Horizon Boarding Time

CheckersMidwest

I checked in this morning (along with lots of people on our roll call group) and the earliest was 12:30.  Why so much later than other cruises? Does it just take longer to get all the passengers disembarked?! I do have Faster To The Fun so plan to arrive between 10:30-11:00 like usual and hope to board sooner. I may end up waiting to check in but that's ok. (We're usually onboard before noon so not even checking in until later is new to us!)

Maybe it has to do with the port from which you are leaving. It is my understanding that some ports have different times, but I may be incorrect about that (someone please correct me if I am wrong).

Sorry about your late check in time. That is a bummer. Hope you have a great cruise!

45 minutes ago, CheckersMidwest said:

I checked in this morning (along with lots of people on our roll call group) and the earliest was 12:30.  Why so much later than other cruises? Does it just take longer to get all the passengers disembarked?! I do have Faster To The Fun so plan to arrive between 10:30-11:00 like usual and hope to board sooner. I may end up waiting to check in but that's ok. (We're usually onboard before noon so not even checking in until later is new to us!)

When's are you cruising on horizon?

We were on her at Christmas. Same arrival time as you, but FTTF and a family suite. We got there around 10:30 and were on the ship at 11:40. They had sent out an email for everyone to delay arrival times an hour. When chatting folks at the port, it seems like it takes a while to get 4,000+ people off the ship and clear it for new arrivals. Miami is also a very busy port. But it was all super smooth for us. 

3 hours ago, CheckersMidwest said:

We are on the 3/23/19 sailing for the Horizon.   I did our check in the day it became available.   We also had an earliest check in time of 12:30pm showing.

This is a premier cruise for us, and my daughter and I are turning platinum this cruise, so we could show up whenever we want.  But I hate crowds and lines, so we will be going about 1:30 or so anyway.    We get a late check out from our hotel, so we have a lounging morning and a great breakfast (staying at Embassy Suites), then head over.   We fly through the lines and walk right on.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bingomamma19 said:

We are on the 3/23/19 sailing for the Horizon.   I did our check in the day it became available.   We also had an earliest check in time of 12:30 pm showing.

This is a premier cruise for us, and my daughter and I are turning platinum this cruise, so we could show up whenever we want.  But I hate crowds and lines, so we will be going about 1:30 or so anyway.    We get a late check out from our hotel, so we have a lounging morning and a great breakfast (staying at Embassy Suites), then head over.   We fly through the lines and walk right on.

My boarding  time is between 12:30-1:30pm, However since I am  Diamond I can board  when I get to the port if the ship is cleared to board.

Edited by shipbound2

If you are referring to why the earliest time a lot available to choose is 12:30, it’s probably

because there will be many Diamonds and Platinums onboard. Combine them with Suites and FTTF, and it would get very crowded if they also opened up 11:30 to everyone else. 

Also, just as an FYI, the time you choose is a check in time, not a boarding time. There’s never a guarantee as to what time you will board. I’ve been on several cruises where, even with FTTF and getting to port at about 10:30, we didn’t board until after 12:30 due to a delay. 

I checked in online the morning that it was open for us.  Our cruise is on the Horizon this coming Saturday.  We are Platinum for this cruise and I was surprised that even on the first day of being able to check in, the only time slot showing was 12:30-1:00.  I'm guessing that it's the first slot and that they just automatically assign that slot to P/D's.

Okay so.  Why all the worryworting over check in time?  :classic_unsure:

If you arrive at the terminal early, you have to fight for parking (as not everyone is off the ship) if parking at port.  Find a porter to take you luggage, which they may not be accepting yet and porters are assisting people leaving.   Wait in a line out side until they let you inside.  Once through the security, wait in line to check in for the cruise.  If not Diamond, Platinum, or FTTF, wait in a chair in a crowded waiting room until boarding zone is call.

Carnival institutes these terminal arrival time to do several things.  Clear our the ship and terminal from prior passengers, Not jam both the early check and security and then the check in counter with mobs of people.  Staggered times make it easier for everybody.

Finally, you can't get to your stateroom until 1:30 P (D,P, F excluded).  And they will NOT run out of food on the LIdo deck or drinks at the bars if you don't get there until 2P.

Many hotels and off site parking facilities don't send shuttle to ships until after 11AM.  Just bringing people back and turning around for the next group. 

So relax.. enjoy your morning if staying locally,:classic_sleep: You're on vacation, not rushing to work. :classic_biggrin:

We had a 1:30-2:30 boarding time in January on the Horizon.  It was our first Carnival cruise.  We checked out of our hotel at 10:30 and we were picked up by an Uber driver at  10:45.  We arrived to the ship around 11:00 and figured we would read while waiting for our time to board.  Showed our paperwork and went through security and sat down.  15-20 minutes later we were called to board.  The screen goes through different boarding zones and ours came up and on we went.  Easiest boarding we ever had.  We were on the ship before noon.  

Crewsweeper : You said it - I'm on vacation. We treat the boarding day as the first day of our vacation. Like a sea day. Being dropped off at port so no parking needed. We usually arrive 10:30-11:00 , fly through check in. I hadn't seen 12:30 as the earliest option before so thought maybe it was something special with the Horizon. We do have FTTF so like to drop off our luggage as soon as we board and then wander the ship before it fills up with people. Take pictures, grab some lunch somewhere, unpack quickly because our bags are already there and then sitting somewhere on the deck relaxing while everyone else is just now getting onboard.

21 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

Okay so.  Why all the worryworting over check in time?  :classic_unsure:  Because the earlier you check in, the earlier you can board the ship;

Carnival institutes these terminal arrival time to do several things.  Clear our the ship and terminal from prior passengers, Not jam both the early check and security and then the check in counter with mobs of people.  Staggered times make it easier for everybody.  Staggered check in time is not what the people are talking about so much as why does it start so late at POM.

Many hotels and off site parking facilities don't send shuttle to ships until after 11AM.  Just bringing people back and turning around for the next group.  But they still can't get in the terminal until 12:30 unless there is an early/late check in line at POM which some ports don't have.

So relax.. enjoy your morning if staying locally,:classic_sleep: You're on vacation, not rushing to work. :classic_biggrin:

I look at it like when you go to an amusement park.  You pay $X for your tickets.  Park opens at 9 AM.  Do you wait until noon to go into the park or go in at 9 and get your money's worth.  

For a lot of people, their cruise doesn't start until they board the ship.  They may be on vacation once they leave their home town but their cruise doesn't start until the board the ship.  It's personal choice.  Not much different that telling someone not to get the internet package and just enjoy their vacation.  Some people own businesses and have to keep track of what's going on.  

• Like 1