Deluxe Oceanview with Veranda, or Edge stateroom with Infinite Veranda?

FireEMT978

I've just been put into Cabin# 9110 on an upcoming Edge cruise.

I am curious if anybody else can say that they have sailed in this type of cabin, and what the thoughts were?

Also, I have read all of the "critics" of the IV staterooms. I am curious, of the opinions between the 2 types of cabins.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I was in 8110.  I loved having the curtain, and the sliding glass door. I didn’t like the small size of the balcony.  I didn’t mind the circular opening and the window washing equipment. While I will never sail on any Edge class ship again, I liked the stateroom.

9BFB2483-5737-4948-8CB8-618DFFFAC2CD.jpeg

069EEA60-C6F8-4D86-B1B6-BDAB368D9A66.jpeg

Edited by cruisestitch

30 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

I was in 8110.  I loved having the curtain, and the sliding glass door. I didn’t like the small size of the balcony.  I didn’t mind the circular opening and the window washing equipment. While I will never sail on any Edge class ship again, I liked the stateroom.

9BFB2483-5737-4948-8CB8-618DFFFAC2CD.jpeg

069EEA60-C6F8-4D86-B1B6-BDAB368D9A66.jpeg

Thanks much.

• 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, ancientart said:

Question for either of you—does that window in the large porthole open (or does the top half lower)?  Thanks. I’m just curious if it’s sealed or open to fresh air?  Thanks a bunch!

From my understanding, It "lowers" exactly the same as an Infinite Veranda. It is just the circular opening though. But, the cabin and veranda specs are identical, at "Cabin 202 square ft. and Veranda 42 square foot.

That is not correct -- it is not like the infinite verandah.  

The glass does not go up and down -- the top half of it is always open, just like a regular verandah.  

To get fresh air in the cabin, you open the sliding glass doors.

Inf Veranda was fine for us... It made the cabin slightly larger..We turned the chairs inward  to use as a sitting area.

Never closed the balc doors..too tight and cumbersome. Opened the window for air and view but was humid so we did not want it open very much.  Bed by Veranda was tight but manageable and made cloet access easy.

I would take take over a small  hull  balcony...Seems like  you give up extra space to sit outside in a tight area..it's personal preference.

4 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

That is not correct -- it is not like the infinite verandah.  

The glass does not go up and down -- the top half of it is always open, just like a regular verandah.  

To get fresh air in the cabin, you open the sliding glass doors.

My bad. I was misinformed.

On 1/24/2019 at 7:37 PM, FireEMT978 said:

I've just been put into Cabin# 9110 on an upcoming Edge cruise.

I am curious if anybody else can say that they have sailed in this type of cabin, and what the thoughts were?

Also, I have read all of the "critics" of the IV staterooms. I am curious, of the opinions between the 2 types of cabins.

Thanks for your thoughts.

i like the porthole balconies.

it's basically a combination of ov and balcony.

so i view it as 1 step up from ov.

i hate infinite verandas.  it's not a balcony in my mind.

i view it as 1 step down from balcony yet you're paying balcony prices.

take the porthole balcony!

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and answers to my question. We've done a little more research and decided to change our cruise from the Edge to a balcony on the Solstice in June. I do plan to try this ship sometime, but after reading these comments, coupled with others online about the Edge, we're going to do a more traditional ship instead. Perhaps the sentiment by Cruisestitch seems to be rather common (about not sailing on an Edge ship) among seasoned cruisers. Since we've been on twenty+ cruises, I'd rather set us up for success (since this is our first time on Celebrity). So, going with our gut. Thanks again all for the replies. 

48 minutes ago, ancientart said:

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and answers to my question. We've done a little more research and decided to change our cruise from the Edge to a balcony on the Solstice in June. I do plan to try this ship sometime, but after reading these comments, coupled with others online about the Edge, we're going to do a more traditional ship instead. Perhaps the sentiment by Cruisestitch seems to be rather common (about not sailing on an Edge ship) among seasoned cruisers. Since we've been on twenty+ cruises, I'd rather set us up for success (since this is our first time on Celebrity). So, going with our gut. Thanks again all for the replies. 

For the first time on Celebrity you probably made a good choice. Though the itineraries differ.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ancientart said:

Good decision IMO.   I had an infinite veranda on the EDGE and it did not WOW me.  Missed a traditional balcony.  I'm back on the M and S class ships at least for the next couple of years. 

Edited by ecslady

11 hours ago, ancientart said:

Adding my personal opinion after having sailed both the Edge in an infinite verandah and having cruised on several Solstice class ships......you have made a good choice!   Enjoy your cruise 😊

We originally booked an infinite balcony on the edge.  We were fortunate enough to upgrade on board to a sky suite.  The infinite balcony was not great.  We entered it- it was a small cabin, no coffee table in living area, hence no place for room service.  The "balcony" was tiny  just a small round table- not suitable for a meal.  The balcony had a window that opened but the AC in the cabin would close if the balcony window was open.  It was really an oceanview with a window that opened IMO.

Very disappointing.  I would go for a cove balcony like pictured above or a aft cabin with a true balcony.  I must say IMO the sky suite was worth it.  Great suite deck access.  Own pool and hot tub, with very comfortable seating- a private bar and you can order a light lunch on the suite deck if you want it.  No Michael's club, but they did have a suite lounge that was sunny with lots of seating.  We are again booked on the edge, as the suite experience was wonderful.  We also love the solstice class ships and will be on one very soon.  

Edited by Cruise a holic

On 3/7/2019 at 7:50 AM, ancientart said:

Good decision on booking the Solstice. I was in an infinite veranda on my Edge Jan sailing. It really cast a pall on my vacation as I prefer a traditional balcony and the IV was more like an ocean view with a window that opens and closes with AC turning off when window is opened. In the past have been on M class and S class Celebrity ships. Will not book Edge again. Am sailing this summer on Summit. Enjoy your cruise.