2 Princess sisters meet at Phu My , Vietnam

The Diamond and the Sapphire met in the Nagasaki shipyard where they were both built in 2002. A devastating fire broke out on the Diamond and  consumed decks 5 through to 14. The Sapphire was being fitted out in the same shipyard but she was a few months 'behind' the Diamond. The Diamond was supposed to go into service first, but it was now so badly damaged, a lot of work was required before it could be handed over to Princess. Solution - the ships swapped identities. The Sapphire was quickly completed, and went into service as the Diamond. The damaged ship (originally the Diamond) was repaired and completed and became the Sapphire.

Just some trivia for cruiseship buffs.

3 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

The Diamond and the Sapphire met in the Nagasaki shipyard where they were both built in 2002. A devastating fire broke out on the Diamond and  consumed decks 5 through to 14. The Sapphire was being fitted out in the same shipyard but she was a few months 'behind' the Diamond. The Diamond was supposed to go into service first, but it was now so badly damaged, a lot of work was required before it could be handed over to Princess. Solution - the ships swapped identities. The Sapphire was quickly completed, and went into service as the Diamond. The damaged ship (originally the Diamond) was repaired and completed and became the Sapphire.

Just some trivia for cruiseship buffs.

Yes, I have had that in one of the quiz's.

We've had a couple of meet-ups like that. When we stopped at Singapore on Golden, Sun was also in port. And on the same cruise when we stopped at Laem Chabang, Sapphire was also in port. And when we were heading down to Sydney on the last leg of a Top End cruise on Dawn we passed Sea going the other way.

17 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We've had a couple of meet-ups like that. When we stopped at Singapore on Golden, Sun was also in port. And on the same cruise when we stopped at Laem Chabang, Sapphire was also in port. And when we were heading down to Sydney on the last leg of a Top End cruise on Dawn we passed Sea going the other way.

The interesting thing about the Diamond and Sapphire meeting up, is their shared history during their fitting out.

Heres an unusual twist, just checked their itineraries and they will be keeping pace with each other till Singapore. Sapphires come from Shanghai and Diamond is cruising Singapore rtn

Sapphire Princess
Mon 14/01/19 Phu My / Vietnam 07:00 18:00
Tue 15/01/19 At Sea
Wed 16/01/19 Laem Chabang / Thailand 07:00 19:00
Thu 17/01/19 Koh Samui / Thailand 08:00 17:00
Fri 18/01/19 At Sea
Sat 19/01/19 Singapore / Singapore 07:00
Diamond Princess
Mon 14/01/19 Phu My / Vietnam 07:00 18:00
Tue 15/01/19 At Sea
Wed 16/01/19 Laem Chabang / Thailand 07:00 19:00
Thu 17/01/19 Koh Samui / Thailand 08:00 17:00
Fri 18/01/19 At Sea
Sat 19/01/19 Singapore / Singapore 07:0

1 hour ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

All sorts of possibilities !!!!

They could  organise sports days for the crew , and for passengers not going out at the ports a trivia competition . Sail aways should be fun.🚢😊

Or a battle of the horn blast tunes.

5 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Or a battle of the horn blast tunes.

Unfortunately those ships don't have the tonal horns like the Royal class ships.

My ears are still recovering from the horn blast contest between Dawn and Sea, and that was in 2015! 🤣

16 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Unfortunately those ships don't have the tonal horns like the Royal class ships.

My ears are still recovering from the horn blast contest between Dawn and Sea, and that was in 2015! 🤣

Ah well,  perhaps a zipline between to two can be set up and add an adventure activity.

Great work David, my two most fav ships in my most fav country, Viet Nam.

Unlike Les, we like visiting the Port of Phu My and go to Vung Tau for the day. We could spend all our time at Robert Taylors Worldwide Arms Museum, an interesting place.

Sailing in and out of that port is fascinating watching all the ships and tankers, plus a red sunset over the river, nice!!

29 minutes ago, cheznandy said:

Unlike Les, we like visiting the Port of Phu My and go to Vung Tau for the day. We could spend all our time at Robert Taylors Worldwide Arms Museum, an interesting place.

Sailing in and out of that port is fascinating watching all the ships and tankers, plus a red sunset over the river, nice!!

The first time we went to Vietnam was  before Phu My opened . We docked at a sugar factory on the river and the busses had to squeeze between the buildings to get to the dock. From there it was a mud track to the main road. Phu My may be a  container wasteland of concrete to Uncle Les but if it was not there the ships of today could not call .

I agree it is a fascinating country to visit. When I was cruising we went there 3 times. First call  we went to HCMC on the 2 hour shuttle ,Next we did a wonderful Countryside  and Vung Tau tour and met the locals in their own houses , and on the 3rd call took the shuttle to nearby Ba Ria and wandered around the town. On that one the bus broke down and one of the passengers was an Australian mechanic and he crawled underneath and fixed it up for us so we could get back to the ship .  

Here are the bridge cams from today

16 di 2.jpg

16 di.jpg

Edited by Kiwi Kruzer

19 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

The first time we went to Vietnam was  before Phu My opened . We docked at a sugar factory on the river and the busses had to squeeze between the buildings to get to the dock. From there it was a mud track to the main road. Phu My may be a  container wasteland of concrete to Uncle Les but if it was not there the ships of today could not call .

I agree it is a fascinating country to visit. When I was cruising we went there 3 times. First call  we went to HCMC on the 2 hour shuttle ,Next we did a wonderful Countryside  and Vung Tau tour and met the locals in their own houses , and on the 3rd call took the shuttle to nearby Ba Ria and wandered around the town. On that one the bus broke down and one of the passengers was an Australian mechanic and he crawled underneath and fixed it up for us so we could get back to the ship .

Too funny David, my husband is a mechanic by trade and when we were travelling around Australia he would say to me "shhh, dont tell anyone I am a mechanic" and I would say "well dont tell them I was a hairdresser" amazing how many people needed haircuts and vehicles fixed!! We worked on a few stations and he was in high demand also being a farmer and we went from one station to another.

I am sure he would have had a look at the bus too to get back to the ship on time!

5 hours ago, cheznandy said:

Vietnam is a wonderful place to visit.