How closely does AMEX look at the booking dates for their rewards?

k_y30

Hi all,

Pretty simple question, how closely does AMEX look at the booking dates for their bill credit rewards? They currently have a reward going for $100 off a $500 purchase through carnival but it has to be booked from October of 2018 through March of 2019. I was just wondering if anyone has paid for a cruise booked outside these dates and gotten the reward, thanks!

As far as I know, American Express is pretty detailed with the terms of their rewards/offers. I know at some retailers, they see the data from the sale, and will remove bonus points from purchases that don't qualify. I don't see them going outside of the advertised date.

• Like 1

I have used multiple offers on the same cruise.  So yes, I have used the offer in a cruise that was booked prior to the dates listed in the offer.  I believe Amex looks at the transaction date and as long as it is for a reservation and posted by carnival directly, you are good to go.

2 hours ago, k_y30 said:

Hi all,

Pretty simple question, how closely does AMEX look at the booking dates for their bill credit rewards? They currently have a reward going for $100 off a $500 purchase through carnival but it has to be booked from October of 2018 through March of 2019. I was just wondering if anyone has paid for a cruise booked outside these dates and gotten the reward, thanks!

If I understand your question correctly you are wanting to know if you can pay on a previously booked cruise? As long as the transaction occurs inside the offer window, AND the transaction is coded as Carnival Cruise lines (or another of the World's Leading Cruise Lines properties) not as a fun shops or other purchases such as onboard credit or cheers or something, it should work. I have successfully used the offer to pay partial payment on next years cruise that was booked several months ago.

For our upcoming cruise, December was the final payment date.  During the summer, AMEX had the offer so I paid the $500 and got the $100 off.  In November, they had the offer again but this time it wasn't in the time frame they had.  I paid off the balance and low and behold, they gave me another $100 off. 

By the way, on the AMEX bill when it came showed Carnival Reservations   $XXXX.XX.  On the next line was Carniival Reservations  -$100.00

If your cruise is already paid off, they will not give you credit for Cheers, excursions, or anything other than the reservation.  Others on here have tried it and it didn't go through.

Edited by RWolver672

3 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

For our upcoming cruise, December was the final payment date.  During the summer, AMEX had the offer so I paid the $500 and got the $100 off.  In November, they had the offer again but this time it wasn't in the time frame they had.  I paid off the balance and low and behold, they gave me another $100 off. 

By the way, on the AMEX bill when it came showed Carnival Reservations   $XXXX.XX.  On the next line was Carniival Reservations  -$100.00

If your cruise is already paid off, they will not give you credit for Cheers, excursions, or anything other than the reservation.  Others on here have tried it and it didn't go through.

On A Holland America cruise last summer I used the credit twice, once on my card and once on DW's card. When the offer came up again, I used it once more for OBC, and also got the credit. But, from reading other posts, it seems that does not work on Carnival.

9 hours ago, mjktg99 said:

I have used multiple offers on the same cruise.  So yes, I have used the offer in a cruise that was booked prior to the dates listed in the offer.  I believe Amex looks at the transaction date and as long as it is for a reservation and posted by carnival directly, you are good to go.

The transaction comes thru AMEX as a reservation charge (or something close to that name)  with no dates as to when that reservation you're paying for is booked - only that you made a payment.

Purchases made in the Fun Shops prior to your cruise do not count as they're posted as such.

As others have said, the PAYMENT for either an initial deposit or payment to an existing reservation has to be made withing the dates of the offer.  It is not just for new reservations.

I have been able to use two separate offers on our cruise to Cuba coming up in May.