Mazatlan Horseback Riding - Cheaper on the beach?

douggw

I see a few package tours that include "transportation" to Stone Island and then the horseback ride and a drink.  Is it cheaper to just book the horse ride right there on the beach on your own?  Thanks!

Edited by douggw

I don't know what the cost of horseback riding on Stone Island is, but GETTING to Stone Island on your own is simple and inexpensive.  A 4 or 6 block walk from the terminal, a short and inexpensive ride in a water taxi (seriously INEXPENSIVE ), and a walk down the beach...

15 hours ago, VennDiagram said:

OP -- google "Maria's Happy Horses".  There's contact info on the web page.  You could email and ask the price.

According to their website, they only offer a package deal of $40 which includes getting to/from Stone Island.

If you look around on the website, they offer "private tours" as well.  Here's the contact info in case you want to ask what it costs to just ride a horse on Stone Island

http://mariashappyhorses.weebly.com/contact-us.html

edited to add: and to find out how to arrange a reservation time.

Edited by VennDiagram

18 minutes ago, VennDiagram said:

If you look around on the website, they offer "private tours" as well.  Here's the contact info in case you want to ask what it costs to just ride a horse on Stone Island

http://mariashappyhorses.weebly.com/contact-us.html

edited to add: and to find out how to arrange a reservation time.

They said private tours are not available on cruise ship days.  😞 

Hi Douggw:

Before it was called Maria's Happy Horses, Randi owned it and it was Randi's Happy Horses.  Randi was an expat who passed away a few years ago.  She ran a great operation and we are currently booked with Maria for our trip in a few months.  The cost is $35 USD per person in cash.  No deposit required - pay after the ride.  While they don't have private tours on cruise ship days (meaning just your group), they do run their normal operation and have the regular rides going out as they do not contract with the cruise ships.  The price also includes a drink at one of the restaurants on the beach (Lety's or Victors).  Last time with Randi, we had a wonderful time at Victors with awesome coconut shrimp and beer.

Send them an email - they respond very quickly and will give you a quote.  They will ask about your riding experience and if there are any children so they can best match everyone up with the correct horses.  I thought Randi ran a very professional operation and I'm hoping that Maria is following in her footsteps.

Have a great time in Mazatlan.

Southwestgal

• Like 1

Been a while since we did this activity with Randi, but by all accounts Maria is continuing in the same tradition. We prebooked as did our fellow riders, Randi met us at the port and guided us to Stone Island.  She did not ride herself but made sure everyone got off and then met us at Victors for the included beer.   Most of us hung around for more beer and shrimp.  A great activity.  

Just got back from our Mexican Riviera cruise. As Venn stated Mazatlan is inexpensive and easy to do on your own. Took a family of 4, with two young boys ( 8 and 10). Exited the cruise terminal and turned left. Easy 4 or 5 block walk straight in to the water taxi. The cost is 30 pesos/person round trip (about $1.50 US) to stone island. We took a 30 minute horseback riding tour for 200 Pesos/person (about $10 US). Restaurants will let you use chairs and umbrellas on the beach for the day as long as you buy lunch at their place, they'll give you a menu with prices listed. All prices were reasonable.

• 2 months later...

I did a tour with Mazatlan tours that included a short catamaran tour, lunch,, unlimited bar, and two beach activities--of which horseback riding was one of the options.  Transportation was provided from the cruise center and back. Cost was $40 per person, quite the deal for a great day. 

On 3/14/2019 at 8:05 PM, CancunKris said:

Wow! That's so affordable. Thanks for letting us know. My daughter is so excited about riding a "pony"! Our whole group is going to be able to ride now. Can you let us know where you hired the horses? Thank you!!

We rented them from a lady right on the beach. There was also someone offering pony rides for the smaller children to the end of the beach and back, I don't exactly remember the price for those but it was about $3 US.

On 3/19/2019 at 3:54 PM, sailawayhen said:

We rented them from a lady right on the beach. There was also someone offering pony rides for the smaller children to the end of the beach and back, I don't exactly remember the price for those but it was about $3 US.

Thank you so much for the info. We really appreciate it😊

• 2 weeks later...