Time Change on Queen Victoria?

jeno

We are boarding the QV on Monday and disembarking in Auckland a month later.  During the cruise we will gain 18 hours. I’ve done many transatlantics and the clock was always changed during the night.  I’ve heard in the past about a ship or ships that change the clock mid-afternoon.  I’m assuming the clocks on the QV will be changed during the night, but does anyone know for sure? 

We haven't been on QV recently and never on a world cruise, but last summer we did a 21-day voyage on QM2 consisting of a round-trip crossing from New York with a cruise to Norway in between.

As has been the case for that past several years, the clock changes going forward an hour (during the eastbound crossing) were done at noon while the clock changes going backward an hour (during the westbound crossing) were done at night.

However, both the forward and the backward clock changes during the Norway cruise on QM2 were done at night. So, based on this and some of the other responses here, perhaps the convention of moving clocks forward at noon is mostly confined to crossings?

• Thanks 2

19 hours ago, jeno said:

We are boarding the QV on Monday and disembarking in Auckland a month later.  During the cruise we will gain 18 hours. I’ve done many transatlantics and the clock was always changed during the night.  I’ve heard in the past about a ship or ships that change the clock mid-afternoon.  I’m assuming the clocks on the QV will be changed during the night, but does anyone know for sure? 

Hi jeno,

as you are going west you gain, they do it at night so as not to confuse .... otherwise people will be wandering around the ship going,..."is the lecture on Euthanasia at  the old1pm or the new 1pm?" Just think of all the fabulous lie ins the extra hour at night will create...

Cruiseluvva is quite correct in that the head office leaves any time changes up to the Master at the  time but thats usually only  a choice when going east.

ps keep packing!

Edited by roscoe39
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

I have only ever had overnight time changes on Queen Victoria ( but I haven't sailed on her during a World Cruise !).

Clocks were moved forward at midday the other month (Nov/Dec 2018) on the Q.Vic 24 day Caribbean cruise. 12 noon became 1pm.

Returning back to the UK, the times of some of the 'usual daily activities' in the daily program were reschedule, to fit in around lunch times.   example;  the dance lessons, usually at 12.15 rescheduled to 11.15 etc .

Edited by Bell Boy

On 1/18/2019 at 3:26 PM, cruiseluvva said:

We were told, it was at the discretion of the Captain. 

In the early days when this idea was first introduced ( Transatlantic crossings)  it may have been so . However, these days moving the  'clocks forward at midday' (rather than during the night)  is now the norm across the Cunard fleet.   More agreeable to the guest ,  not only that, it  is good for the bar revenue ( more late nights)  😉

Edited by Bell Boy

There are some fairly recent daily programmes posted on rakkor's blog (blog.rakkor.uk) from voyage V833, 5-16 November 2018 Iberian voyage on QV, showing the clocks were moved forward during the night (early morning hours) of 6 November (and then also moved back during the night of 13 November).

50 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

There are some fairly recent daily programmes posted on rakkor's blog (blog.rakkor.uk) from voyage V833, 5-16 November 2018 Iberian voyage on QV, showing the clocks were moved forward during the night (early morning hours) of 6 November (and then also moved back during the night of 13 November).

Interesting, yes I noticed this too. I guess as it was a on European cruise, with only one hour time change forward, it would make sense to  move the clock forward during that first night of the day of embarkation. It gets it out of the way, I suppose the majority of the guests will have gone to bed early.    

23 hours ago, Bell Boy said:

Anyone else wishing to comment, on their 'Recent' time changes , excluding overnight trips to Europe .  

Your comment about "overnight trips to Europe" may be the key. I suppose my latest post concerning rokkor's QV's Iberian voyage in November could qualify as an overnight trip to Europe since it only involved one time change to get to European time.

I'd be interested to hear how the time changes are being done on QM2's world voyage which is currently traveling east and thus the clocks are being moved forward during an extended voyage other than a crossing.

Edit: Sorry, I was entering this reply while you posted your previous reply and didn't see it until now.

Edited by bluemarble

23 hours ago, Bell Boy said:

Anyone else wishing to comment, on their 'Recent' time changes , excluding overnight trips to Europe .

I suppose it depends on your definition of recent:classic_biggrin:

We have had the clocks put forward mid-afternoon on one eastbound trip.

And I have heard of one captain who used to do it all in one fell swoop. Can't remember the details but it wasn't during the night. Either upon boarding, ie. you wound your watch forward five hours as you walked up the gangway, or I suspect, as the lines were let go.

And another time our clocks were changed three times in one night, forward, backwards and forwards again! Talk about loosing track of the time.

Colin.