* keep wine bottles intact if put in checked luggage (including wrapping in some additional cushioning?  Checked luggage can get handled awfully roughly at times, and never "gently".

GC

I put the wine in checked bag flying to AMS  it survived fine   the suitcase is another story 😉

I put the  Cognac in on the way home ..it was fine

The ones I got  are a bit thicker looking 

did pad them as well

34 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I put the wine in checked bag flying to AMS  it survived fine   the suitcase is another story 😉

I put the  Cognac in on the way home ..it was fine

The ones I got  are a bit thicker looking 

did pad them as well

Thanks very much.

Is there a link you can share?

GC

Just now, GeezerCouple said:

Thanks very much.

Is there a link you can share?

GC

the bags I got from the luggage store  2pk for about $20 CAD

not sure if you have Bentley's  in the USA 

will if they have a name brand on the bag

19 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

the bags I got from the luggage store  2pk for about $20 CAD

not sure if you have Bentley's  in the USA 

will if they have a name brand on the bag

Is it called "Tracker" on the package?  That's what I can find on the Canadian website.

Thanks!

GC

2 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

Is it called "Tracker" on the package?  That's what I can find on the Canadian website.

Thanks!

GC

yes  that is the one

Sorry I lied about the cognac bottle  the base was too large to go in the bag ..wine bottles are fine though 😉

I had  some bubble wrap  I wrapped it  in that then in some clothes & padded it in the suitcase ..it made it home OK

I have used the wine skins available from Amazon and similar items that I purchased from Magellan -- I think Magellan has changed its supplier since I purchased their products.

I don't take enough to need a separate carrier, so I just put them in my suitcase -- whether coming or going, I've never had any problems.

And to answer the first question, I bring on vodka with no problem.  Like you, I wouldn't consider taking my glass to a public venue!  But it's nice to be able to host a few people in the room as well.

Mura

This is a perfect example of a thread that should be made a Sticky. ( See thread entitled “ Have you noticed”) As in the first reply to the OP, this question is asked ad naseum because some posters refuse to do any search at all. Make it a Sticky, right in front of their nose!

as Lyn replied “ If there had been any change to the current policy, you would have already read about it here”! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, pinotlover said:

This is a perfect example of a thread that should be made a Sticky. ( See thread entitled “ Have you noticed”) As in the first reply to the OP, this question is asked ad naseum because some posters refuse to do any search at all. Make it a Sticky, right in front of their nose!

as Lyn replied “ If there had been any change to the current policy, you would have already read about it here”! 

Yes and no, as the sticky would not address the RECENT aspect of the OP's question.

I find the "Free Shuttles" sticky virtually unusable for a similar reason.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hello , been years since I've posted .Haven't done a cruise in 5 or 6 years .But  we have done Oceania at least three times and really liked it . That they allow ANY alcohol is way better than most , if not all lines .Wine is allowed .As I recall , beer and liquor are not .  I am not ambitious enough to go to the site and read through , as we have no current  plans to cruise . With me ,beer is a must .A 24 OZ can of Sapporo , or Fosters works well , and have flown them in my luggage .   I usually take some , buy some in the ports . We take some vodka and a bit of whiskey and it always gets on . We have had the cab stop on our way to the ship in Florida . It's  a little weird as you pull  up to the ship .The porters are hot to take you luggage and your trying to load your stash while on the curb .If doing more than a couple weeks ,it gets a little more difficult . There is always the old , plastic water bottle trick . Don't go overboard on the quantities and I think you'll be fine . And don't give me the cheapskate moniker .I wear it proudly .

Edited by iamkingofall
I'm so fascinating

12 minutes ago, iamkingofall said:

The porters are hot to take you luggage and your trying to load your stash while on the curb .If doing more than a couple weeks ,it gets a little more difficult . There is always the old , plastic water bottle trick . Don't go overboard on the quantities and I think you'll be fine . And don't give me the cheapskate moniker .I wear it proudly .

why would you need to HIDE  your stash  boarding an Oceania cruise ?

they will allow you to carry reasonable amount onboard  with you to enjoy in your cabin

Not sure if you meant that it's Oceania that doesn't permit beer and hard liquor.

If so, not true.  Yes, it's for consumption in your room, not just anywhere on the ship, but you aren't breaking any rules by bringing it on board.

• Like 1