hubbard glacier

salabc

I think the small boat excursion would be awesome, but it IS pricey, and you still get a great experience from the cruise ship. 

Some of my pictures from the ship one year:  https://www.melindabrasher.com/2011/07/hubbard-glacier-alaska.html

And another year, when he had to ice-break for ourselves and a little boat who was waiting for us:  https://cruisingalaskaonabudget.wordpress.com/2017/09/06/ice-breaking-for-our-friends/  

18 hours ago, Italy52 said:

Is this your cruise date?  If so, did you reserve the excursion?  If reserved, look at your reserved excursions and see if it is still there as "reserved."  Curious to know.

no we did not reserved yet

we are just looking to the various possibility

When you get within 10 miles you see the glacier, when you get to within 1/2 miles you see the glacier closer.

We have completed many Alaska cruises this century, which included both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier. We were fortunate to experience some of the glaciers on the bridge and the distance was approx 1/2 mile, at best. You get a close up view, out on deck you don't feel the temperature difference, I recall from the 70's.

in the 70's, in Glacier Bay, I recall getting within 1/4 mile, every week. I will never forget the oppressive cold on the glacier bridge wing and heat on the opposite bridge wing.

On all cruises, as a passenger, I have never got close enough on the ship to experience the same temperature difference, My DW has never experienced this, so if a small boat tour is offered, we will be the first to sign up, so she can have the same experience.  

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 10:19 AM, Sunny AZ Girl said:

We are booked on the Adventure Bound trip from Juneau on May 19 (Cruise begins May 13).  Looking forward to it!  Our cruise is also scheduled to go to both Hubbard Glacier and Endicott Arm, so hopefully we will get some good glacier experiences.

To me there is no such thing as too much glaciers :)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DougH said:

To me there is no such thing as too much glaciers 🙂

I went to Alaska in 2010 with my DD and we were in awe of the glaciers.  I didn't expect them to be so majestic, even though I had seen pictures.  This time I have convinced my DH to go with me (he prefers warm weather cruises, so he stayed home last time).  He keeps referring to the glaciers as "big ice cubes".  Hopefully, he will be as impressed as I was when he is actually up close and personal with a real glacier!

We are fortunate on this one time 11 night cruise to have two glacier days on the ship (Hubbard and Endicott Arm), plus a small boat excursion out of Juneau to Tracy Arm on Adventure Bound.  I was able to convince him to go with me because of the ship (Ovation).  Hopefully, someday he will want to return because of the majesty of Alaska!

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/31/2019 at 10:26 AM, Unibok said:

Silversea is also offering that Hubbard excursion this May -- and I've signed up for it. I'll let you know how it goes!

which tour is this on SS?  we are traveling in August and i don't see it there.  thanks!

Well we reconsidered and book the excursion.

Our TA, said in her opinion it would be worth it to get up close.

Hoping those that take it before us report back on pros/cons, as we figured we can always cancel if the reports and not good

1 hour ago, Pushka said:

Is closeness to Hubbard dependent on month? We are hope to experience Hubbard Bay in late May this year. 

Sometimes it hasn't been accessible for the first half of the season. Other times, extremely accessible in May. One year I went, it wasn't accessible all year. 

It is different every year and impossible to predict.

• Thanks 1

I just signed up for this excursion through Celebrity.  We sail 31 May, and it sounds like a combination shore and sea trip, getting as close to the glaciers as possible.  I do hope it is a go.  Someone in another forum said it was well worth the trip! 3 hours, suspect its just like boarding a water taxi in ports that you don't dock in!  Any reviews from those that have done it are welcome!!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Happiest Sailor said:

I just signed up for this excursion through Celebrity.  We sail 31 May, and it sounds like a combination shore and sea trip, getting as close to the glaciers as possible.  I do hope it is a go.  Someone in another forum said it was well worth the trip! 3 hours, suspect its just like boarding a water taxi in ports that you don't dock in!  Any reviews from those that have done it are welcome!!

The excursion that we are talking about is a new one for 2019.  Although people did book in 2018, the trips were cancelled by the vendor.  As mentioned above, I contacted the vendor and was told that the excursion is a "go" for 2019.  Keeping fingers crossed that nothing changes at the last minute.

• Like 1

Italy52:  Thats great to hear, I booked it, as it sounds like a great opportunity! I am sure that they need to sell enough seats to make it worth the effort.  It is confusing the way they post it, and need to do a better job highlighting the excursion to spark interest.  We booked all other excursions through private companies.  Still looking for one in Juneau.  Thinking whale watching, any suggestions/ideas?  Thanks! 

3 hours ago, Happiest Sailor said:

Italy52:  Thats great to hear, I booked it, as it sounds like a great opportunity! I am sure that they need to sell enough seats to make it worth the effort.  It is confusing the way they post it, and need to do a better job highlighting the excursion to spark interest.  We booked all other excursions through private companies.  Still looking for one in Juneau.  Thinking whale watching, any suggestions/ideas?  Thanks! 

Many of us will be anxiously awaiting comments on this particular excursion.  I plan to post my thoughts when we return.  However, we will be cruising in Alaska for 3 weeks so I won't be able to provide feedback until we return home July 8th.

As for a whale watching vendor in Juneau, we have gone with Jayleen's Alaska 4 times and will be going again another two trips in June. Here is Jayleen's website for your review --- also check out her reviews on TripAdvisor as they are very favorable.  We have also gone with Harv and Marv in Juneau and had a good time as well.  Good luck with your planning.

https://jayleensalaska.com/

Italy52:  dang, I mixed up my ports!  We fly to the ice cap to see a dog camp and do additional glacier landings in Juneau!  It's Icy Straight where we need to secure something!  I know whales are abundant in Icy Straight as well.  I liked the company you recommended, it looked perfect!  Any suggestions for Icy Straight?  Sorry to be a pain.  Best/Bob&Kathleen

2 hours ago, Happiest Sailor said:

Italy52:  dang, I mixed up my ports!  We fly to the ice cap to see a dog camp and do additional glacier landings in Juneau!  It's Icy Straight where we need to secure something!  I know whales are abundant in Icy Straight as well.  I liked the company you recommended, it looked perfect!  Any suggestions for Icy Straight?  Sorry to be a pain.  Best/Bob&Kathleen

Bob & Kathleen:  For Icy Strait, we like Glacier Wind Charters.  We have gone out with them a total of 7 times and have never been disappointed.  Lots of reviews on TripAdvisor (including mine) if you want to check them out.  Here is their website information:

https://www.g-wind.com/.

Glacier Wind is run by Shawn and Teresa --- great people and great customer service.  Sadly, we will be missing Icy Strait this year.  However, will be returning next year so we are happy about that. 

Karen

On 3/6/2019 at 9:53 AM, Italy52 said:

Bob & Kathleen:  For Icy Strait, we like Glacier Wind Charters.  We have gone out with them a total of 7 times and have never been disappointed.  Lots of reviews on TripAdvisor (including mine) if you want to check them out.  Here is their website information:

Glacier Wind is run by Shawn and Teresa --- great people and great customer service.  Sadly, we will be missing Icy Strait this year.  However, will be returning next year so we are happy about that. 

Karen

On 3/6/2019 at 9:53 AM, Italy52 said:

Karen

Karen, Contacted Shawn, what a nice fella!  Very informative easy going!  I booked, should be great to be on a small craft vs one packed on like sardines!  Again many thanks for the tip!  Happy sailing .. Bob & Kathleen

Edited by Happiest Sailor

On 2/27/2019 at 9:41 AM, GolfMommy17 said:

which tour is this on SS?  we are traveling in August and i don't see it there.  thanks!

Hi GolfMommy17, sorry it took me a while to get back to you on this one! Here is the listing from the SS website. At the very bottom, it says it will only be offered on 3 voyages: the first three of the season. I'm not sure why, but I'll report back when I learn more.

I'll be on 6911, which leaves Seward on May 27th. The downside is that we are too early for very much bear action; the upside is that we'll be there for prime whale watching. Since you are sailing in August, I'll be able to report back on your other question as well, about good viewing spots on glacier days.

79 days to go for us! Can't wait!

==============================

Kayak Hubbard Glacier
Code: C24-SE-002

Hubbard Glacier is fed by an ice field that extends 122km inland. This is one of the few glaciers on earth that isn't retreating, in fact, it's actually advancing. 

Your adventure begins with an on-board equipment and safety orientation by your guides. You'll then depart from the ship by Zodiac, and embark your kayak in a sheltered location. 

Once in the kayaks, you will slowly and gently paddle your way around the coast of Disenchantment Bay. You will continue deeper into the fjord passing ice that has calved from the glacier front. These ice pieces can vary greatly in size, from tiny fragments to blocks the size of multistory buildings. With safety our number one priority, your expert guides will lead you as close as safely possible to within a few hundred yards of the glacier, where you may hear cracks and moans due to the extreme pressure. If you're really lucky, you may even witness a carving.

Keep your eyes peeled for marine life such as seals and sea otters. A number of species of seabirds are known to frequent this area. You may even see the majestic Bald Eagle.

Please note: This tour is recommended only for guests in good physical condition and requires up to 90-minutes of paddling. Although no walking is required, guests must be able to climb into the transfer zodiac and to lift their own weight to transfer from the zodiac into the kayak. This tour is not suitable for guests with limited mobility or those who utilise a wheelchair, and for guests who suffer from bodily injuries which prevents the movement of all joints. Tour is conducted in 2-person kayaks, in groups of up to 6 kayaks. Lifejacket, dry suit, Neoprene booties, gloves, spray skirt and dry bags are provided. Maximum available dry suit size is XXL. We suggest you wear warm, comfortable, flexible clothing to wear under the dry suit. Wear long-sleeved thermal layers, a warm hat with a brim, sunglasses, propylene, wool, silk or synthetic clothing (not cotton as it has poor heat retention when it is damp or wet). The minimum age to participate is 16 years. Under 18 must be accompanied by an adult. Total combined weight of a two person kayak cannot exceed 650lbs (300kg). Guests must be able to speak conversational English in order to understand safety instructions. Some prior kayaking experience is required to participate in this activity. Binoculars, cameras and UV protection are recommended. We strongly suggest to book well in advance as space is very limited. This kayak tour is operated and guided by a team of guides/naturalists who will be sailing with you onboard the Silver Muse and is available exclusively on voyages 6911, 6912 and 6913.

Re-reading this thread, I realize it was about the small boat tour and not the kayak tour. Here, then, is the description for that one from the SS site. These seem to be offered only early in the season, as part of the "Enhanced Whale Watching" sailings, and it looks like the onboard naturalists will be helping to guide both the zodiaks and the kayaks. 

Hubbard Glacier Zodiac Cruise
Code: C24-SE-001

All tours are operated by expert drivers/guides on our stable and incredibly reliable MK6 zodiacs. With a maximum of only 12 guests per boat, there is plenty of room for everyone to view wildlife and other features of interest from all angles.

Hubbard Glacier is fed by an ice field that extends 122km inland. This is one of the few glaciers on earth that isn't retreating, in fact, it's actually advancing. 

Upon boarding the zodiacs, your professional guide/driver will take you on a gentle cruise around Disenchantment Bay. You will continue deeper into the fjord passing ice that has calved from the glacier front. These ice pieces can vary greatly in size, from tiny fragments to blocks the size of multistory buildings. With safety our number one priority, your expert driver will lead you as close as safely possible to within a few hundred yards of the glacier, where you may hear cracks and groans due to the extreme pressure. If you're really lucky, you may even witness a carving.

Keep your eyes peeled for marine life such as seals and sea otters. A number of species of seabirds are known to frequent this area. You may even see the majestic Bald Eagle. 

Please note: Although no walking is required, guests must be able to manoeuvre in and out of the zodiac which involves a high step. Ocean ride involves fast acceleration and the ride might be bumpy. This tour is not suitable for guests with limited mobility, back/neck/hip problems, those who are pregnant or suffer from motion sickness or guests who utilise a wheelchair. Participants must be a minimum of 6 years of age. Children under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult. Lifejackets are provided. Child lifejackets are available. Dress in thermal layers, wear waterproof pants and jacket and sturdy comfortable shoes. You may be splashed. Space is limited. Guests must book well in advance to avoid disappointment. Bring your camera and binocular. It is recommended to have electronic equipment sealed in waterproof bags, in case of rain or spray. This zodiac tour is operated and guided by a team of guides/naturalists who will be sailing with you onboard the Silver Muse and is available exclusively on voyages 6911, 6912 and 6913.

30 minutes ago, Unibok said:

Hi GolfMommy17, sorry it took me a while to get back to you on this one! Here is the listing from the SS website. At the very bottom, it says it will only be offered on 3 voyages: the first three of the season. I'm not sure why, but I'll report back when I learn more.

I'll be on 6911, which leaves Seward on May 27th. The downside is that we are too early for very much bear action; the upside is that we'll be there for prime whale watching. Since you are sailing in August, I'll be able to report back on your other question as well, about good viewing spots on glacier days.

79 days to go for us! Can't wait!

Thank you for this and the below information.  I hope you enjoy the trip - maybe it's a 'test' and they will open it up after the trial period.  I'll keep watching for it.

6 hours ago, Happiest Sailor said:

Karen, Contacted Shawn, what a nice fella!  Very informative easy going!  I booked, should be great to be on a small craft vs one packed on like sardines!  Again many thanks for the tip!  Happy sailing .. Bob & Kathleen

Bob & Kathleen, glad to hear that you were able to book with Glacier Wind.  Yes, Shawn is a nice man and his wife, Teresa is very nice as well.  Both Shawn and Teresa are very special to us --- they feel like family.  Please tell them that Karen & Claudio say "HI." 

I hope you have a wonderful trip. 

Karen