Disembark/Embark by tender in Vancouver. How will Viking handle this?

Pushka

On 1/16/2019 at 2:41 PM, Aussie Cruise Nuts said:

Pushka,   Thanks for the “heads up” on Vancouver.    We are disembarking the cruise before yours after 37 days from Hong Kong.    I agree it is going to be an “interesting” disembarkation via tender and same for your embarkation.   Not sure how well the logistics will work and sound like plenty of scope for delays, particularily for your departure time.      Any delays  getting our pax  off will snowball onto your cruise.     Agree it could be a tad stressful. 

Could also be stressful for disembarking pax if they have tight timelines for flights.   I am glad we have a hotel booked in Vancouver for 2 nights.  

I know these port arrangements can change, so I have my fingers crossed for all of us hoping a berth may miraculously appear !!!! 

We will wave from our tender as we come in.   Don’t forget to wave back.  

Cheers.   Rod 

Hi Rod we have a hotel booked in Vancouver as well, maybe we could do something together there.

cheers Sue

5 hours ago, Brisbanelionsfan said:

Hi Rod we have a hotel booked in Vancouver as well, maybe we could do something together there.

cheers Sue

Sue.   Any Brisbane Lions Fan is a friend of mine.     Although my first love is Rugby (after my Darling of course).    Reds leading the  Stormers 21-7 as I write this.     Good to see the Lions having a better start to the season.   Hope it continues.   

We are catching up with some Canadian cruise friends (from a 2017 cruise) in Vancouver, likely the  first night, but let’s catch up on board and see what works for us.  

We are staying at the Wedgewood Hotel.    

Are you on Hong Kong to Vancouver, Tokyo to Vancouver or a longer cruise ?

We  can hopefully catch up at the Meet and Mingle on board or give us a call in 6024.   

Rod and Lyn. 

As expected it sounds like another 'Viking scramble' to get their act together while trying to present an organized appearance to the paying public.  Although it 'sounds' like they might have a plan, I would bet more on the information coming from the port as being accurate in comparison to the sounds of crickets chirping coming from Viking...

I believe i mentioned earlier the possibility of Canada Customs boarding and clearing the ship at anchor, which is totally feasible given it will be a face to face inspection and based on comparable experiences with US and UK inspections it should go pretty quickly, provided of course people have their act together on all sides.

The fact that Viking is using the incident on Sky as a reason/excuse for not updating passengers just indicates how woefully incapable they appear to be when it comes to dealing with more than one issue, whereby the advising of a schedule change would in my mind be a pretty simple endeavor?  Sure its not tomorrow, and some people don't seem to care too much but for others who've made plans and paid for things in advance based on a schedule given to them by Viking which hasn't been changed officially, its no doubt frustrating and i can bet those who did the same and are not getting up to date information via this form will be extremely disappointed if they have to make last minute changes.

If this were the first time it's happened I would pass it on as part of the process, but we were on the Sea a couple years ago, expecting to embark in Barcelona but were told last minute that we were being bused to Tarragona to embark which is over an hour away from the city we landed in and expected to enjoy, only to then sail back to Barcelona the following day?!?  It came out that the change was due to traffic in the port, which now as i say seems to be a recurring theme.....

1 hour ago, Captain_Morgan said:

The fact that Viking is using the incident on Sky as a reason/excuse for not updating passengers just indicates how woefully incapable they appear to be when it comes to dealing with more than one issue, whereby the advising of a schedule change would in my mind be a pretty simple endeavor?  Sure its not tomorrow, and some people don't seem to care too much but for others who've made plans and paid for things in advance based on a schedule given to them by Viking which hasn't been changed officially, its no doubt frustrating and i can bet those who did the same and are not getting up to date information via this forum will be extremely disappointed if they have to make last minute changes.

I haven't seen anywhere that Viking is using the incident on Sky as a reason/excuse for not updating passengers.  A fellow poster here proposed that as a reason, but it did not come from Viking.

2 hours ago, gatour said:

I haven't seen anywhere that Viking is using the incident on Sky as a reason/excuse for not updating passengers.  A fellow poster here proposed that as a reason, but it did not come from Viking.

I stand corrected....but the complete lack of ANY comms coming from Viking proves my point...

Can

56 minutes ago, Captain_Morgan said:

I stand corrected....but the complete lack of ANY comms coming from Viking proves my point...

Can't comment on communications with this cruise, but in our experience, Viking's communications are exceptional.

We are still 9 months from departure and in the past week have received 3 communications - an intro from the Chairman, notification of the email and phone number for the World Cruise customer service group and that our Shore-ex are now posted for viewing.

For those pax not receiving notice of the embarkation change, did you book directly with Viking or through a T/A.  We are expecting notification that our stop at Komodo Island is cancelled, as the island is being closed, effective Jan 1st.. As this is a change to the cruise, Viking must notify the T/A, who then passes on the info. Using a T/A, I do not expect to receive schedule changes direct from Viking

21 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

For those pax not receiving notice of the embarkation change, did you book directly with Viking or through a T/A.

We are using the same T/A for this cruise that we have used for many years now and he promptly sends us any communications he receives from our usual cruise line. Can’t see why he wouldn’t do the same for Viking notifications.

This has nothing to do with Vancouver, again, but we disembarked Orion in Bali a little over a week ago via tender. We had to turn our passports in to reception for a few days (they gave us a receipt) and my understanding was that Indonesian officials came onboard to do the clearance or whatever you want to call it. It was really not much of a hassle. 

5 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Can

Can't comment on communications with this cruise, but in our experience, Viking's communications are exceptional.

We are still 9 months from departure and in the past week have received 3 communications - an intro from the Chairman, notification of the email and phone number for the World Cruise customer service group and that our Shore-ex are now posted for viewing.

For those pax not receiving notice of the embarkation change, did you book directly with Viking or through a T/A.  We are expecting notification that our stop at Komodo Island is cancelled, as the island is being closed, effective Jan 1st.. As this is a change to the cruise, Viking must notify the T/A, who then passes on the info. Using a T/A, I do not expect to receive schedule changes direct from Viking

I booked directly with Viking. The only communications I’ve received about embarkation in Vancouver is a response from an email I sent to them. There have been no communications initiated by Viking about embarkation by tender and what this will mean. I’m not impressed. 

Further, the email sent to Australians advising that excursions were about to open up once the new excursion timing was released a couple of weeks ago (from midnight to midday) did not calculate the correct time for Australia and the time they gave for us to book was actually an hour AFTER the excursions were released for our DV. I rang them and advised the time was incorrect and they insisted I was wrong. I logged in at the time I calculated and the excursions opened as I logged in. 

5 hours ago, stretchcruz said:

This has nothing to do with Vancouver, again, but we disembarked Orion in Bali a little over a week ago via tender. We had to turn our passports in to reception for a few days (they gave us a receipt) and my understanding was that Indonesian officials came onboard to do the clearance or whatever you want to call it. It was really not much of a hassle. 

Sure, but this is the USA we are trying to ‘enter’. 

Edited by Pushka

Can

Surely you realize that World Cruise customers are being given extra special, next-level customer service. Passengers on standard one- or two-week cruises will never receive a message from the Chairman. (Unless your ship has to be evacuated in the North Sea [emoji6])

I booked my upcoming cruise last July, and the only communication I've received since then was the automatic email announcing the booking window for excursions was "now open!" Of course, I received the email the night before they actually opened. And we don't get a special customer service phone number, nor the ability to view excursions NINE MONTHS before the cruise.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

51 minutes ago, just_dont said:

Surely you realize that World Cruise customers are being given extra special, next-level customer service. Passengers on standard one- or two-week cruises will never receive a message from the Chairman. (Unless your ship has to be evacuated in the North Sea emoji6.png)

I booked my upcoming cruise last July, and the only communication I've received since then was the automatic email announcing the booking window for excursions was "now open!" Of course, I received the email the night before they actually opened. And we don't get a special customer service phone number, nor the ability to view excursions NINE MONTHS before the cruise.

Aren't we being a teensy bit cynical? I agree that world cruise customers probably do "rate" a service at a higher level than the rest of us; however, with regards to viewing excursions far in advance, i can tell you that we were able to view our Viking River excursions last October for a cruise starting this July. A good 9-10 months in advance. The booking window opened last February. Improvements are being made with regards to informing us when we can begin viewing - not book - excursions. I happened to check our MVJ for a cruise starting in May 2020 recently and found a welcome notice telling me when we'll be able to start viewing our excursions (17 Jan 20), thus saving me from what used to be a guessing game. Re when your booking window opens - that's a date that is provided on your invoice and also on your MVJ site. All you have to do is look. They also make it quite clear in their FAQs when the booking windows open for excursions and specialty dining reservations.

Edited by CharTrav

17 minutes ago, CharTrav said:

Aren't we being a teensy bit cynical? I agree that world cruise customers probably do "rate" a service at a higher level than the rest of us; however, with regards to viewing excursions far in advance, i can tell you that we were able to view our Viking River excursions last October for a cruise starting this July. A good 9-10 months in advance. The booking window opened last February. Improvements are being made with regards to informing us when we can begin viewing - not book - excursions. I happened to check our MVJ for a cruise starting in May 2020 recently and found a welcome notice telling me when we'll be able to start viewing our excursions (17 Jan 20), thus saving me from what used to be a guessing game. Re when your booking window opens - that's a date that is provided on your invoice and also on your MVJ site. All you have to do is look. They also make it quite clear in their FAQs when the booking windows open for excursions and specialty dining reservations.

Not being cynical at all.  I totally understand WC pax getting the special treatment.  Just making the point that it is just that - special.  It's not the norm.

And river cruise excursions are handled differently than ocean.  Our river cruise in 2017 was similar to your experience.  The "standard" for VO has been for excursions to be viewable 100-120 days before the cruise.  You post here frequently, so I'm sure you know that.  And the advance notice (if you happen to look in MVJ) of when your excursions will be viewable is, as you noted, apparently a recent improvement.  There was never anything like that - even in MVJ - for our June 2019 cruise.  I looked,  The excursions just appeared in MVJ one day, and it happened to be 120 days before the cruise.

My apologies for the thread drift, but it was intended to be about the quality or frequency of communication from Viking, and my intent was only to point out that WC customers, quite reasonably, get better communication than non-WC customers.

Edited by just_dont

6 minutes ago, just_dont said:

Not being cynical at all.  I totally understand WC pax getting the special treatment.  Just making the point that it is just that - special.  It's not the norm.

And river cruise excursions are handled differently than ocean.  Our river cruise in 2017 was similar to your experience.  The "standard" for VO has been for excursions to be viewable 100-120 days before the cruise.  You post here frequently, so I'm sure you know that.  And the advance notice (if you happen to look in MVJ) of when your excursions will be viewable is, as you noted, apparently a recent improvement.  There was never anything like that - even in MVJ - for our June 2019 cruise.  I looked,  The excursions just appeared in MVJ one day, and it happened to be 120 days before the cruise.

My apologies for the thread drift, but it was intended to be about the quality or frequency of communication from Viking, and my intent was only to point out that WC customers, quite reasonably, get better communication than non-WC customers.

No prob. Btw - there is a thread elsewhere about MVJ - what it does, doesn't do, and wishes that it would do. When I discovered the new functionality in MVJ (2 wks ago?) i made a point to share the news along with the admission that the change was not obvious. 

9 minutes ago, CharTrav said:

No prob. Btw - there is a thread elsewhere about MVJ - what it does, doesn't do, and wishes that it would do. When I discovered the new functionality in MVJ (2 wks ago?) i made a point to share the news along with the admission that the change was not obvious. 

Thank you.  I'm completely on top of everything related to my cruise and have nothing to complain about.  And when I have questions, I know where to go to get them answered. 

But I can also understand the "insufficient communication" issues expressed in this thread with regard to Viking's handling of this first change-over in Vancouver, and I imagine I too would be a bit frustrated by the uncertainty of it all.

Edit: The cruise docs for our 2017 VR cruise stated a specific docking location in Amsterdam, but we were notified by email one day before embarkation that it would be at a different dock FAAAAAAR from Centraal Station, and we had to do quite a bit of ad lib to get our luggage to the boat, then back to town for a canal cruise, and then back to the boat - all on our own dime - when we were expecting it to be a couple short walks.

Edited by just_dont

Pushka, sorry, I thought that you were entering Canada. My mistake. I don't think I know how to quote. I was just trying to say that it wasn't as big a deal as we thought it would be disembarking, luggage and all, in Bali.

Edited by stretchcruz
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Aussie Cruise Nuts said:

Sue.   Any Brisbane Lions Fan is a friend of mine.     Although my first love is Rugby (after my Darling of course).    Reds leading the  Stormers 21-7 as I write this.     Good to see the Lions having a better start to the season.   Hope it continues.   

We are catching up with some Canadian cruise friends (from a 2017 cruise) in Vancouver, likely the  first night, but let’s catch up on board and see what works for us.  

We are staying at the Wedgewood Hotel.    

Are you on Hong Kong to Vancouver, Tokyo to Vancouver or a longer cruise ?

We  can hopefully catch up at the Meet and Mingle on board or give us a call in 6024.   

Rod and Lyn. 

Hi Rod, we are on the Tokyo to Vancouver leg, getting pretty excited now, not long before we leave. We are having 10 days in Japan before we get on the cruise.

We love rugby too, go Reds! And follow the Broncos!

We will certainly get in contact with you once we are on board.

see you both soon.

cheers Sue

12 hours ago, just_dont said:

Surely you realize that World Cruise customers are being given extra special, next-level customer service. Passengers on standard one- or two-week cruises will never receive a message from the Chairman. (Unless your ship has to be evacuated in the North Sea emoji6.png)

Only mentioned the comparison, as the cruise ending Vancouver on May 26th, originates in Sydney and is published in the World Cruise/Grand Voyage section of the website as a 79 day voyage. The 37 day segment from Hong Kong to Vancouver is also published as a World Cruise/Grand Voyage.

6 hours ago, Insanityx4 said:

You are correct, we are entering Canada, not the US.

And by getting on the ship we are entering USA but that process seems cut and dry. Assuming we can drop off the luggage on time and they let us through. It’s what happens after immigration that hopefully means we can board even if by tender and not go on a tour to somewhere we’ve likely been instead of getting to know the ship. 

Pretty sure the cruise after ours will only go through Canadian Custom in Vancouver. I doubt very much if there will be US Customs Officials in Ketchican. You just show your room key when getting on and off the ship in Alaska. That has been our experience.

Edited by Insanityx4

19 hours ago, Pushka said:

And by getting on the ship we are entering USA but that process seems cut and dry. Assuming we can drop off the luggage on time and they let us through. It’s what happens after immigration that hopefully means we can board even if by tender and not go on a tour to somewhere we’ve likely been instead of getting to know the ship. 

Pushka,

You can normally drop off your bags outside  departures starting between 09:30 & 10:30. You can also drop bags at the Pan Pacific, who I believe charge about $5 per bag.

On dropping bags, you can head back up to the street level and spend time touring Vancouver. Upon return to Canada Place, you first clear security, then cruise line check-in, followed by US Immigration. You have no Customs/Immigration at any Alaska port.

After US Immigration, anyone that returns to shore has to go through Canada Customs and upon return to the terminal, after security you would go through US Immigration again. If tendering you to the ship at anchor, after US Immigration, they would need to take you down to the dock level and to the wharf, by bus. The Waterfront Road has public access, so Viking would be required to ensure all pax actually went to the ship, as technically you have already departed Canada and entered the U.S.