Transfers from Anchorage to Seward

Seafan22

I have a future trip planned where I will be flying into Anchorage, and sailing out of Seward.  I would be flying in from the east coast, and I see that the bus ride is 5-hours from Anchorage, and have kids so I am thinking of breaking up the trip.  If I fly in the day before and stay at an airport hotel, is there a way to hook up with the bus the next day (the day of the cruise)?  

Has anyone done this?  How did it work?

Thanks

We took the train from Seward to Anchorage, privately (meaning, not through any cruise line).

It's a short taxi ride from the train station in Anchorage to wherever you are going (or coming from).

And we paid a bit extra for the "Gold" car (I think that was the name).  It was a double decker (dinner was served below), with huge observation windows and also part of the "roof" section.  There was also an outdoor area.

It was an amazing trip.  The train stopped twice for photo ops.  Very comfortable, and beautiful scenery.

I don't know if the better train cars are available through the cruise lines.

GC

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

We took the train�from Seward to Anchorage,�privately (meaning, not through any cruise line).

It's a short taxi ride from the train station in Anchorage to wherever you are going (or coming from).

And we paid a bit extra for the "Gold" car (I think that was the name).� It was a double decker (dinner was served below), with huge observation windows and also part of the "roof" section.� There was also an outdoor area.

It was an amazing trip.� The train stopped twice for photo ops.� Very comfortable, and beautiful scenery.

I don't know if the better train cars are available through the cruise lines.

GC

I have also taken the train, and it’s a great way to get to Seward from Anchorage. I didn’t splurge for the Gold Car, but the regular car was very comfortable and the scenery was spectacular on the way to Seward.  It left fairly early in the morning, but by the time we got to Seward the ship was open for check-in, and we were able to board right away.  I highly recommend the train.  For prices and booking, just Google Anchorage to Seward train.

LINK to the Alaska Railroad website schedule and fares:

https://www.alaskarailroad.com/

Browse the site and be awed by what you see and will experience.

The Coastal Classic Train is the service from Anchorage to Seward.

https://www.alaskarailroad.com/ride-a-train/schedules

This train leaves Anchorage daily during cruise season at 6:45 AM and arrives Seward at 11:05 AM
While it is an early riser (sun has been up for few hours earlier) the trains arrives prime time to check-in
and board your ship and if you like a few hours to browse around Seward.

The fares are REGULAR SEASON pricing and VALUE season:
REGULAR SEASON PRICING (June 1 - August 31, 2019)
Anchorage to Seward
Adventure class (coach) $110/55 adult/child - Gold Star $218/128 (B)

VALUE SEASON PRICING (May 11 - 31 and September 1 - 16, 2019)
Anchorage to Seward  Adventure class $98/49 adult/child - Gold Star $194/114 (B)

In the Adventure class meals and beverages are available for purchase
In the Gold Star a (B) Breakfast is included and soft drinks - alcohol extra fare

After viewing the Alaska Railroad website - consider taking the full enchilada from Anchorage to Fairbanks.

A 12 hour trip through even more unbelievable awesome incredible pristine wilderness crossing the Artic-Pacific

ocean continental divide and a chance to see Mount Denali out in all its glory -

"It is what you came to Alaska for didn't you" ?

I have done the Fairbanks Anchorage trip twice and saw the mountain once and I have done the former train

trip to the cruise port of Whittier twice - looking forward this year to the Seward port train trip and cruise on the

NCL Jewel.

All the traveling best to you - - - !

it's only 125 miles from Anchorage to Seward; a bus transfer typically takes about 3 hrs.

If your bus trip is 5 hrs,  it must be one of the tours that makes a couple of stops such as the Wildlife Conservation Center.  

This company is well reviewed on the Alaska forum and offers a direct transfer OR a longer tour with stops:

https://alaskacruisetransfer.com/schedule/

I've never taken the train but have read that it offers nice views.  Do a search on youtube for 'Alaska Railroad to Seward' and you'll find lots of video. 

I've driven that route about a dozen times in a rental car or RV.  It's a nice drive with lots to see and do along the way. I like the flexibility of a rental vehicle; I can stop for wildlife sightings and other places of interest along the way.  However since you're only going one-way the drop off fee will be high and the only vendor in Seward is HERTZ.  Perhaps price the cost of each option for your family ... train, bus, narrated transfer, rental car. And think about which option would work best for your family.

They’re right; take the train! It’s beautiful, there’s more legroom, you get to see scenery not viewable from the highway, and your kids can walk around and even play games at a table. The train station is downtown, so if you arrived early enough, you could stay at a hotel downtown and walk around and have dinner. I recommend. The Hilton is actually walking distance from the train station. Really, you could probably even walk from some of the other hotels; it’d just be longer.