CDC report - Edge:90 - lowest of any Celebrity ship!

twodjs

9 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

There were a lot of deficiencies, but many were repeats of deficiencies that affect two or more areas of the inspection protocol, so are listed twice or more.  As I said, the only way to know how seriously the inspectors felt the deficiencies were is to see the corrective action report, which will give the point deductions for each deficiency.  The score is made when all deficiencies are grouped by section of the inspection protocol (food safety, potable water, pools, etc), and each area has a maximum point deduction (2-5 points), and the inspectors will "scale" the points deducted from an area based on the number and severity of the deficiencies in that area.  In other words, something like the wine storage, which is in a 3 point area (working off my memory), could be scaled to a 1 point, or even 0 points if they don't feel it is serious enough.

Since this was a passing score, there won't be another inspection for most likely 6 months.  They try to do every ship twice a year (which is why I say the ship "knows" when an inspection is likely), but scheduling and federal budget sometimes gets in the way of doing twice yearly.

I will be on this ship March 31st, you can bet I will be asking about this and an accounting of the corrections they made as a result!!!

1 hour ago, vtcruising said:

Oh yes, I proudly did my part to help bring their inventory down to a manageable level...😉

And I’m sure the crew appreciated your efforts to unblock their corridors😉 While reading your reviews, I remember being quite envious of a couple of your gorgeous cocktails😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, miched said:

We were sailing on X when the Edge was being built and many of the crew members were temporarily leaving to compete and interview as employees on the Edge.   We were told that the best of the best would be chosen.

If the management is the best on the Edge than the rest of the fleet must be in really bad shape.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

They became sidetracked and biased in the selection process.  Not just employees, but selected shop owners and designers.

19 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

This report is a condemnation of corporate management and senior shipboard management.  It will be interesting to see the corrective action report, which is where you can see how the various deficiencies were actually scored.

100% Agree.  Corporate management can be changed, and we have more say than we think we do by voting with our dollars. 

Too many people are interpreting Edge and Revolution updates as:

Good News = Good News, incredible updates to our benefit!

Bad News = Good News, just temporary teething issues, plus the young people will love it.

No News = Good News, smart way for X to save money, plus we like those old designs.

19 hours ago, johhnnyt said:

Not an excuse but its not like it failed, and it it happens on every cruise line. It happens, i noticed the inspection was performed 12/9 after they had just completed those five 2 and 3 day cruises. I'm sure after doing them the crew had to be exhausted doing embark and debark almost continuously for two weeks

Yes that might be true but there is a mandate for safety and cleanliness above all else and the crew knows that and management knows that.  There were people at risk on those short cruises based upon this inspection result.  I am hoping that a number of these issues were addressed prior to our recent Edge sailing on Jan 20th.  Certainly they should be mostly addressed by now.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

Yes that might be true but there is a mandate for safety and cleanliness above all else and the crew knows that and management knows that.  There were people at risk on those short cruises based upon this inspection result.  I am hoping that a number of these issues were addressed prior to our recent Edge sailing on Jan 20th.  Certainly they should be mostly addressed by now.  

There was very little risk to passenger health involved in any of the deficiencies noted, or the score would have reflected that, generally dropping to a failing score, and if there was an imminent threat to passenger health, the inspectors could have kept the ship from sailing.  If you want to see an inspection report where the passenger's health was truly in danger, read the Silver Shadow inspection from a couple years ago, where the inspectors took the unprecedented step of destroying food with bleach immediately.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

There was very little risk to passenger health involved in any of the deficiencies noted, or the score would have reflected that, generally dropping to a failing score, and if there was an imminent threat to passenger health, the inspectors could have kept the ship from sailing.  If you want to see an inspection report where the passenger's health was truly in danger, read the Silver Shadow inspection from a couple years ago, where the inspectors took the unprecedented step of destroying food with bleach immediately.

Is that the time they tried to hide a bunch of trolleys full of food  in some crew cabins thinking they could avoid the inspectors?

• Haha 1

On 2/12/2019 at 7:13 AM, cruisestitch said:

Also, we need to keep in mind that the crew members all had served on other ships and should have been very familiar with the requirements -- it's hard to understand how they could have gotten so many things so wrong.

Having sailed on numerous Celebrity ships I can tell you that the officers and upper crew members may have "served" on other ships but the regular crew and staff were not well versed on how Celebrity operates.  They tried their best and after reading this report, it is very clear they were not the "top of the crew lists" for this ship.  Sailing on Silhouette right after Edge we found that the best crews were on the older ships by far.  They were offered Edge and refused.  They were happy to have done so because the crews on Edge talk and they are also not happy.  Bottom line is that this ship was rushed out, big fanfare and is now not doing well at all.  Yes, many will love the concept but those of us who know what to expect from the true Celebrity brand have seen the light and for us, no more Edge for us!  Too pricey, way out of sight for us.  Yes we are old but not only us "older people" sailed Celebrity all these years.  Hopefully the power that is will wake up and make corrections to the next ships being built,  Still miss the beauty of the Meyer Werft class ships.

1 hour ago, PatC said:

They tried their best and after reading this report, it is very clear they were not the "top of the crew lists" for this ship. 

And yet, many reviewers, regardless of their opinions about the ship, the venues, or the activities, heartily praised the crew. It takes only a few kitchen/bar design oversights, and a few untrained or unmotivated crew members to create such deficiencies. I have noticed that a crew is happier - quite naturally- when the passengers are happy. It sounds as though the Edge crew has had to cope with the vast chasm between Celebrity management’s visions and the disparate expectations of their passengers (while learning a new ship class). That can’t have been easy. Having not yet sailed her, I’m not ready to deem Edge or her crew a failure. That said, I’m hopeful that most of these inspection issues will be resolved long before I board Edge in April😉

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Silkroad said:

And yet, many reviewers, regardless of their opinions about the ship, the venues, or the activities, heartily praised the crew. It takes only a few kitchen/bar design oversights, and a few untrained or unmotivated crew members to create such deficiencies. I have noticed that a crew is happier - quite naturally- when the passengers are happy. It sounds as though the Edge crew has had to cope with the vast chasm between Celebrity management’s visions and the disparate expectations of their passengers (while learning a new ship class). That can’t have been easy. Having not yet sailed her, I’m not ready to deem Edge or her crew a failure. That said, I’m hopeful that most of these inspection issues will be resolved long before I board Edge in April😉

Agree with you here.  On our Edge cruise the crew and the service overall was exceptional.  I did not notice much unhappiness among the crew members.  They seemed top notch to me!

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Agree with you here.  On our Edge cruise the crew and the service overall was exceptional.  I did not notice much unhappiness among the crew members.  They seemed top notch to me!

And so many were familiar faces from years ago. When we remarked on the high level of service, one manager said that many Edge crew members have 10-15 years and more of experience with Celebrity. I told him that I had heard that some crew did not want to move to the Edge and he said that some don't like to open a new ship because it is stressful to learn a whole new ship, deal with glitches and deal with guests' high expectations and complaints when things aren't perfect. The ones that did move over were asked because they were excellent at what they do and the ones who accepted were willing to deal with all the extra stressors thrown at them. We did have a few newbies, but they were good people with good attitudes. My experience was seeing many of the crew having a lot of genuine pride in this ship. They would go on and on about different aspects of the ship and tell me what I needed to see and do. I got a kick out of their enthusiasm. Overall, we both felt that it was the best crew we have ever had on a cruise.

I'm sure these first few months have been very stressful, and of course they may mention that they are unhappy to buddies on other ships because of the glitches and guest complaints (just as crew members on other ships sometimes confide that they are unhappy). I would hope things will settle out over time on the Edge.

I'm not sure who is to blame for the low score, but imagine it was a great learning experience, new procedures were put in place and the Edge will likely score high next time. 🙂

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 1