First Time Alaska Cruiser - early May

sillypuppy

Depends what you define as too cold. As you are from Canada, I suspect cold is not an issue. You could Google search weather for a couple of your ports. For example, try searching "May Juneau weather". Depending on your route, Tracy Arm for example, may have limited access.

1 hour ago, sillypuppy said:

Have been wanting to cruise Alaska for so many years, and I think 2019 will be the year!  Looking at Holland America out of Vancouver May 8 to 15.  Am I being crazy - is that way too early???  Will it be too cold to enjoy?

May is my favorite month to cruise Alaska for the following reasons:  lowest rain month, still a bit of snow on the hills, a little chill in the morning, lots of baby animals learning about life, lowest cruise and air fares month, very few kids, and no mosquitos.

• Like 3

While May weather can be changeable, in Vancouver,  May 2018 was rather hot and dry, with temperatures approaching 30 C some days. Agree with the previous reply, May can be an excellent month to see Alaska, especially being less crowded. Only negative is the slightly higher chance of rougher weather.

• Like 1

Like Crew News, May has been my favorite time to cruise to Alaska. We started out cruising in May because of the lower fares, but we have found the weather to be really nice. We're from northern California and have never felt too cold in May. And with the snow on the hills, it looks like Alaska. I think you'll have a wonderful time.

• Like 1

I just booked my first Alaskan cruise, I work all summer and haven't been able to book one yet.  But the Ruby Princess is sailing on April 23rd.  12 day cruise from LA.  So excited.  But this seems to be real early, I think we are the first ship to port in Alaska this year.  Just hope it is not to early to see some whales.

I did a very similar sailing last year for my first Alaskan cruise.  Weather was PERFECT!!!  Obviously there's no telling what it will be this May but we had no issues.  It rained one night while everyone was sleeping and rained when we first got to Juneau but cleared up and was nice the rest of the day.  I had planned for cold and it was in the mid 60's a couple days.  I can't speak for everyone else but I was pleasantly surprised.  I'd say pack a few extra layers just in case... you'll be fine

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PekingeseLady said:

I just booked my first Alaskan cruise, I work all summer and haven't been able to book one yet.  But the Ruby Princess is sailing on April 23rd.  12 day cruise from LA.  So excited.  But this seems to be real early, I think we are the first ship to port in Alaska this year.  Just hope it is not to early to see some whales.

Although you might be lucky to see whales from the ship, it will take many hours of staring at the water.  To be sure of seeing whales, you will need to go to an Auke Bay excursion to see whales.  In addition to the whales who are in Auke Bay year-round, there will be migrating whales there in April in such numbers that seeing a whale on an excursion is guarenteed in writing by the excursion vendors.

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 2

We are also going for our first cruise to Alaska in early May. We have booked the excursion in Juneau for whale watch with the guarantee. We are from mid-west, so the May weather there would not bother us at all. It is great to find cheaper round trip ticket to Seattle before the school break. The hotels are also slightly cheaper before the summer season.

On 1/16/2019 at 10:22 AM, Crew News said:

Although you might be lucky to see whales from the ship, it will take many hours of staring at the water.  To be sure of seeing whales, you will need to go to an Auke Bay excursion to see whales.  In addition to the whales who are in Auke Bay year-round, there will be migrating whales there in April in such numbers that seeing a whale on an excursion is guarenteed in writing by the excursion vendors.

While most of the whale watch vendors are totally reliable, you do have to understand what the guarantee means.  For most tours, it means that if you so much see a bit of a whale spout off in the distance and don't see a whale surfacing near by, this counts as seeing whale.  Also, it is their word against yours as to whether you saw a whale.  I am not saying they will not do their best to give you a good tour and get you close to whales and I am not suggesting that you should not take a whale tour but the guarantee is basically worthless.  

DON

I saw one that gave you a 50% refund on your tour cost but as I said, one whale spout off in the distance from a whale that never surfaces counts as a sighting.   The bottom line is that wild animals are by definition where they want to be and not where you want them to be.  If you go on wild animal tours, you have to accept that.

One possible exception to this rule is a site such as Anan during salmon season.  You are almost guaranteed to see bears there.  We are going there for the 3d time this summer.

DON

Edited by donaldsc