Jump to content

Danube water levels 2019 and similar topics - plus tips and info


Recommended Posts

Thanks G.M.T. for posting. I saw this afternoon the river was trailing behind the "most likely scenario" figure by then. It should be over 300cm by now but the river has decided to stay at the bottom end of the margin that was build into the up trend. Well, the trend is up at least and with 291cm and rain forecast this looks potentially good.

 

Being at work tomorrow I shall revisit in the evening or Saturday. Till then.

 

notamermaid

 

Edited by notamermaid
Correction
Link to post
Share on other sites

Pfelling is not at the predicted 300cm. ☹️

 

It is at 337 cm that 66 cm higher than yesterday. Some rain due today (Friday) and tomorrow, so this level should be maintained for at least the next 5 days.

 

So if you sail past Pfelling soon, don't forget to toast the river spirits.

🍻🍻🍻🍹🍹🥨🙊

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, dairymancruiser said:

Our cruise leaves on 12-27-19 out of Nuremberg and was wonder if they keep the Christmas lights and decorations up through out most of Europe until New Years Eve? Thanks

As people have said above, London's lights are still on til well past New Year.

 

We were also in Paris, Strasbourg and Colmar earlier this year and they started to remove the lights on the day we left which was the 6th or 7th January.

 

The markets in France were all done though, although I do remember a big Christmas Market in Prague a few years ago in late December.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As G.M.T. reported this morning, the level at Pfelling is much better than yesterday. And it has held during the day. Currently at 341cm it is likely to stay at a reasonable level, although it might have reached its peaked now. Rain falling tomorrow and Sunday in fair to good amounts should keep the ships sailing.

 

notamermaid

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Pfelling is currently at 332cm, slightly down not nothing to worry about.

 

Here it is very winding, a chill in the air and lots of rain, saw the first Christmas stollen in the shops today - next week they will be getting the first delivery of Easter Eggs.

 

No bier garden today -🍻 + (glühwein)

Link to post
Share on other sites

@G.M.T.

I am sure you have seen this. "Passau should not be merely a backdrop for American and Chinese tourists...": https://www.pnp.de/mobile/?cid=3468076

 

"... but mainly a good place for the locals to live in." As a politician put it.

 

Is it so bad? According to the documentary you linked it is. And I am getting the feeling the situation in general on the popular stretch of the Danube is worse than on the Rhine.

 

I do wonder where the next couple of years will take us... As of now there is no sign of the popularity of river cruising having reached its peak.

 

As I work in tourism I saw the statistics on Rhineland-Palatinate the other day. "Good, but we could do more, this and that, general German tourist terms followed, bla bla..." was the interpretation of the figures.

More than ever I look at the sustainability of places and the clever management of tourist routes, to balance the needs and wishes of everyone. And for the first time ever I caught myself thinking the other day: "I am glad I live in a place that has no massive Roman ruins, a famous cathedral, palace, etc. or was home to a massively world famous person."

 

Do not get me wrong, people, I love to see ships on the river and tourists in town. But I am getting a little worried we could soon see the banners "tourists go home" going up in Passau. That should never have to happen.

 

Oh, and by the way, Pfelling gauge is doing well, at 352cm!

 

notamermaid

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

@G.M.T.

I am sure you have seen this. "Passau should not be merely a backdrop for American and Chinese tourists...": https://www.pnp.de/mobile/?cid=3468076

 

"... but mainly a good place for the locals to live in." As a politician put it.

 

Is it so bad? According to the documentary you linked it is. And I am getting the feeling the situation in general on the popular stretch of the Danube is worse than on the Rhine.

 

 

It describes the situation very well, things have got to change.

 

Just ten years ago, we would spend the day shopping in Passau and then in the evening have a meal and stroll along the prominade. Now if I don't have to go into Passau then I avoid it like the plague, thankfully we can get everything online.

 

In the 1990s lived through an economic expansion via three main stays, namely:

- Opening up of the Iron Curtain

- Expansion of Passau University, now over 12000 students

- River cruising, controlled by number of docking location

 

The last item has gotten out of contol, it seams the cruising companies can do want they want on "our" river, I am more than willing in sharing our river and not being swamped by cruisers. I was in Passau yesterday, raining, so there were these herds with the very large umbrellas charging through people like bulls in a china shop. You had to move into the road to save getting an umbrella in an eye. The large red umbrellas  were not shared by two or three people but each used by a solitary person.

 

Although river cruising is very expensive, very little "is left behind" in the ports of call, most of it stays in the country where booked, a few companies make money but this is easily offset by locals not shopping if Passau.

 

I know some here will come back and say I spent €€€€€ locally, but mostly always in the same type of companies. The University of Bergen has published reports about the spendin habits of tourist, one of their findings Backpackers on a budget spend on onshore that than cruise passengers.

 

Like many German towns and cities more houses and apparments are needed, as Passau is hemmed in by hills, rivers, forests, borders with very little building land. So instead of devoting the old winter harbour to cruise ships it should be truned into a new living neihbourhood.

 

Next March (2020) there will be local communial elections in Bavaria - hopefully this will bring changes.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Do not get me wrong, people, I love to see ships on the river and tourists in town. But I am getting a little worried we could soon see the banners "tourists go home" going up in Passau. That should never have to happen.

 

Oh, and by the way, Pfelling gauge is doing well, at 352cm!

 

notamermaid

 

I understand how local residents are upset. Personally I wish that more lines would explore some of the other river routes on the continent. Unfortunately, this might require a move to smaller ships to navigate some of the rivers. Certainly veteran river cruiser would be interested in new routes. We chose a Nicko cruise earlier this year which allowed us to see some of the Saar and the Neckar, rivers that aren't generally available on many of the  North American centered lines. 

Edited by FuelScience
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, G.M.T. said:

It describes the situation very well, things have got to change.

...

Although river cruising is very expensive, very little "is left behind" in the ports of call, most of it stays in the country where booked, a few companies make money but this is easily offset by locals not shopping if Passau.

 

I know some here will come back and say I spent €€€€€ locally, but mostly always in the same type of companies. The University of Bergen has published reports about the spendin habits of tourist, one of their findings Backpackers on a budget spend on onshore that than cruise passengers.

 

...

 

Next March (2020) there will be local communial elections in Bavaria - hopefully this will bring changes.

 

 

 

G.M.T.,

That is one of the problems of river cruising for towns. As you have mentioned before - and I remember also hearing it in a documentary - the range of shops and what they sell has changed. No river cruiser needs a butcher and is unlikely to buy small furniture. A tourist staying for 24 hours is likely to have dinner and breakfast, might buy other things that fit in the trunk of their car. You say you buy online - fully understand - to avoid the tourists. It aggravates the problem, one can follow the downward spiral happening. I saw the effects in Riquewihr in Alsace. Tourist shop after tourist shop. When "Käthe Wohlfahrt" comes to Passau consider the town lost...

 

I think the river cruising problem will feature strongly in the election campaign.

 

 

51 minutes ago, FuelScience said:

I understand how local residents are upset. Personally I wish that more lines would explore some of the other river routes on the continent. Unfortunately, this might require a move to smaller ships to navigate some of the rivers. Certainly veteran river cruiser would be interested in new routes. We chose a Nicko cruise earlier this year which allowed us to see some of the Saar and the Neckar, rivers that aren't generally available on many of the  North American centered lines. 

 

You are certainly one of the explorers :classic_smile: going beyond the standard and what is the comfort zone for so many cruisers (I understand people wanting to stay inside their comfort zone).

 

It is certainly a good idea to look for other experiences than the 135m all-inclusive ship. Another way, that us two and others have discussed, is choosing other ports. Some lines on the North-American market have embraced this.

 

On that note, I shall be back with a bit more time with an article on such a "new" port wanting a piece of the rich and big river cruising cake. Straubing "is courting" Viking River cruises.

 

notamermaid

 

 

 

 

Edited by notamermaid
Grammar
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, G.M.T. said:

 

The last item has gotten out of contol, it seams the cruising companies can do want they want on "our" river, I am more than willing in sharing our river and not being swamped by cruisers. I was in Passau yesterday, raining, so there were these herds with the very large umbrellas charging through people like bulls in a china shop. You had to move into the road to save getting an umbrella in an eye. The large red umbrellas  were not shared by two or three people but each used by a solitary person.

Thanks for pointing out the problem with the umbrellas. Although Uniworld provides us with the large “gray” umbrellas, we bring our smaller packable ones & most times I try to use just my hood on my jacket. 

   Thanks again for all the information on this thread. We have left Serbia & are on our way to Croatia on the River Princess. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mimosa09 said:

Thanks for pointing out the problem with the umbrellas. Although Uniworld provides us with the large “gray” umbrellas, we bring our smaller packable ones & most times I try to use just my hood on my jacket. 

   Thanks again for all the information on this thread. We have left Serbia & are on our way to Croatia on the River Princess. 

I did say "red" ones.😨

 

Have a great cruise, the low river levels are over for at least the next 10 days.🍹

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Escaper said:

We are currently in Wurzburg on Viking Ve.  Informed this evening no ship swap necessary, as we have "a meter" of water over the low threshold and can proceed.


Escaper

Good!

More rain has come done all over the area - by the bucket load it seems.

 

Have a great time in Würzburg and beyond.

 

notamermaid

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We are now in Budapest on the last day of our Thomas Hardy cruise to the Black Sea and back. Really interesting cruise to some of the less visited places, although still a fair few cruise ships to our uneducated eyes. 

 

I will  do do a review on the Riviera thread.  River levels were low and we did have a brief encounter with a sandbank. Today is bright and sunny with a distinct nip in the air and downstream the trees are showing more autumn colour coming back than when we went down.

 

thanks to all for helpful advice. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you to all for keeping us updated about water levels, ports and other tidbits of info. I am also quite disconcerted about the increase of tourism and crowds everywhere you go now in many European locations. It is overwhelming in large cities and villages as we have noticed in our travels....which are primarily by tour bus with our high school teacher daughters students and parents...small groups. Last year in our first river cruise on the Rhine we chose to leave Strasbourg after the included tour because it was like Disneyland on a bad day, and very warm as well. I couldn't believe all the cheap tourist  stalls in front of stores with made in China and India garbage. I was so disheartened. I wont buy anything unless made in the country we visit. We relaxed on the ship for the rest of the day!

Tomorrow we leave for Prague and then Nuremberg to Budapest! Thank you notamermaid and G.M.T. for doing the all rain dances and filling the rivers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Wannawander said:

Tomorrow we leave for Prague and then Nuremberg to Budapest! Thank you notamermaid and G.M.T. for doing the all rain dances and filling the rivers.

Me filling the rivers was not via rain dances but via 🍻🍻🍹

 

Have a great time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It was not me either, the dancing that is. I leave it all to the Bavarians, the dancing and the drinking. :classic_biggrin:

 

Wannawander, have a great time, would be great to hear from you from your cruise, or after, it has been a pleasure chatting.

 

notamermaid

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2019 at 10:57 AM, G.M.T. said:

I did say "red" ones.😨

 

Have a great cruise, the low river levels are over for at least the next 10 days.🍹

Whoops!  While walking thru the reception area this morning, I noticed the umbrellas onboard the River Princess are blue 😊 not gray. I think they were gray on the Joie de Vivre. At any rate, yes, you did say red. Just hoping we don’t have to use any umbrellas very much for the rest of the cruise & that water levels will still be good. 

   Thanks for keeping us informed on this thread. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2020
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Q&A with Chris Prelog, President of Windstar Cruises!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...