Is Copy of Passport Good Enough?

stevendom57

19 hours ago, LuckyStar said:

Steven, you're going to get a lot of different answers.  My understanding is that if I get left behind, the ship MAY go into my room and get my passport and leave it with the port authority.  

FTFY.

There is no guarantee that this will happen.  They most likely will, but it might happen for some reason.

8 minutes ago, SRF said:

FTFY.

There is no guarantee that this will happen.  They most likely will, but it might happen for some reason.

I've heard the ship's officers say this and many other posters have reported hearing similar things. So if they say they are going to do it there is no reason to doubt them. 

11 minutes ago, SRF said:

Agreed.  Not telling people what to do, just providing information for a more informed decision.

That's why I participate in these types of discussions. I personally don't care what someone else does unless it directly impacts me and it usually doesn't.

4 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

I've heard the ship's officers say this and many other posters have reported hearing similar things. So if they say they are going to do it there is no reason to doubt them. 

There are also reports of people who missed the ship and this was NOT done.

Just saying, you are counting on something that is not guaranteed.  Nowhere does the cruise line say that this WILL happen.

15 minutes ago, SRF said:

There are also reports of people who missed the ship and this was NOT done.

Just saying, you are counting on something that is not guaranteed.  Nowhere does the cruise line say that this WILL happen.

I've not seen any such reports (the one you cited in a previous thread doesn't apply because that passenger didn't have a valid passport, but he was carrying his expired one with him). The risk is low enough that I don't mind risking it (since I've also risked cruising with just a birth certificate and DL). The officers of the cruise line, who are empowered by the cruise line to make such statements, have said it. That's good enough for me. (And if you can't trust their word how can you trust your life to them onboard their vessel?).

On 11/27/2018 at 4:28 PM, John Bull said:

I've never heard of, or seen on Cruise Critic, any first-hand report of folk on independent tours missing their sailing either. The pier runners (google that on YouTube :classic_biggrin:) are those who've gone ashore on their own and left their brains on the ship.

I have seen it on a Mediterranean cruise.  The destinations are quite away from the port, so it is more common there.  One time I watched a taxi come screaming down the port after we left with a couple in it.  They put the couple on a pilot boat and brought them out to the ship and they climbed a latter on board.  I have watched off of my balcony when they call names repeatedly and no one gets on before we leave. 

But to the OPs question.  If you are taking a cruise sponsored tour, it is the cruise lines responsibility to get you back on the ship or to the next port.  You really dont need to stress about it and just go have fun.  It defeats the purpose of the trip if you are watching the clock and worrying, especially when you are not the one in control or with the responsibility. 

20 minutes ago, originolsin said:

I have seen it on a Mediterranean cruise.  The destinations are quite away from the port, so it is more common there.  One time I watched a taxi come screaming down the port after we left with a couple in it.  They put the couple on a pilot boat and brought them out to the ship and they climbed a latter on board.  

Hi Originol,

Plenty of examples of pier runners on YouTube arriving in taxis, tuk-tuks, cyclo's, in fact anything that's quicker than walking.

But a couple screaming up to the pier in a taxi doesn't sound like they were on an "independent tour" - I'd have expected that to be a van-ful.

Without knowing more detail, my money's on them being DIYers who mis-timed / screwed-up for some reason & hailed a taxi.

JB :classic_smile:

4 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

I've not seen any such reports (the one you cited in a previous thread doesn't apply because that passenger didn't have a valid passport, but he was carrying his expired one with him). The risk is low enough that I don't mind risking it (since I've also risked cruising with just a birth certificate and DL). The officers of the cruise line, who are empowered by the cruise line to make such statements, have said it. That's good enough for me. (And if you can't trust their word how can you trust your life to them onboard their vessel?).

The cruise line I worked for, the Purser's department would endeavour to search the safe and have a cursory look around the cabin for passports and if found, land them ashore with the agent.

However, the Captain has the final decision and may determine other issues/concerns dictate no further delays to sailing. Therefore, SRF is correct - there is no guarantee a passport might be landed.

With respect to believing what you are told by officers, I have to admit that I, and many others, may have spun some slightly far fetched tales, especially during the days of Bridge visits.

32 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

The cruise line I worked for, the Purser's department would endeavour to search the safe and have a cursory look around the cabin for passports and if found, land them ashore with the agent.

However, the Captain has the final decision and may determine other issues/concerns dictate no further delays to sailing. Therefore, SRF is correct - there is no guarantee a passport might be landed.

With respect to believing what you are told by officers, I have to admit that I, and many others, may have spun some slightly far fetched tales, especially during the days of Bridge visits.

I understand that it could happen, but the odds of it happening are very low. First I have to miss the ship. Then I have to not be able to communicate with the ship to let them know to turn my passport over to the port agent. Then they have to fail to find my passport in the safe and turn it over to the port agent (whether I've been in contact with them or not). I'm not going to lose any sleep over that chain of events happening. And I understand even officers can tell tall tales but to do so in front of hundreds of passengers (repeatedly) during a Q&A is asking for trouble.

On 11/27/2018 at 3:06 PM, stevendom57 said:

Thanks, everyone. Lots of good suggestions. I know that they are "supposed" to wait, but will they really do it? Apparently, they will. That's good to know.

Steven

You're asking about your passport.  What papers are you taking for your travel documents?  It sounds like a closed loop cruise.  

@CruiseGal 99 While I am not a seasoned cruiser, with only one under my belt, I am going to use  my passport and drivers license for travel documents. That worked fine last time out of Miami. I was mainly worried about what to carry on a RC shore excursion, which will be

• Leave the passport in the safe in the cabin
  • Keep a photo and a hardcopy of the main passport page on my person
  • Keep  the contact information of the port agent (if I can find it) on my person

On 11/28/2018 at 5:06 AM, stevendom57 said:

Thanks, everyone. Lots of good suggestions. I know that they are "supposed" to wait, but will they really do it? Apparently, they will. That's good to know.

Steven

I firmly believe that they will wait for late ship sponsored tours. I've seen that happen a few times. 

If, if course, YOU don't get back on the tour bus, that's another story. 

By that I mean if you fail to meet the bus after a "time to explore the shops at you own leisure"  or such, then you are on your own.

On 12/2/2018 at 12:11 AM, buchhalm said:

I firmly believe that they will wait for late ship sponsored tours. I've seen that happen a few times. 

They will TRY to wait, but it not guaranteed.  But they are responsible to get you back to the ship at a later point.

26 minutes ago, SRF said:

They will TRY to wait, but it not guaranteed.  But they are responsible to get you back to the ship at a later point.

When you stop and think about it very little about cruising is guaranteed- they don't guarantee the ports, the days at sea, even the food or seaworthiness of the vessel. BUT they do TRY their level best to provide all of those things and it would take something very catastrophic to prevent them from delivering. If one is looking for a guarantee though cruising probably isn't a good vacation choice😉.

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 7:40 PM, John Bull said:

As per my earlier post, it'll be in ship's daily newsletter - usually delivered to your door the previous evening.

Jot it down, or take the newsletter with you, or take a photo of those contact details.

Mention of photos reminds me of a little dodge that my better half does. She always starts the day with a photo of the front page of the newsletter. When she downloads photos it helps her to figure where / when the hell the subsequent photos were taken.

JB :classic_smile: 

JB    You can let your better half know that I'm going to cruise with this tip in mind! Thanks.

4 hours ago, TruckerDave said:

There are many things in this world I don't understand....but one of the biggest is why many cruisers are SO SCARED of taking their passports with them. 

I can't speak for anyone else but I don't like carrying things with me that I don't have to and I suspect that's at the heart of the matter for many.

It also depends on where your cruise is going.

In some european countries, it is mandatory to carry official identity documents.

For tourists (outside of the EEA) this usually translates to a passport. For those from within the EEA, any formally issued documentation i.e. driving licence, is accepted.

I always carry my passport with me when in another country, including the rest of the EU. 

It saves any potential issues, should I need to prove my identity. 

4 hours ago, ZZRLAD said:

It also depends on where your cruise is going.

In some european countries, it is mandatory to carry official identity documents.

For tourists (outside of the EEA) this usually translates to a passport. For those from within the EEA, any formally issued documentation i.e. driving licence, is accepted.

I always carry my passport with me when in another country, including the rest of the EU. 

It saves any potential issues, should I need to prove my identity. 

Most of those countries have national ID cards.

As I understand it, it is mandatory to have your national ID card on your person at all times.  I am not sure, if for a citizen/resident, that a passport is acceptable.

20 minutes ago, SRF said:

As I understand it, it is mandatory to have your national ID card on your person at all times.  I am not sure, if for a citizen/resident, that a passport is acceptable.

Suggest you re-read my statement. It did refer to tourists for this. 

1 minute ago, ZZRLAD said:

Suggest you re-read my statement. It did refer to tourists for this. 

Maybe you should re-read what you posted

For those from within the EEA, any formally issued documentation i.e. driving licence, is accepted.

DL is not accepted for citizens/residents (for EU, meaning citizen of any EU country), they have a separate national ID card.

25 minutes ago, SRF said:

Maybe you should re-read what you posted

DL is not accepted for citizens/residents (for EU, meaning citizen of any EU country), they have a separate national ID card.

Not true. No National id card exists in UK. 

My statements are correct. The DL  is accepted as ID. I know people who use them within the EU as ID when travelling. 

If your a national of a country that has compulsory ID documents then you need to have them within that country.  Others from a different EU country can use passport or something like DL (issued by another country within EEA) 

On 12/8/2018 at 12:38 PM, ZZRLAD said:

Not true. No National id card exists in UK. 

My statements are correct. The DL  is accepted as ID. I know people who use them within the EU as ID when travelling. 

If your a national of a country that has compulsory ID documents then you need to have them within that country.  Others from a different EU country can use passport or something like DL (issued by another country within EEA) 

What I wrote when replying: