Close/safe beach for a few hours/half day

petuniaflower

No beaches near the pier, and no need to book an excursion through the cruise line. Take a few minutes to read recent threads that are very helpful on this topic like this one -

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2597602-looking-for-a-beach-recommendation/

Cane Garden Bay for more amenities, Brewers for a more casual, old Caribbean feel.

Long Bay (West End) for a long, picture postcard beach, I believe the Long Bay Beach Club restaurant is open, verify with the nice ladies at the information center or with your driver. Taxi fare is more, $12pp for adults...

• Like 1

On 11/18/2018 at 12:40 AM, petuniaflower said:

Is there a beach walking distance from the terminal?  If not, what is the closest but still nice beach that is ok for a family?  This is a new island for us and we usually dont like doing excursions thru the cruise lines as we find them overpriced.

Thx

Yeah you won't be disappointed with Cane Garden Bay, one of the most beautiful beaches in the Caribbean. Tortola is one of my favorite islands, very safe and very friendly people. Have fun

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone been to Brewers Bay Beach lately?  We were in Tortola two weeks ago and told the taxi driver that we wanted to go to Brewers Bay. He said it was closed. I’ve wondered ever since if that was true, or if he just wanted us to agree to go to Cane Garden Bay with everyone else.

6 hours ago, luvcruzing said:

Has anyone been to Brewers Bay Beach lately?  We were in Tortola two weeks ago and told the taxi driver that we wanted to go to Brewers Bay. He said it was closed. I’ve wondered ever since if that was true, or if he just wanted us to agree to go to Cane Garden Bay with everyone else.

Following.  We'll be there in a couple of days.

GC

11 hours ago, luvcruzing said:

Yes unless something drastic happened since November 16 Brewers is open. Below is an update from a resident on Nov 16.

Brewers update. The beach in decent shape. Still more stones than their used to be but the winter swells should finish clearing that up. The large palm grove that supplied shade was severely damaged so I'd suggest bringing an umbrella if you want shade. I have not been snorkeling but no reason to think it has changed much.

Nicole's is the only option for establishments. Last month he was still working on rebuilding the kitchen but did have drinks and chairs available.  

It's still one of my favorite beaches!

Well, seems it was open since we were there on November 15th.

The mention of stones in the water reminds me that we also went to Saphire Beach in St. Thomas on that trip, and the there was a huge amount of stones in the water this time, making it very difficult to walk in or out. Also, seemed like all the visitors were huddled around a small area of shade. We will be back in St. Thomas in late January. I think we’ll be looking for a different beach to visit.

I’ve been following reports from residents since Irma and Brewers was certainly open. Nicole’s was in the process of rebuilding the kitchen but was serving drinks well before your visit. You were just on one of the several shared safari taxis full of people going to CGB and the driver should have directed you to another taxi. When we’ve stayed in CGB we’d say goodbye to hundreds of cruisers as they piled back into the taxis.

The stones mentioned at Brewers are smaller and were a result of the hurricane, I’m sure the beach is improving all the time. Sapphire Beach actually has the ironshore along the condo area (bldgs B and up) while the sandy wading area is in front of bldg A and the dive center. Occasionally rougher currents will shift the sand, exposing rocks, but generally it is very sandy there. There is a sea grass area to the left as you face the water. 

Yes the majority of day visitors to Sapphire tend to huddle around the dive center and sandy swimming area, but those wanting to avoid that simply have their lounges placed over in front of the ironshore area for shade and gorgeous views without the crowd, and walk over to the swimming area to enter the water. Or you can just wear water shoes to enter the water from your lounge since that is where you access the coral. Sapphire is gorgeous and we wouldn’t go to another beach, unless we were taking a lunch and laying on our towels at beautiful Lindqvist...

A new update from Beautiful Bill, a friend and owner at Sapphire -

“The dive shop has moved over to the area near Crystal Cove. Now with the grill, bar, and dive shop in that direction the day visitors are over there. 

By January the new coffee shop should be open and also serving soft serve ice cream later in the day.”

Great news!

After thinking about it further, I remember that it was the dispatcher and not the taxi driver who said that Brewers was closed. Either way it was disappointing. CGB was okay, but I loved the uncrowded beach at Brewers.

Where is the ironshore area at Saphire?

Edited by luvcruzing

And it could have very well have been closed for a short period. CGB was closed to swimmers for a matter of days not long ago due to water test result, they test regularly.

At Sapphire where the taxis drop you straight ahead and to the left is the sandier swimming area, and depending on currents there may be some exposed rocks there. To the right of the walkway is Sapphire Beach Resort & Marina condo building “A”. Buildings “B”, “C”, “D”, and “E” are next in a row, “F” faces the marina. The ironshore is in front of the condo buildings between the sandy area and Pretty Klip Point...There was nice shade right along the water there, we haven’t been since Irma stripped much of the greenery but am reading the sea grape trees are recovering.

Along the shore is public, back by the volleyball net is part of the condo property. At Secret Harour Resort, in contrast, they had a separate section for day visitors not sure how much they enforce that...

There may be condo owners or renters sitting along the water in front of the condo bldgs, but all the owners we’ve met while staying there are very nice, and some will point out the best snorkel spots that week or give you info on the condos if you are interested. Sapphire is our favorite place to stay on STT as you are really oceanfront with gorgeous views and the waves at night, as well as a short drive into Red Hook for dining and music, and to other beaches.

We do take water shoes wherever we go as you never know how the sand is any given day...and also protects against jellyfish or other things when a concern...

Edited by blue_water
Typo

• 1 month later...
On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 11:30 PM, VermeulT said:

I appreciate this info.

Hi there we didn't get to meet but were on Koningsdam with you guys. Were going back to Tortola and St. Thomas on our next cruise so I wanted to touch base and see what beach you ended up at and if you would recommend. We did Virgin Gorda and the Baths with HAL but its not offered on this trip. We wanted to take our kids there since there coming with us this time. Also in St Thomas we went to Secret Harbor for the day but was disappointed... Any suggestion you have or info to share is appreciated.

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 11:54 AM, luvcruzing said:

Well, seems it was open since we were there on November 15th.

The mention of stones in the water reminds me that we also went to Saphire Beach in St. Thomas on that trip, and the there was a huge amount of stones in the water this time, making it very difficult to walk in or out. Also, seemed like all the visitors were huddled around a small area of shade. We will be back in St. Thomas in late January. I think we’ll be looking for a different beach to visit.

Did you end up at a different beach on St Thomas and if so what were your thoughts? Going back in June and was thinking of Saphire until I read your post. We did Secret Harbor and was disappointed with the limited space allowed for non resort people plus the restaurant/bar staff were very rude and average food was very expensive for what you got.

8 hours ago, Fivelinks said:

Hi there we didn't get to meet but were on Koningsdam with you guys. Were going back to Tortola and St. Thomas on our next cruise so I wanted to touch base and see what beach you ended up at and if you would recommend. We did Virgin Gorda and the Baths with HAL but its not offered on this trip. We wanted to take our kids there since there coming with us this time. Also in St Thomas we went to Secret Harbor for the day but was disappointed... Any suggestion you have or info to share is appreciated.

In Tortola we took a cab ($16 pp round trip) to Cane Garden Bay.  It was beautiful.  Highly recommend if you want a nice beach break.

St Thomas - we didn't get off the ship.  Been there many times and weren't up for crowds.  My sister took the sky ride to the top of the mountain right by the port.  She enjoyed it. Said the view was lovely and was well worth it.

Enjoy your next trip!

Definitely recommend Sapphire on STT, gorgeous beach with amenities. There are sandy areas as well as rocky areas. You will see other day visitors of course, but you do not have to huddle with everyone like at Secret Harbour. If you want a beach day with no fellow cruisers look at Hull Bay or Elysian Beach.

For Tortola there are also some gorgeous beach options, just depends on whether you prefer being with your fellow cruisers (CGB) or on your own...When on a gorgeous island we look for less crowded spots which means few amenities of course...

Edited by blue_water