Holiday Inn Old Sydney

Just wanted to let fellow cruisers know that we had our reservation booked here through booking.com and our flight was delayed from La to Sydney making us arrive a day later and after many attempts to reach out to them from booking.com and myself they refused a refund or credit of any type.  I totally realize that I booked a non-refundable room but at some point unforeseen circumstances such as this could be considered in my opinion. So please learn from my mistake and book refundable room.  

Edited by wacamaw

1 hour ago, wacamaw said:

Just wanted to let fellow cruisers know that we had our reservation booked here through booking.com and our flight was delayed from La to Sydney making us arrive a day later and after many attempts to reach out to them from booking.com and myself they refused a refund or credit of any type.  I totally realize that I booked a non-refundable room but at some point unforeseen circumstances such as this could be considered in my opinion. So please learn from my mistake and book refundable room.  

i

non refundable booking means just that, unless there was a clause stating delayed flights excepted.  As suggested above try your insurance, That why you take it out before travel.

Maybe if OP had made a general observation about not booking non refundable things without insurance I’d have some sympathy.

wonder f the delay had caused the to miss their cruise if they would expect a refund from the cruise line?

I don't think they were looking for sympathy so much as giving us all a little reminder to take care with tour bookings. Lately, when I've been searching booking sites, I'll note their prices then contact the hotel directly. I almost always get a better price and, at the same time, verify their cancellation policy.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, wacamaw said:

Actually, a refundable booking would not have helped as 24 hours cancellation notice is still required.  OP would have had to email booking.com from the departure airport to avoid that.  "Unforeseen circumstances" are the risks of booking non refundable rooms.

As an aside, there was a post very recently from an American who was considering flying into Sydney on the day of boarding.  Everyone urged him to arrive 2-3 days early, not even jyst one day. This post shows exactly why.

24 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I don't think they were looking for sympathy so much as giving us all a little reminder to take care with tour bookings. Lately, when I've been searching booking sites, I'll note their prices then contact the hotel directly. I almost always get a better price and, at the same time, verify their cancellation policy.

Many hotels will at least give you a discount of the commission they pay the booking site, just ask

3 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Many hotels will at least give you a discount of the commission they pay the booking site, just ask

For example, for precruise in April , I booked the Sydney Harbour Marriott direct on their site - seniors rate for $220.   Booking.Com want $260.  $40 is $40, buys an evening feed at a local pub or at City Extra - Circular Quay.

• Like 1

While this is not really on the topic, things just seem to be getting a little harder all the time. I recently went on line to get Travel Insurance from my usual Travel Insurance company for a cruise departing in November only to be told that as I am now over 75 cover is not available until 120 days before departure. So much for having your deposit covered. 

13 hours ago, joybook said:

While this is not really on the topic, things just seem to be getting a little harder all the time. I recently went on line to get Travel Insurance from my usual Travel Insurance company for a cruise departing in November only to be told that as I am now over 75 cover is not available until 120 days before departure. So much for having your deposit covered. 

Throw in a truck load of pre existing conditions and drs that say you should stay in the country and you are real limited.

14 hours ago, joybook said:

Yes it is tough to get travel insurance for us dinos.  Credit card insurers don't want a bar of us.  And once 70 with pre existing and you mention USA, the insurance is nearly as much as the cruise.