Nightly entertainment schedule???

OnVacationNow

I’ve read a couple threads discussing VO entertainment but haven’t found any info about the schedule for ABBA or Beatles shows, which night includes a movie under the stars, etc.   Our 10 day Mediterranean cruise is coming up in April and it’s almost time to book excursions and dinner reservations.  I’d love to know in advance what the nightly entertainment is —is there a way to find that out?

Every night is different .. photos attached are an example from 2 days ago (2 ABBA shows). 

New Years Eve was pool party, last night was Elvis, tonight Jane Cho - a classically trained violinist who has worked with many big stars. She performs classical material as well as pop, rock and her own arrangements.

We will attend.

However we start tonight at 6pm - there is a NZ Wine and Cheese night on Aquavit deck area as we cruise away  .. this is heaven 🍷

96F2E391-5775-4082-B589-E97E71ADFBA2.jpeg

B6FB5740-41DC-46A6-9739-25538CC4D657.jpeg

5583BCD5-37A8-4BF7-AF81-0B4A80F538C4.jpeg

2 hours ago, OnVacationNow said:

I’ve read a couple threads discussing VO entertainment but haven’t found any info about the schedule for ABBA or Beatles shows, which night includes a movie under the stars, etc.   Our 10 day Mediterranean cruise is coming up in April and it’s almost time to book excursions and dinner reservations.  I’d love to know in advance what the nightly entertainment is —is there a way to find that out?

On the Mediterranean Odyssey/Empires  May 14, 2019  --I think--I have a listing of what was offered on our cruise in April May this year.  Just go to my profile and look down the list of my postings and you should find a cruise that would either match or come close to this description.  I'm not sure if all the cruises go in the same direction but this is how ours was done.  All live shows in the evening are usually about 9:15.  I don't know if you can get the exact listing for your cruise,before you sail, from TellUs or not.

Thanks for the replies..I had a feeling we wouldn’t know much know until we are on the ship.  And thanks for the photos of the schedule...definitely gives us an idea of what to expect.   So excited now that our cruise is just 3 months away! 

Edited by OnVacationNow

2 minutes ago, imcpa said:

Daniel the guitarist on the Orion is one of the best ever.  He even knows and has played some Yngwie songs!

There was a Daniel on the Star when we did MO in Apr/May and he was also very personable.  I really liked his presence.  Could be the same guy.

Every night is different .. photos attached are an example from 2 days ago (2 ABBA shows). We do our own thing most nights - but the ABBA show was quite good.

New Years Eve was pool party, night was Elvis, 

Tonight at 6pm there is a NZ Wine and Cheese night on Aquavit deck area as we cruise away  .. that is more our kind of entertainment 🍷

1 hour ago, Little Monty said:

Every night is different .. photos attached are an example from 2 days ago (2 ABBA shows). We do our own thing most nights - but the ABBA show was quite good.

Interesting to see that there were two Abba shows to cater for both early and late diners. There was only ever one show at 9:15 on our recent Viking Sun cruise, which we found frustrating as we are late diners.

I'm also curious to know if the entertainment in Torshavn is the same every night on your cruise or does it vary a bit?

No worries LM! Can you tell from the Viking Daily schedule who is performing in Torshavn? Also, I should have asked, is it the norm on your sailing to have 2 shows per night? On the nights there is a show, that is. I'm assuming there isn't one every night.

Tonight and tomorrow Daniel the guitarist is in Torshavn from 9pm till midnight. He is very good (he was in Explorers earlier). 

Correct .. not a show every night. Tonight the highlight seems to be a movie under the stars by the pool (Mamma Mia Here We Go Again) and tomorrow night the highlight is violinist Jane Cho  who we saw last night ( she is fantastic 👍).

The Viking ‘vibe’ is not for everyone, but we love it. Good night 

The schedule that Little Monty shows near the top of this thread, with two ABBA shows - one at 6:30 and one at 9:15 - is not the way it was done on the Lisbon - Miami crossing on the Viking Sun last week.  All shows were at 9:15 only. This did not fit our schedule at all and was very disappointing. I'm also surprised is see that it is not consistent across ships. One of Vikings best features is consistency.

1 hour ago, Richard2 said:

The schedule that Little Monty shows near the top of this thread, with two ABBA shows - one at 6:30 and one at 9:15 - is not the way it was done on the Lisbon - Miami crossing on the Viking Sun last week.  All shows were at 9:15 only. This did not fit our schedule at all and was very disappointing. I'm also surprised is see that it is not consistent across ships. One of Vikings best features is consistency.

The one thing that is consistent, there is an event each night.  Usually in the theater it is live-- Captain's Welcome, Viking Singers and Cruise directors in various combinations, Sometimes guest entertainment of variety or culture.  Some nights they use the theater for filmed performances of Cirque de Solei or Opera.  On my first cruise they occasionally did 'cabaret' style shows in Torshaven but not my last cruise and I don't know if that's Viking or the new production company choice.  On Viking Homelands, we had 3 ports with departure by 2:00 and one sea day and on those days the entertainment ran a little different than normal but we did have more time on the ship on those days.  This might be the case with dailies pictured above.  Do try to make the Captain.s Farewell as really is a party type atmosphere, in presentation, held in the Atrium.  Because the itineraries on Viking are so port intensive, the shows start a little later so you can enjoy the port as long as possible and still attend entertainment, if that is your choice.

3 minutes ago, Dauntless said:

The one thing that is consistent, there is an event each night.  Usually in the theater it is live-- Captain's Welcome, Viking Singers and Cruise directors in various combinations, Sometimes guest entertainment of variety or culture.  Some nights they use the theater for filmed performances of Cirque de Solei or Opera.  On my first cruise they occasionally did 'cabaret' style shows in Torshaven but not my last cruise and I don't know if that's Viking or the new production company choice.  On Viking Homelands, we had 3 ports with departure by 2:00 and one sea day and on those days the entertainment ran a little different than normal but we did have more time on the ship on those days.  This might be the case with dailies pictured above.  Do try to make the Captain.s Farewell as really is a party type atmosphere, in presentation, held in the Atrium.  Because the itineraries on Viking are so port intensive, the shows start a little later so you can enjoy the port as long as possible and still attend entertainment, if that is your choice.

My issue is that the events were only at 9:15.  Some, like the Captain's Welcome, might need to be done only once. Others, like ABBA and Beatles shows, should be done also at an earlier time.  I agree that this would vary with port intensive cruises, but we had only 9:15 shows on a transatlantic crossing - 11 nights on board with 8 sea days. 

3 minutes ago, Richard2 said:

My issue is that the events were only at 9:15.  Some, like the Captain's Welcome, might need to be done only once. Others, like ABBA and Beatles shows, should be done also at an earlier time.  I agree that this would vary with port intensive cruises, but we had only 9:15 shows on a transatlantic crossing - 11 nights on board with 8 sea days. 

Now, a lot of sea days  would be a whole different experience.  It seems like they might do 2 shows a night with one being early and another, different show later.  On another sea day the shows could be reversed so it would be available to both early and late diners.   We have only had one captain's welcome on each cruise in the theater.  The Farewell event takes place around 7:00 in the Atrium and then there was a show that evening in the theater

2 hours ago, Richard2 said:

I agree Richard. We were on the same crossing and we were disappointed with the fact that there was only one show per night. Given that there were so many sea days one would hope for more entertainment, not less. It's surprising to see that there are two shows per night on Little Monty's cruise, which is port-intensive compared to ours.

The entertainment in Torshavn was also quite disappointing to us. We loved the room itself and felt it had a sort of Jazz club vibe. However for the first 8 or 9 nights of our cruise, the Viking Band performed here with one young male singer. He's a great singer but his performance was very one-dimensional and lacking in energy. He also seemed to take frequent breaks. However, on the 10th night he was joined by an amazing young lady singer. She was definitely the missing ingredient as the two of them together with the band put on a great show and really lifted the energy in the room. While we enjoyed the various classical music performers around the ship at various times during the day and evening, we also like live music with a bit of energy to it. 

We have been ending our nights in Torshavn.  The first few nights did not have many others, but the last few has been almost full and Daniel’s interaction with us has been fun.

We attended the final Jane Cho show and it was great.

2 hours ago, imcpa said:

We have been ending our nights in Torshavn.  The first few nights did not have many others, but the last few has been almost full and Daniel’s interaction with us has been fun.

We attended the final Jane Cho show and it was great.

Though this is a little off topic but since you are currently on a ship, have you  heard about any meals at Pool Grill after 5:00?  Someone had posted about them doing steaks there on their cruise.

28 minutes ago, Dauntless said:

Though this is a little off topic but since you are currently on a ship, have you  heard about any meals at Pool Grill after 5:00?  Someone had posted about them doing steaks there on their cruise.

I love the idea of that.  We had some great lunches at the Pool Grill.

On 1/4/2019 at 12:42 AM, Little Monty said:

Not sure what is happening .. but the post above 16 minutes ago is from last night ?

But yes, Daniel is very good.

Little Monty, I am enjoying your posts! We start in Auckland Feb 22 and end in Bali. Enjoying reading about your trip!