Take 6 promotion worth it?

AlabamaRN

5 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

You can't get the $150 from Celebrity unless you recently got off another Celebrity cruise but anyone can get a Platinum Amex card and get another $200 OBC (you have to book with certain TAs) and that's on top of anything a TA may offer you.

Annual Membership Fee

$550

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lionkingrichard said:

Annual Membership Fee

$550

Correct. But there's lots of perks, with this being one of them. There's also $200 per year in free Uber rides. Free lounge access at airports. They reimburse up to $200 in airline fees (baggage etc). Gold status with Marriott and Hilton. If you travel it's definitely worth every penny.

26 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I booked this one through the Big Box agent., rhymes with Bostco. ..they are sending me a gift card post cruise...still not at final payment, so I am still exploring options...

Whenis your sailing date and what cabin category?

Honestly, figure out what is important to you. The internet is good if, a  it's enough minutes for you. People doiung work on board may need extra internet. Also beverage package, gratuities are added that you pay when booking. That adds up to about $308 for the week. for 2 people. Also the shore excursions are $50 off per cabin per port. Were you planning on going on an excursion at each port? For myself and my husband it works. We used  get the 6 bottle wine package because we enjoy it at dinner. It works so it doesn't limit our choices.

4 hours ago, DaCruiseBug said:

Correct. But there's lots of perks, with this being one of them. There's also $200 per year in free Uber rides. Free lounge access at airports. They reimburse up to $200 in airline fees (baggage etc). Gold status with Marriott and Hilton. If you travel it's definitely worth every penny.

I've had my account number stolen from Amex 4x within a 2 yr period. They would then send me a new replacement card that was identical to my previous, with the exception of the last 4 numbers. Guess how long until that number was stolen again.... Their security is horrendous too, I was able to use my old card verification number with the new card. Switched to CapitalOne and I've had zero problems and gotten way more back in rewards than I ever did with Amex. Oh, and the annual fee is only $90. To each their own, just like opinions on "free" perks.

We are booked on Mediterranean from Barcelona in September. The Take 6 is a great deal. Sailaway Balcony is $1961pp (taxes and service charges included). We are taking all perks except extra guest, insurance, transfers and we prepay service charges. So including reduced airfare $2366pp. With the Sailaway at a minimum we have to add airfare and transfers.

The reduced airfare makes the trip affordable. This will be our first time with UBP, SDP and Wifi so it makes the trip also a treat. I don't usually buy insurance but for this overseas trip we are and I'm fine to stick with the NCL offer.

Not trying to talk anyone into a cruise line.  I’ve only taken one Celebrity cruise.  I paid $1k more for a balcony cabin than I ever did for an NCL balcony because I had “believed” Celebrity was a higher end experience.  It wasn’t., but that is a different post.  

You do have to dig in the numbers a little deeper to get a apple to apple comparison.

I’ve received as much as $1,100 in OBC on NCL (Haven cabin, which made it about the same price as a balcony on a Superior Balcony Cabin on RCCL at the time).  BTW...that included $300 OBC from AMEX.

I’m looking at an Escape Balcony Cabin on Escape at the end of this month.  AMEX is offering $200 OBC and my TA is offering $150 OBC.  NCL is offering $50 OBC for being Platinum.  $400 OBC.

Ovwe the last 3 cruises I’ve taken on NC, I’ve received $800 in OBC.  In addition, I get into Delta Crown Rooms anywhere in the wrorld ($795/yr).  If I’m not flying Delta, I get access into  AMEX’s Centuron Lounges.  I get $200/yr airline credit to spend on luggage fees, on board drinks and food, etc.  $180/yr in Uber credits are given, too.  

Then again, annual Platinum fee runs around $500.  Is it worth it?  For me, who cruises and travels a lot, absolutely.

On 2/5/2019 at 9:36 PM, thetaro said:

I would just book sail away and upgrade through bidding. There is no FREE lunch and you pay for it one way or another.

You pay much more over sail away and you end up paying the same price or even more with the free offers they throw at you.

I can almost always book flight cheaper myself and have better options and connections.

"Free Air" for our booking was actually quoted as $999 although it's far too early to know (sailing Feb 2020) We actually booked with offered options (no air) selected & prepay tips and it came to a total of around $6500 for a deck 5 OV (14dys, NCL Star).

Tried booking OV sailaway ,effectively a GTY, so no perks, but  I did prepay tips, and we're now looking at around $3500 and they assigned an acceptable cabin right away 🙂

Big difference, keeping both resv for now.

I wish NCL's air bookings worked like Royal's or Celebrity which is online so you can look at options yourself.

Edited by pspercy

Definitely worth it for me. My husband and I got a family balcony room, unlimited bev package (which we definitely take advantage of), the specialty dining package with 3 nights of dining (usually worth it for the seafood and best cuts of steak), unlimited Wi-Fi (a perk I've never had before but I'm addicted to the internet so it'll be nice to stay connected) and no-charge airfare from Detroit to NYC. We're all in for $3k (minus the $250 we saved by using CruiseNext certificates, so really net was $2750).

Usually, $3k is what we spend on a regular 7-day balcony cruise with drink package and *maybe* specialty dining and paying for airfare on our own.

It really just depends on your comfort level with the final price, whether you'll use the perks enough to make up for the extra gratuity you'll be charged, and if flights are cheaper through NCL than the historic normal from your town to the port.