Security, check-in and embarkation in Miami

dropusaline

We are scheduled on the new Encore Dec 1st. (Miami) We have scoured the internet and can't seem to find the info we are looking for.  Can we have information on the whole procedure from the moment the UBER drops us off to the moment our feet are on board and maybe a bit more..  I know the new terminal is not built yet so specifics can't be provided but the procedure probably stay the same .  The situation is that we don't mind being early because we are hoping to get Vibe passes, if they even have room left for Vibe or Spice H2O for that matter.  How early is early? Are we assigned boarding times based on our check-in time?  Besides Priority boarding how can we make sure we are next? Do we sit and wait or is it best to get in some sort of line? We would appreciate any information.  Thank you

When you are 60, I think, days out you can pick your boarding time. They usually start boarding, security around 11 or so.

(unless its different with new terminal this is usually how it's done) When uber drops you off you'll find a porter to take your luggage right there out front on the long sidewalk. You can then approach the doors to security and they will check your papers and you stand in line waiting to go thru security. If you arrive at say 10am you'll be standing in line before security. Next, go thru scanners and such, grab a health form, stand in check in line where they will sign you in, give you key etc. Then you move on to sit in the terminal to wait. Once boarding is underway they will call boarding groups and you enter and get on boat 

The last report I saw says that the new terminal opening will be delayed until Spring.

Once you print your E-Docs, they will tell you whether you will board in Terminal B or C.  Usually the buildings begin accepting passengers about 9:30 A.M. IF there are no issues with the prior cruise--delayed arrival for instance.  There also could be delays in Boarding because of either a US Public Health inspection or a US Coast Guard inspection ( if this is a full inspection plus a crew drill, it could take a couple of hours).  As soon as Customs clears the ship for boarding, you board in groups usually beginning between 11:00 and 11:30 A.M.  Haven and CAS board 1st, Handicapped, Ambassadors. Platinum Plus and Platinum passengers and then General Boarding begins.

Wow thank you.  If we arrive at 9h30 we should be near the beginning of the security line?  So check-in is the next procedure after security.  Is it safe to say that it is not the check-in counter that assign the boarding time.  This is determined by the on line procedure and what time we choose.    Also, after check-in, is there a line to get into as well as the seated area or all guests are seated and there is no line up?  Do you happen to know where we go for the ViBe passes?

There is a difference between check in time and boarding time. You will have your check-in time done online. After you check in you will go wait in a holding room where upon entering they will give you a boarding number. Not sure if they alternate between terminals when calling numbers. It is so far out that procedures can change . 

Also Spice H2o is not anything you need a pass for. 

I think the Vibe passes are different on different ships.... You may have to ask as you get closer.. 

Edited by kelib

You can ask for your cruise or search the forum about where to get Vibe passes.  I heard on the Getaway (we are expecting to cruise on that this coming Sunday), that you go to the headliners comedy club to try for those passes.  I understand that there is no guarantee, especially if you don't have priority boarding of getting those, and that they often sell out quickly.  Just level set expectations so you aren't too disappointed if you don't get these.

Check-in times are assigned (you select when doing your online check-in), and that is what should be on your eDocs.

Embarkation times are based on your boarding group, and is provided to you when you enter the waiting area (for General Boarding).

So if your check-in time says 10 AM and you arrive at 9:30 they will likely not let you into the building yet and you will have to wait for your assigned time to even enter.  If you arrive after your check-in time then you can just enter.  Once through security you will typically wait in a line for check-in, and once all that work is done make your way to the waiting area where before you enter you will be given a boarding number.

For example if you had a 9:30 check-in time and got there right away and got through security and check-in quickly and went right to the waiting area you will likely get a lower boarding number. 

However even if you have that same check-in time but don't arrive until 11 AM by the time you get up to the waiting area you will get a much worse boarding number.  So what boarding number you get is based on when you actually get to the waiting area and has nothing to do with your assigned check-in time, other than if you show up at your check-in time and is early then you will likely get up to the waiting area early as well.

This is for general boarding, things are a little different if you are Ambassador, Platinum Plus, Platinum, in a Haven room or booked through CAS.

I sailed out of Miami on the Jade in Late November, and since I am platinum, I was able to check in through the platinum line which was quicker than the general boarding, but when I went to the boarding area, I was given a boarding number based on when I arrived at the boarding area, so I think it will vary by ship how they board.  I got to the port around 10:00 and ended up being in group number 6.  

1 hour ago, dropusaline said:

Thank you.  I still have questions...

Check-in or embarkation times are assigned?

Is arriving at 9h30 too early?

And yes, I know we likely won't get the passes but we would like to try.  

9:30 is not early. May want to target 9:00 or earlier if you are shooting for VIbe passes.

Drop off is on a common curb for Terminals B and C. You bags can go to any porter. And you will walk to your asssigned terminal. 

If you are early, you will wait inside (air conditioning/heating) the terminal for security to open. You will go through a magnetometer and X-ray if your hand carry. 

Dash up to check-in, grabbing a health form in the way in. Don’t stop to fill it out, do that at the counter. Have your passports in hand along with your one boarding pass (first page of edocs). 

Then an it is quickly up the escalator and grabbing a card makes Boarding Group 1. Priority boarding starts around 11:00. Suites, Ambassadors, Platinum Plus, and Platinum members. Then they will call Group 1. Be at the boarding door. Get through ship security (scanning room keys), up the gangway, and down to Deck 6 mid to The Social (this is all a guess until the first encore voyage leaves in November. 

I'm on the Bliss leaving Saturday.  I'm going to try to get to the port around 9 AM as I've done in the past.  Security will start scanning passengers around 9:30 provided there were no issues as stated above with the previous sailing.  Your e-docs will tell you which terminal (usually C is even decks, B is odd), might be different after new port opens.  You go through security, fill out the health questionnaire, go to check in, then up the escalator to a holding area where you're given a boarding group number.  General boarding usually begins between 11:30 and 12 noon, in group number order.   

As of today, the Port of Miami does not enforce the check in times. If the OP arrives at 9:30 they will enter the terminal building and check in. They will then head upstairs and at the top of the escalator they wil given a boarding group number. The numbers are given out in order, and apply to general boarding. Prior to general boarding certain passengers are allowed on board including Haven guests, Platinum guests, and special needs. Boarding then begins with group 1.

There is no way to insure that you will get group 1, but if that is your goal you should be at the port and in line no later than 9:00 a.m., and 8:45 would be better even if the porters aren't accepting luggage.

3 hours ago, nlittle said:

My edocs for April says boarding starts at noon and there is no assigned check in time.  I was planning on arriving at about 11...sounds late?

Eleven is not a bad arrival time, but I would wait until noon if it were me. If you arrive at noon, the lines should be moving quicker because the first rush of people will be on the ship. If you want to board early arrive at 10:00.

• 2 months later...
On 1/17/2019 at 4:46 PM, zqvol said:

Eleven is not a bad arrival time, but I would wait until noon if it were me. If you arrive at noon, the lines should be moving quicker because the first rush of people will be on the ship. If you want to board early arrive at 10:00.

Thank you!  I think we will try early since we will either be waiting at the hotel or at the terminal... once step closer to the ship is always better! 🙂

• Like 1

On 3/18/2019 at 11:39 AM, www3traveler said:

The new Norwegian terminal is not expected to open until sometime in the Spring 2019.

When you print your cruise documents, it will say either Terminal B or C.  They are right next door to each other.

Actually I printed and it is not there... will look into it.

Edited by nlittle

On 1/17/2019 at 10:57 AM, nlittle said:

My edocs for April says boarding starts at noon and there is no assigned check in time.  I was planning on arriving at about 11...sounds late?

We usually arrive around 10:15 - 10:30.  Stuff is pretty busy already by then.  But I've had extremely different results at different ports...so nothing seems to be hard and fast.  In NYC last year, the Breakaway was late getting back and we just stood in the terminal for a couple of hours, not having even gone through security.  Then it was just a free-for-all!.  A couple of years ago, we sailed on the Jewel, and because of a late flight, we didn't arrive at the port until 1, and the place was packed and we stood in the check in line (after security) for an hour, waiting our turn.  Then last year, on the Allure of the Seas, we arrived at 11 and were onboard at 11:20, even though the terminal was packed.  Be ready for anything, and understand that the best, most thoughtful strategy in the world is liable to blow up.  

The OP here wants Vibe passes...that's a difficult thing to pull off, so their strategy is pretty specific.  If you just want to get on the ship reasonably early and aren't just insane about doing something, you have more time, I think.  (But I like to get there early, because I'm already so excited to be cruising.  Love being around the ship and watching the hustle & bustle.)  One thing to think about...depending on your ship...some ships, like the Bliss have things you can only reserve once onboard (race cars, lazer tag, comedy shows) and I would think if that's the case with you, and that's something you want to do...get their earlier.

I have always ignored the edoc check-in time.  I know that makes me a bad person...but it really doesn't seem to matter.

2 hours ago, nlittle said:
On 3/18/2019 at 11:39 AM, www3traveler said:

When you print your cruise documents, it will say either Terminal B or C.  They are right next door to each other.

Actually I printed and it is not there... will look into it.

We're on Breakaway 5/5/19, wonder if they have done away with selecting  B or C, I don't see them on my edoc's just "Boarding Begins at: 12:00 PM"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rmurray847 said:

We usually arrive around 10:15 - 10:30.  Stuff is pretty busy already by then.  But I've had extremely different results at different ports...so nothing seems to be hard and fast.  In NYC last year, the Breakaway was late getting back and we just stood in the terminal for a couple of hours, not having even gone through security.  Then it was just a free-for-all!.  A couple of years ago, we sailed on the Jewel, and because of a late flight, we didn't arrive at the port until 1, and the place was packed and we stood in the check in line (after security) for an hour, waiting our turn.  Then last year, on the Allure of the Seas, we arrived at 11 and were onboard at 11:20, even though the terminal was packed.  Be ready for anything, and understand that the best, most thoughtful strategy in the world is liable to blow up.  

The OP here wants Vibe passes...that's a difficult thing to pull off, so their strategy is pretty specific.  If you just want to get on the ship reasonably early and aren't just insane about doing something, you have more time, I think.  (But I like to get there early, because I'm already so excited to be cruising.  Love being around the ship and watching the hustle & bustle.)  One thing to think about...depending on your ship...some ships, like the Bliss have things you can only reserve once onboard (race cars, lazer tag, comedy shows) and I would think if that's the case with you, and that's something you want to do...get their earlier.

I have always ignored the edoc check-in time.  I know that makes me a bad person...but it really doesn't seem to matter.

Thanks for the tip, we moved our van pickup to 9:30 and that should get us there at 10 or so... I would rather wait in the terminal with a chance of getting on early (like you) than wait at the hotel wondering!

21 hours ago, nlittle said:

Thanks for the tip, we moved our van pickup to 9:30 and that should get us there at 10 or so... I would rather wait in the terminal with a chance of getting on early (like you) than wait at the hotel wondering!

LOL.  Yep, I'd rather see the ship waiting for me a few yards away than stare at the lobby in our hotel.  If we want to spend serious time at the city we're departing from, we'll just come in earlier.  For us, now, the day of the cruise is all about the cruise!

• Like 1