Carnival needs to stop it's commercial!

jckvpa0

The most objectionable aspect of the cruise ship business is its fraudulent advertising

from

http://www.lies.com/wp/2002/09/24/living-on-a-really-expensive-boat/

Here's some of the text from Derf's informative link. I'm glad I read it because I used to think that I was having fun on my cruise. But now I know better. :rolleyes:

What I am saying is that virtually all middle class cruises, which, after all, make up the bulk of cruise activity, are not what they are cracked up to be, particularly as they are depicted in cruise line brochures. The ships may be newish and mammoth-sized (in some cases, almost three times the size of the ill-fated Titanic), but the huge number of passengers carried (often in excess of 2,000) are normally shoe-horned into claustrophobicly small cabins, are given only the most mundane of food (the word gourmet should be stricken from the cruise brochure lexicon), and are entertained by stage performers whose talents recall Major Bowes Original Amateur Hour.

The most popular itinerary for a middle class cruise is the Caribbean. On some cruises, as many as five Caribbean islands are visited in a seven-day sailing. (In truth, a seven-day sailing usually turns out to be a six-day sailing, but why quibble?) Passengers learn that most Caribbean islands are virtually identical: two or three seedy towns separated by a small mountain range over which, for an outrageous price, a taxi will transport the traveler. Most island people who cater to the cruise ship trade are virulently anti-white and provide only the most mediocre service for which they expect a healthy tip. And the island shops that sell jewelry, cameras, and clothing invariably charge sky-high prices. Caveat Emptor.[

I think I will just have to schedule another cruise to make up for how sad I am.

• 4 weeks later...

I totally agree, it is my favorite commercial. Of course, I do like Gatorclaws better. I had to download the song and make a new cruise cd. I played it last nite to get DH in the mood (for a cruise!, get your mind out of the gutter).. I think he is tired of hearing it :D

When you take into account the song's title is "Lust For Life" it makes more sense. Music selection for marketing is usually based on a song's title or or a an appropraite "catchy phrase".

Yes, a catchy phrase...Lust for Life. If most knew the Iggy Pop/David Bowie song, they wouldn't think it appropriate for a RCI commercial. It's a song about using heroin actually. The first verse:

Here comes Johnny Yen again

With the liquor and drugs

And the flesh machine

He's gonna do another strip tease.

Hey man, where'd ya get that lotion?

I've been hurting since I've bought the gimmick

About something called love

Yeah, something called love.

Well, that's like hypnotizing chickens.

Well, I'm just a modern guy

Of course, I've had it in the ear before.

I have a lust for life

'cause of a lust for life.

It's a song about using heroin actually.

I am gonna have to go on a Carnival cruise so I can be a junkie for a week.

I wonder if Carnival has ANY clue what he is talking about. lol.

from

http://www.radioparadise.com/content.php?name=songinfo&song_id=34210&start=30

he starts forcing "Lust for Life" to turn tricks for Carnival Cruises

from

http://www.radcompany.net/Storys/TurdStorys/BandsInCommercials/CommercialBands.html

It is just not the commerical but the music to. I watched it the other morning before going to work. All day long I had the music in my head. I also found myself singing it out loud. My friend would say"you're singing that song again". Then I realize I am at work and not sitting on a beach with a drink in my hand.

My DH & kids think I've completely lost it because everytime we are watching tv and it comes on I start chanting OOOOHHH CRUISE!:p If my husband isn't in the room I'll start screaming HONEY COME HERE QUICK!!!

When he gets in the living room I'll say LOOK CRUISE!!!! Poor thing hasn't caught on yet!! I go from 34 years old to about 5 the instant that commercial comes on!!!!:D

Carmel

I can't take it anymore!!! No matter what I'm doing, cooking dinner, unloading the dishwasher or folding laundry that commercial seems to come on. At first I'm memorized torn away from what I'm doing staring at the screen in awe, then it hits me I don't have a damn cruise booked & all I want to do is throw what ever is in my hand at the screen !!!Anyone else feel like this?

No matter what I am doing, no matter what is going on, who I am talking to, what we are talking about, when I hear that song time stands still and all attention is directed towards the tv. DW could be having heart failure and we'd stop the CPR to watch.

DW: "Stop with the compressons already, I can't see the tv!"

Me: "Shush! I can't hear!

Kids: :::increasing volume on television with remote::::

I've noticed they stopped playin the commercial :confused:

I guess Carnival was reading this thread and realized what a mistake it was to run the add. They should spend the money that they would have spent on adds to lower the price of the cruise.

I was driving around yesterday and the "song" came on. I had to call my husband and let him hear it over the cell phone. I even came home and bought it for my i-pod!!! We leave in the AM and I know they were playing it just for me :)

I was on the phone with my ex husband yesterday....he had been in the hospital for several days.....he had the tv on in his hospital room....while we were talking THAT Carnival commercial came on his tv....I could hear the music through the phone and INSTANTLY recognized it....I heard nothing that he was saying as the commercial played as I was instantly off in "cruise heaven" and could see the commercial as well as moments from my last cruise in my mind as the music came through the phone :eek:

Archived