Online check-in - submit 90 minutes before departure

OlsSalt

I was under the impression one had to check in 72 hours before departure as passenger lists needed to be submitted to US Homeland Security before that that 72 hour deadline. Now the online check in documents say you need to officially check in only 90 minutes before departure and DHS wants the lists 60 minutes before departure.

Does this now also mean one can make a last minute passenger change up to 90 minutes before departure?

From the HAL website - Online check in - Already booked:

GOVERNMENTAL POLICIES

Check in at least 90 minutes before departure.
Guests are encouraged to complete the Online Check-in process before leaving home. Guests who wait to check in at the terminal risk being unable to sail even if they arrive at the terminal before the vessel leaves. You will be responsible for all costs you incur to join the vessel at the next port. New U.S. government security regulations require us to submit certain guest information to law enforcement authorities at least 60 minutes prior to departure. To meet this requirement, we must have the necessary information in our records at least 90 minutes before departure. If we do not have your information by this deadline, you will be unable to sail.

Edited by OlsSalt

I  don't see anything new here. Checking in on-line has been merely an option for years now. True, it is a well encouraged option, and certainly speeds up the pier check-in process, but an option nonetheless.

Absolutely no passenger name change is allowed at the last minute on HAL.....only booked guests with proper ID who are on the sail date manifest at least 24 hours in advance.  (Other cruise lines may allow for last minute dockside purchase and sailing.)

The 72 hour thing went away about 3-4 years ago in the US.  Now, it is one hour prior to departure to be checked-in if you are on the expected list..... or in some instances booked for the cruise but you are in the company of a HAL representative enroute from the airport/or are in cell phone contact with shoreside services (for instance parking the car or in a shuttle), or are on a booked HAL tour.

A determination will be made according to local traffic conditions and the probability that you will arrive at least 45 min prior to sailing.  Once the decision to sail has been made, it takes about 15-20 minutes to pull the gangway, drop the lines, and power up the side trust propellers.  On rare occasion guests have arrived to see the ship at the dock, but the gates have been closed by security staff.

David

P.S.  In my 14 years of service in San Diego, only once has the ship delayed sailing due to a late arriving aircraft.  In that instance 16 guests were on a flight from Salt Lake City and arrived at 4:30 pm.  They were all onboard by 5:15 pm.

1 hour ago, RuthC said:

I  don't see anything new here. Checking in on-line has been merely an option for years now. True, it is a well encouraged option, and certainly speeds up the pier check-in process, but an option nonetheless.

It was my own misunderstanding and something that I thought I had picked up from prior discussions here - the 72 hour deadline to check in.  In fact it is only 90 minutes.

Posted this in case others were similarly confused about this. And still wondering if this impacts any last minute changes in who can travel on that reservation if someone wants to make a last minute switch.

18 minutes ago, DAllenTCY said:

Absolutely no passenger name change is allowed at the last minute on HAL.....only booked guests with proper ID who are on the sail date manifest at least 24 hours in advance.  (Other cruise lines may allow for last minute dockside purchase and sailing.)

The 72 hour thing went away about 3-4 years ago in the US.  Now, it is one hour prior to departure to be checked-in if you are on the expected list..... or in some instances booked for the cruise but you are in the company of a HAL representative enroute from the airport/or are in cell phone contact with shoreside services (for instance parking the car or in a shuttle), or are on a booked HAL tour.

A determination will be made according to local traffic conditions and the probability that you will arrive at least 45 min prior to sailing.  Once the decision to sail has been made, it takes about 15-20 minutes to pull the gangway, drop the lines, and power up the side trust propellers.  On rare occasion guests have arrived to see the ship at the dock, but the gates have been closed by security staff.

David

P.S.  In my 14 years of service in San Diego, only once has the ship delayed sailing due to a late arriving aircraft.  In that instance 16 guests were on a flight from Salt Lake City and arrived at 4:30 pm.  They were all onboard by 5:15 pm.

Thank you. That does explain my own prior confusion about this check-in  requirement.  And the distinction between booked passenger and checked-in booked passenger. 

16 minutes ago, ski ww said:

Now I'm confused. If I've done the on line check in & I have my e-docs, and I'm at the dock when the doors open is that classified as the 90 min. check in window.

Allan

You can't get your edocs without being checked in. So, if you have your boarding pass, you've completed check in. 

Just remember that the information has to make it from the HAL system to the CBP by the deadline. If you have great faith that the data hand-off will work flawlessly or that the government will show warmth, compassion and understanding if your information gets to them late, by all means - wait until 90 minutes before departure to check in. :classic_huh:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Let's add this now to the confusion - just received this notice from HAL for my tardy sister's failure to complete online checkin: back to the 72 hour demand ....for embarkation and security requirements. One says 90 minutes and now again one says 72 hours. 

From HAL email: 

To access and issue your Express Docs, please do the following:

• Login to complete your Online Check-in. Each member of your party must complete Online Check-in and print their Express Docs boarding pass and Luggage tags.
  • Be aware that Online Check-in closes three days prior to your cruise departure date, due to embarkation and security requirements.

Also good to note that your booking disappears from the HAL website the day before departure.  Definitely gone the day of.  I know that you can’t make any changes or additions to purchases online less than three days prior to.

It's possible to check-in at the pier without completing the online check-in. It slows down the line, but you'll make new friends. Especially if you don't have your ID out or credit card ready when you get to the counter. For best effect, place your ID and payment card in different places in your carry on bags. Then, to increase your popularity, forget exactly where they are. People love that! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

So I guess this means you can "check in" 90 minutes before departure, but you cannot check in online 72 hours before departure.  

There I think I got it. So tardy sister still has a chance, if she shows up at the port at least 60 minutes before muster. She will be the one in front of you, POA1. :classic_love:

Edited by OlsSalt
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, POA1 said:

It's possible to check-in at the pier without completing the online check-in. It slows down the line, but you'll make new friends. Especially if you don't have your ID out or credit card ready when you get to the counter. For best effect, place your ID and payment card in different places in your carry on bags. Then, to increase your popularity, forget exactly where they are. People love that! 

Yup, that's how to win friends and influence people for sure 😄😄 😄 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, POA1 said:

Thank you again POA1 - so nice that you have insights & that you give a relaxed perspective.  For us novice cruisers, it's very refreshing.

1 minute ago, denniti said:

Thank you again POA1 - so nice that you have insights & that you give a relaxed perspective.  For us novice cruisers, it's very refreshing.

You're welcome. Although I must admit that I am not exactly relaxed when I am in line behind the folks who have to dig for their ID and credit card, holding up the line. :classic_smile:

22 minutes ago, POA1 said:

You're welcome. Although I must admit that I am not exactly relaxed when I am in line behind the folks who have to dig for their ID and credit card, holding up the line. :classic_smile:

I wonder if they are the same ones who don't have their ship card ready when they get off or on in each port.  I hear the refrain in my dreams ...have your ship card ready to be scanned  ......  

But then, we were all new passengers once ourselves and did not realize how all these small things can matter to this new group of 2000 BFF's we are now taking along with us on our vacation.

Edited by OlsSalt

They are also the same ones upon disembarkation that:

A.  Leave items in the stateroom

B.  Take someone else's luggage

C.  Purchased HAL transfers, but have no idea what airline they are flying

David