Vista vs. Pinnacle

USVIcruizer

3 star HAL Mariner, but have not yet sailed on any Vista or Pinnacle class ship, hoping to do so shortly.
Looking for major differences - pro & con - between the 2 classes, besides the obvious ones, i.e. capacity.
We love the refined (although not stuffy) atmosphere on HAL, their friendly crews & top notch service. 
Which do you prefer & why?
Any info appreciated, thanks in advance!

Edited by USVIcruizer

After completing 81 cruises  ,we have found that the newer larger ships have the most up to date amenities  . Size is  directly in proportion to amenaties on board & the space ratio between pax in the public areas . 

We prefer the newer ships even though there are more pax because many of our cruises  now are repeats & we mostly stay on the ship . 

The older smaller ships are better for port debarkations  because of less pax on board . So ultimately  it is what is most important to each of us to decide the type of vessels we sail . Unfortunately ,the main line cruise industry is moving into much larger ships because they are more profitable for the cruise lines  .The smaller ships are being phased out over time 

Soon the only way to sail on smaller vessels is to upgrade to luxury lines like Viking ,Azamara ,Oceania , ie 

Hope this helps 

Pinnacle class will have more specialty restaurants than the Vista Class.

The Vista class is smaller and has a nicer walk around promenade deck.

What is the itinerary you are looking at ?  Purely my observation but so far, from what I have seen the Pinnacle class do not as have as nice itineraries as the smaller ships.

Cabins appear to be a bit smaller on the Pinnacle Class.

If it’s Caribbean, it might not be a big deal but do compare the time the two different ships have in ports.

It really will depend on what style you prefer.  

I've sailed on Vista, Signature and now Pinnacle.  As noted, the Pinnacle class have smaller staterooms (the odd placement of the toilet has been discussed in numerous forums), the library is virtually non-existent, and the "world stage," takes a little getting used to. As has also been pointed out, the "Music Walk" venues are all too close together; so that the Rock Room is easily heard down the passageway in other venues.  I think they were working with scheduling to deconflict some of this noise-bleed over during my cruise on Koningsdam. The Thermal Suites seemed a bit smaller on the Koningsdam as well. 

The Vista and Signature are only truly distinguished by the additional deck on the Signature, which allows for Tamarind, Silk Den and some other nice additions.  That being said, they've done something to the Tamarind menu which deserves a thread of its own. 

Knowing what I know now:

- The Signature class ships (sadly there's only 2) amplify the charm resident on Vista classes.

- The Pinnacle ships don't seem to add much more, but rather reduce the square footage per passenger, are notably lacking in decor and non-revenue amenities such as the library. They still do have the 'walk around' on Deck 3 (Promenade) but it's a tight fit, single file at some spots. As well, while Rudi's is only a 'pop up' on the other classes, I don't know that I would plan to dine there more than once on a seven day cruise, which makes it popping up (in the Pinnacle D.R.) more than adequate. 

- The Pinnacle does have "Blend," which is fun, but that was the only really unique fun-can't-do-it on the Eurodam- venue that made the Koningsdam unique for me.

Edited by MauiWowie57

I like the Vistas. I've sailed on 3 of the 4, always in one of those lovely corner afts.  Sailed on K last winter in a corner aft and would not do it again. She shimmies and bounces at the back--and we had good weather. And don't get me started on the joke of a shower in my Neptune Suite! So for my location preference, Vistas win. Also, with K's larger size everything is a longer walk, especially when you're at the end of the ship.

For me, Vistas also win on the Spa/thermal suite. The hydropool on a Vista is better than the one on K. Deeper and nice side jets.  While the K has more ceramic loungers, everyone walks through that room on the way to the hydropool, which diminishes the peaceful ambiance. Last winter there were a lot of staff/maintenance people trooping through. Dressing rooms are smaller and not as nice, and farther from the thermal suite. 

I eat dinner in the MDR. K's MDR was noisy. I don't know if it's the size of the room or its design, but it's much noisier than the MDR on a Vista. Also, on Vistas, one level of the MDR is fixed dining, which I like. On the K, they mix tables with a fixed time and open-seating tables. This makes for more traffic through the dining room, which can be annoying. 

That said, I'm going on the K again, but not in an aft cabin. I chose it mostly for the itinerary--one island that's new to me and two that I haven't been to in 10 years. Another reason is Lincoln Center Stage. A year ago when I booked, I didn't know which ships would be getting the classical group and that was important to me. And I do like the movies on the big screen by the pool, which the Vistas don't have.

Unless an itinerary really grabs me, I'd pick a Vista over a Pinnacle.

• Like 1

We started with HAL with Vista class and have never sailed on anything smaller. Our next step up (class wise) was to a Signature class which was relatively new and which had the extra deck and dedicated Tamarind (which we absolutely love). Our last cruise was on Koningsdam (Pinnacle class) and I didn't really notice much of a difference, granted slightly more passengers and slightly constricted Promenade deck. Others seem to have noticed big differences, me not so much. Of course you'll notice what is new and fresh v. your diminished memories of a cruise 12 years ago. The toilet layout wasn't a big deal for me. I also don't notice the difference between a 350 sq.ft. stateroom and a 400 sq. ft. stateroom - they're all small unless you're in a 1200 sq. ft. Pinnacle Suite as far as I'm concerned.

I have to say, Vista class is probably my least favourite.  A bigger ship with none of the special features of the really big ships.  I would say "go small or go Pinnacle"!  Love all the specialty restaurants and Dutch treats on the K and the NS, but the smaller ships have more character.  Our next is on Prinsendam, our previous, the Nieuw Statendam.  Love them both!