US State Department - China Travel Advisory

Classiccruiser777

Good to know.  What is Oceania going to do about if anything?   Kind of a general warning but could be serious.  Not quite sure that I would want to be in China now.   The world is becoming a more dangerous place so maybe North America ( U.S. and Canada) is the place to be for now.  Will have to watch how this plays out.  Hope for the best but plan for anything else.  

It appears the major areas in question are the Xinjiang Uighur and Tibet Autonomous Regions which are located in the northwestern corner and southern part of China, respectively. If I am reading the alert correctly, there really isn't that much to worry about in the eastern Chinese ports where the cruise ships go to, especially if you stick to doing tourist things and don't do anything stupid, or am I missing something?

• Like 1

My impression from the alert was that people most at risk are those of Chinese extractions, or former Chinese residents/citizens.  Am I wrong?  It wouldn't be the first time!

We were there in May 2008 on a Viking riverboat cruise --strictly U.S. citizens in our group -- and we certainly had no problems then.  But that's 10 years ago and things have changed.

Mura

13 hours ago, Mura said:

My impression from the alert was that people most at risk are those of Chinese extractions, or former Chinese residents/citizens.  Am I wrong?  It wouldn't be the first time!

We were there in May 2008 on a Viking riverboat cruise --strictly U.S. citizens in our group -- and we certainly had no problems then.  But that's 10 years ago and things have changed.

Mura

Mura-

You are correct. The details in the advisory list specific criteria which ordinary American tourists should not worry about...unless they have have Chinese ancestry that the government has interest in or you have had shady dealings in China.  It also seems this is not a new advisory, but  was a routine renewal of an advisory originally sent out  in January 2018. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/03/world/asia/china-travel-advisory.html?action=click&module=Well&pgtype=Homepage&section=World

Edited by 1985rz1
grammar correction

Strange advisory and Nothing New.   This has always been the case, that dual Chinese citizens are always in Jeopardy,  It was a big issue in the 1990's also, when there was a large emigration to the US after the June 4th repression.