AMEX Offer...It's Back!

AryMay

Thank you so much for posting this offer.  I had read about an offer on AMEX several months ago, but it was not available on my Hilton Honors AMEX.  When I saw your post, I logged in to my AMEX account and there it was.  My cruise was paid for, but I thought I would give it a try for OBC.  I added the offer to my card, went on the HAL Website and bought $500 OBC for my upcoming cruise.  It's taken a couple of days, but the $100 credit just posted to my AMEX account.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lcand1923 said:

Thank you so much for posting this offer.  I had read about an offer on AMEX several months ago, but it was not available on my Hilton Honors AMEX.  When I saw your post, I logged in to my AMEX account and there it was.  My cruise was paid for, but I thought I would give it a try for OBC.  I added the offer to my card, went on the HAL Website and bought $500 OBC for my upcoming cruise.  It's taken a couple of days, but the $100 credit just posted to my AMEX account.

Just to confirm - you do not need to book the OBC through your TA, but can get the credit by purchasing directly from the HAL web site?

3 hours ago, doublebzz said:

Just to confirm - you do not need to book the OBC through your TA, but can get the credit by purchasing directly from the HAL web site?

Was surprised by that too!  No one’s received it that way before.  Including me!

Sorry, I have not responded sooner.  Yes, I purchased the OBC directly through the HAL website.  (I had done this before on a similar AMEX offer that I used for OBC on a Princess cruise.)  I added the offer to my Hilton Honors AMEX card and verified it was there.  I then logged into my HAL account, went to the specific cruise that had been booked and purchased the OBC through the website.  I got the confirmation from HAL that the purchase had been made.  The purchase showed as PENDING on my AMEX account for about three days.  It then POSTED.  It took a couple of more days on my AMEX account page for the Credit to post, but it did post.  No, I did not use my TA.  (The period of time matched what I had experienced with the AMEX offer on the above mentioned Princess cruise.)

My purchased through my TA shows on my account as Holland America Web Order and it posted the credit right away. I actually received the Amex email before I got the confirmation from my TA.

I don't anticipate any problems, but I'll report back once my statement closes and the credit posts. (You get the email that you've used the offer right away, but the credit itself posts when your billing period closes.)

Edited by POA1
Update on credit
  • Like 1

On 12/2/2018 at 7:47 AM, doublebzz said:

I just made the purchase on Thursday and its still in a "pending" status. Will keep you posted.

On 12/2/2018 at 1:05 AM, scottee said:

Did it end up working?

Today my $500 on board credit, which I purchased on the HAL web site, posted along with the $100 credit to my account.

11 hours ago, Joken35 said:

Our TA could not added this to our HAL cruise since it was paid In full , but did on our new booking on Princess for 2020. 

Not sure what you are saying here. I also purchased my cruise through a TA, which has been paid in full,  but then purchased the on board credit directly from HAL and received the AMEX credit.  Also, wondering if this is a one time deal or you can can get the credit on multiple cruises.

21 minutes ago, doublebzz said:

Not sure what you are saying here. I also purchased my cruise through a TA, which has been paid in full,  but then purchased the on board credit directly from HAL and received the AMEX credit.  Also, wondering if this is a one time deal or you can can get the credit on multiple cruises.

Once you've used the offer, it's gone. If you have multiple American Express cards with the offer attached, you could use it more than once - but not on the same card.  If they make the offer available again, and you attach it to a card again, you could use it more than 1x.  That happened to us. There was the $150 off $750 which we used by splitting the final payment between my card and my wife's. Then there was the $100 off $500 which we used for OBC through our TA.

On 11/20/2018 at 7:29 PM, Love2cruise77 said:

For those who didn't get this offer, you can also try to add it through the backdoor:

http://americanexpress.com/wlcl

Wow! This worked for us. Thanks so much! 

ETA ... this offer was not there when I just logged into account...but the link worked like a charm!

Edited by IrishForNow
added info

51 minutes ago, Joken35 said:

Doublebzz

i don't think we xan get

the benefit  Twice. But hey , we can give it a shot and purchase OBC and see if it works. 

If you've already used the offer, you'll see this:

amex-offer-used.thumb.JPG.15841e62e408fa3afe3ae9a298f8e9d4.JPG

You add the offer to your card and it comes off as soon as it's used. There are offers that can be used multiple times, but this isn't one of them.

amex-offer-terms.thumb.JPG.0c2bb74830be1329079fa9e3dc12895f.JPG

On 11/20/2018 at 10:20 AM, mcrcruiser said:

All though we have AMX credit cards ,we prefer to book using our  Chase Sapphire Preferred credit card ;because we then get Free trip cancellation & free trip interruption insurance + baggage insurance  .We save really big with not having to buy the insurance  . Chase covers us up to a $10000 .00 each trip cost . all we then buy is a supplemental medical & medical evacuation policy at $91  . We are  79 & 80  ,so trip insurance is rather costly with out the Chase  trip insurance benefit .We now can cruise more often :classic_biggrin:

Very overlooked benefit.  We use the BofA Premium card with the same perk.

Just thought I would relate my experience I had with this offer.

I saw this thread just before I booked an Alaska land/sea tour.

So I added the offer to my card, and then contacted my TA to make the booking. She told me there was a HAL special right now that only required a $200 deposit at booking time. I told her that I wanted to qualify for this offer and make a $500 deposit instead. She said no problem.

So, after waiting several days the $100 never showed up on my AMEX account, so I started a chat session with AMEX. I was told that Holland America recorded the $500 deposit as an onboard purchase and therefor did not qualify for the credit. The offer states that the credit is only for new bookings.

So, AMEX is going to contact HAL and try to solve this problem for me, because this was indeed a payment for a new booking. The only thing I can think of that could have gone wrong is that $200 went down as a deposit and the other $300 went down as shipboard credit.

If AMEX can't resolve the problem, than I will see what my TA can do.

2 hours ago, Tom O. said:

Just thought I would relate my experience I had with this offer.

The offer states that the credit is only for new bookings.

If AMEX can't resolve the problem, than I will see what my TA can do.

Very odd.  I had an existing paid in full booking and then purchased a $500 on board credit on the HAL web site with my AMEX card.  Both the charge and credit went through simultaneously. 

8 minutes ago, doublebzz said:

Very odd.  I had an existing paid in full booking and then purchased a $500 on board credit on the HAL web site with my AMEX card.  Both the charge and credit went through simultaneously. 

Same here, except we purchased ours through our TA. The purchase was recorded as a Holland America Web Order though. Email confirmation from Amex came immediately. The credit posted about a week or so later. 

19 minutes ago, doublebzz said:

9 minutes ago, POA1 said:

Same here, except we purchased ours through our TA. The purchase was recorded as a Holland America Web Order though. Email confirmation from Amex came immediately. The credit posted about a week or so later. 

I'll see what happens, and will post here the results. Also after carefully reading the terms, I don't see anything that limits it to new bookings.