Weather cruising out of LA in November

misssea

I hear it’s a bit cool when cruising out of LA in November and heard you can’t really enjoy lounging in a deck chair on the first sea day or the last one because it’s always too cold. Is that always the case?  We are cruising Nov. 7-14. 

Edited by misssea

2 hours ago, misssea said:

I hear it’s a bit cool when cruising out of LA in November and heard you can’t really enjoy lounging in a deck chair on the first sea day or the last one because it’s always too cold. Is that always the case?  We are cruising Nov. 7-14. 

I love these questions. Asking the weather 11 months away in a city, where I went to college, which can range from 50-80 on any given day. 

• Haha 1

It could be 80.  Or it could be 30 with snow and ice.  I would guess there would be a 95% chance you would be able to go outside and not have to dress too warm.  Probably rain should be more of a concern.  We have always enjoyed being outside when sailing from New Orleans in the Winter.

16 hours ago, misssea said:

It depends on what you consider too cold.  We did an October cruise to Canada where it was quite cool, but there were still many enjoying the decks just under blankets instead of sunning in swimsuits.  An advantage of cooler weather is that it might be easier to find an empty deck chair 🙂

Wind and rain would be a bigger deterrent for me than cool/cold. Pack an extra layer or two plus some gloves and head covering and make the best of it:classic_cool:  It's probably warmer than Western NY in November (coming from someone who grew up on Lake Erie).

12 hours ago, mexicobob said:

It could be 80.  Or it could be 30 with snow and ice.  I would guess there would be a 95% chance you would be able to go outside and not have to dress too warm.  Probably rain should be more of a concern.  We have always enjoyed being outside when sailing from New Orleans in the Winter.

I suspect the OP is referring to Los Angeles, not Louisiana, but your assessment probably applies either way 😉 

16 hours ago, misssea said:

Which ship are you going on and where to? We just did a 4 day cruise Dec 3 and while in port of Long Beach it was sunny and 65 with no wind so not bad on deck. Sail away was near or after dark so sweat shirt on deck was needed. Port stops at Catalina and Ensenada were nice enough to sit on deck with shorts and tee shirt, kids were in the pool and on water slides. Wind and/or rain will change that though.

Ken

11 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

It depends on what you consider too cold.  We did an October cruise to Canada where it was quite cool, but there were still many enjoying the decks just under blankets instead of sunning in swimsuits.  An advantage of cooler weather is that it might be easier to find an empty deck chair 🙂

Wind and rain would be a bigger deterrent for me than cool/cold. Pack an extra layer or two plus some gloves and head covering and make the best of it:classic_cool:  It's probably warmer than Western NY in November (coming from someone who grew up on Lake Erie).

I suspect the OP is referring to Los Angeles, not Louisiana, but your assessment probably applies either way 😉 

Think you are correct.  I saw LA and assumed they meant the abbreviation for Louisiana.  Maybe because I was planning a cruise out of New Orleans. Either port would be fun, anytime.

You should be fine with a lightweight windbreaker especially being that you're from the east coast. It would take up less room and be lighter in your luggage than a jacket or even a hoodie. They usually have sweatshirts or hoodies on board in the gift shop for around $25. Also, you can pre-order the Carnival hoodies online on Carnival's site and they will have it in your cabin when you board. Hope this helps! Have a wonderful cruise!

Winter weather in the Southern California coast can be quite variable. It's December and we are going to be in the mid 70s. It's not tropical but it's usually quite mild. Unless we get a storm front rolling down from Alaska or its an El Nino year. A light jacket and dress in light layers and you should be fine until you get to more southern latitudes.

I'm near Pasadena, CA.  It was almost 80 deg today.  Our weather has absolutely gotten warmer, IMHO. 😁  

We've spent more Thanksgivings being outside hanging with family because it's such a warm & pleasant day.  

But, I agree with most, who knows for the future. Pack for layered outfits.

When cruising out of Long Beach in the spring, I always thought it was chilly the first and last day.  Take a sweater and some long pants.  I always had a gal here and there comment they were cold, they thought it would be hot and only brought shorts.

We cruised out of San Pedro on Princess on November 20 and our sea day the next day was beautiful - sunny, warm, we sat out by the pool in swimsuits. However, our last sea day on the way home was cold and windy, all the pools were closed. Two weeks later (December 6) we cruised out of Long Beach and almost didn't make the ship due to snow on Interstate 5. It was pouring (and snowing in places) on us until we got to Long Beach, but thankfully the rain stopped in time for sailaway. The next day at sea, it was fairly warm in the morning, and again there were people in the pools and hot tubs. Not as hot as summer, but you could swim if you wanted. Then later in the day, some really dark clouds came up and it got quite a bit cooler.