Affordable flights from Wash D.C to Venice

gatlinburg

On a serious note, TAP Portuguese airline usually offers very reasonable fares across the Atlantic and even will allow up to a five day stopover in Lisbon. They have announced that they will be flying their new 330neo from IAD which means I’d you can spring for biz, you will get a really great seat...and if their pricing holds at about half the price most airlines charge for biz. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

On a serious note, TAP Portuguese airline usually offers very reasonable fares across the Atlantic and even will allow up to a five day stopover in Lisbon. They have announced that they will be flying their new 330neo from IAD which means I’d you can spring for biz, you will get a really great seat...and if their pricing holds at about half the price most airlines charge for biz. 

I have had a couple of mediocre short haul and long haul TAP experiences, but the hard product on the neo J class...looks nice. And Portugal is a fantastic (and cheap) stopover. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, fbgd said:

One of my favourite spoof websites was one for Sky High Airlines ("We've Got Our Heads In the Clouds"). When you would price up an itinerary it would cut to an animation of chicken feed being thrown into a calculator and the chicken's "pecks" dictating the fare, which would be completely and utterly random.

It was one of many hilarious tidbits of "airline" humour on that website. Sadly it was taken down a few years back...

Ask and you shall receive.  A blast from the past:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpSVz4FTaNg

and also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ngknx7Wag80

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WdMB5Rdi-M

• Like 2

You’re my internet hero de jour! I’d never seen any of those videos before! Now I want canasta, cats and spooning with my non-felon Sky High screened family on my next business trip!

I didn’t realize they were a complete ripoff of AS’s ads though! 

• Like 1

Actually, they were created by AS.  Their ad agency created SkyHigh as a way to say "and Alaska is different".  AS maintained the SkyHigh website for a few years after the ad campaign ended.  But you can still see parts of it through the Internet Wayback machine.

https://web.archive.org/web/20041001000000*/www.skyhighairlines.com

• Like 1

17 hours ago, fbgd said:

One of my favourite spoof websites was one for Sky High Airlines ("We've Got Our Heads In the Clouds"). When you would price up an itinerary it would cut to an animation of chicken feed being thrown into a calculator and the chicken's "pecks" dictating the fare, which would be completely and utterly random.

It was one of many hilarious tidbits of "airline" humour on that website. Sadly it was taken down a few years back...

• Haha 1

The waiting game on booking flights is difficult. In April we flew from VA to Marseille on Air France and Delta. Great service all around, but prices are not nearly as good right now.  What are some of your favorite Airlines to use out of Washington DC, Charlotte, Baltimore, and Raleigh to Milan, Rome, or Venice?  We will be shopping around for the next six months at least since our next MSC Cruise to Eastern Mediterranean is not until June 2020 out of Venice.  Sure do appreciate all your feedback so far.  I am taking notes and consider all your advise. Happy Cruising everyone.

FE838B38-08FA-4805-87B4-19959F552B1C.jpeg

1 hour ago, gatlinburg said:

The waiting game on booking flights is difficult. In April we flew from VA to Marseille on Air France and Delta. Great service all around, but prices are not nearly as good right now.  What are some of your favorite Airlines to use out of Washington DC, Charlotte, Baltimore, and Raleigh to Milan, Rome, or Venice?  We will be shopping around for the next six months at least since our next MSC Cruise to Eastern Mediterranean is not until June 2020 out of Venice.  Sure do appreciate all your feedback so far.  I am taking notes and consider all your advise. Happy Cruising everyone.

I'm confused by your statement that "prices are not nearly as good right now."  If your trip isn't until June 2020, you can't see prices yet, so I'm not sure what you're looking at to compare to what you paid for flights last April.

Anyhow, if you're set on eliminating Delta/AirFrance/KLM based on price, you have either American or United, or you can look at European airlines.  If you're looking for nonstops only, you'll be limited to those two or possibly Alitalia. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, waterbug123 said:

I'm confused by your statement that "prices are not nearly as good right now."  If your trip isn't until June 2020, you can't see prices yet, so I'm not sure what you're looking at to compare to what you paid for flights last April.

Anyhow, if you're set on eliminating Delta/AirFrance/KLM based on price, you have either American or United, or you can look at European airlines.  If you're looking for nonstops only, you'll be limited to those two or possibly Alitalia. 

Meg, sorry to be confusing.  Just commenting that flights this year overall are much higher than when we flew last April.

Know we still can't price June 2020 flights, but checking trends, etc ahead of time usually ensures we know what to expect.

We're kind of poor, and have to do all the research we can, and appreciate all the advise given.  Thanks again.  Appreciate you taking time to help out.  

2 hours ago, gatlinburg said:

Just commenting that flights this year overall are much higher than when we flew last April.

It's actually quite hard to reach such a view reliably unless you're sure that you're comparing like with like. Amongst other factors, fares can vary by month, day and time of travel; by month, day and time of booking; and by interval between booking and travel. In addition, even if you compare the same travel date booked at the same booking date, there can be expected variations because of other factors like the date of Easter. So you're trying to compare one small set of personal observations about one year against one small set of personal observations about another year when you're looking at what is in truth a six- or eight-dimensional space. Even Obi Wan Kenobi would have had a hard time doing that and reaching any reliable view, so we mere mortals probably shouldn't try.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Globaliser said:

Thanks for your help~ :-)

It's actually quite hard to reach such a view reliably unless you're sure that you're comparing like with like. Amongst other factors, fares can vary by month, day and time of travel; by month, day and time of booking; and by interval between booking and travel. In addition, even if you compare the same travel date booked at the same booking date, there can be expected variations because of other factors like the date of Easter. So you're trying to compare one small set of personal observations about one year against one small set of personal observations about another year when you're looking at what is in truth a six- or eight-dimensional space. Even Obi Wan Kenobi would have had a hard time doing that and reaching any reliable view, so we mere mortals probably shouldn't try.