Just off the Anthem, 11/17-25 (not a review)

alfaeric

I've done plenty of reviews, and people are welcome to ask questions- but I suspect that most have been answered by the semi-live thread.

We had a great time, and mostly good weather- except for the last two days.  Both had weather issues that canceled shows...  And last night coming into Bayonne was especially odd- with winds that sounded like we were following a tropical storm.

But the point of this thread was actually the new customs that we encountered in Bayonne!  Customs used facial recognition to have a great flow as we got off the ship.  That's the first time we've encountered that, and very much hope it's not the last.  Pretty awesome system.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

Wonder what the do if traveling without a passport?

Also on this sailing.

I did see some agents at the Port this morning, and while we were directed to the facial recognition process, we had our passports in hand, so I'm guessing the agent responsible for the queues knew she could  send us to that line and would have directed us to a live agent if we had BCs and driver's license.

1 hour ago, alfaeric said:

But the point of this thread was actually the new customs that we encountered in Bayonne!  Customs used facial recognition to have a great flow as we got off the ship.  That's the first time we've encountered that, and very much hope it's not the last.  Pretty awesome system.

We have global entry and could NOT use it in Bayonne after our Summit cruise this past September.  Facial recognition sounds pretty good.  We have use GE at Fort Lauderdale.

1 hour ago, mo&fran said:

CBP would already have the original passport photo.

They would, but if you don't use your passport to get on the ship, how do they know to use it?  The question was about travelling without a passport...

Tornado Tanya.  Can't recall her last name, though.  She did a good job- her hardest part was making the safety calls for WWRY and Spectra at the end of the cruise.  And on another unusual CD note, she did NOT do the Quest- that was run by Terry Labell (sp?)- aka Spectra.  Which was a BLAST.

19 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

Tornado Tanya.  Can't recall her last name, though.  She did a good job- her hardest part was making the safety calls for WWRY and Spectra at the end of the cruise.  And on another unusual CD note, she did NOT do the Quest- that was run by Terry Labell (sp?)- aka Spectra.  Which was a BLAST.

Tanya is acting which is why Terry was helping out.  Tanya has to do both the CD and AD jobs while they have  no CD.  

Question for Alfaeric:  Since you just sailed the Anthem, I hope it is OK that I ask you a question.  We will be sailing the Anthem in a couple of weeks and are planning for our dinning times.  Our  question:  Can you tell us during what hours the Diamond's Lounge is open for evening drinks?  Your answer will help us decide whether to try to book early or late evening dining.  THANKS in advance for your response!!

12 hours ago, jljlinda said:

Question for Alfaeric:  Since you just sailed the Anthem, I hope it is OK that I ask you a question.  We will be sailing the Anthem in a couple of weeks and are planning for our dinning times.  Our  question:  Can you tell us during what hours the Diamond's Lounge is open for evening drinks?  Your answer will help us decide whether to try to book early or late evening dining.  THANKS in advance for your response!!

4:30-8pm.

And if you are D+, the CL was much less crowded than the D lounge was.  

Have a great trip!

15 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

Have a great trip!

Thanks again, alfaeric!  We are most pleased to learn that the lounge opens at 4:30 instead of the usual 5:00 PM.  We recently booked the 11 night 12/10-21/sailing (out of Ft Lauderdale) and ended up having to choose 5:45 dining times due to booking so close to sail date. We are D+ (422 cruise points) and plan to take your advice wrt the CL.  

On 11/27/2018 at 7:26 AM, alfaeric said:

Have a great trip!

Not to hijack this thread, but if you were in the D+ lounge on saturday night (final night of the cruise) did you get a load of the middle-aged couple who came in with bare feet wearing robes over heir swimsuits?  It was especially pleasing to see the husband (?) selecting items from the buffet forgo the use of the tongs provided and grabbing them with his unwashed hands. 🤮

25 minutes ago, CruiseTobey said:

Not to hijack this thread, but if you were in the D+ lounge on saturday night (final night of the cruise) did you get a load of the middle-aged couple who came in with bare feet wearing robes over heir swimsuits?  It was especially pleasing to see the husband (?) selecting items from the buffet forgo the use of the tongs provided and grabbing them with his unwashed hands. 🤮

It takes all kinds..... It seems looking presentable and having common sense on a cruise is a lost art anymore. However, when it gets brought up, the response is "people are on vacation and they can do what they want." Welcome to the age of self-entitlement and the I do what I want lifestyle.

1 hour ago, CruiseTobey said:

The Concierge Lounge or the Diamond Lounge?  

But to answer your question- no, we didn't see them.  If they were up in the CL, we managed to miss them, as that's where we when to around 5:30pm.  There was a huddle of P's having a good time talking up there (they had the name tags)- but for the most part, it was empty when we were there.

1 hour ago, Krin said:

We saw them and Ricardo did a great job telling them to leave.

Agree about Ricardo - he did an excellent job to dispel the situation.   I included the incident on my post-cruise evaluation survey and specifically highlighted Ricardo's professional handling of the matter.