Best MDR Table Size for Solos

MsSoCalCruiser

Recently took my first solo cruise to New Zealand.  I'd booked anytime, table 8.

On my first night, when I got to the front to the line (7.45pm) the Matre De ask me how many in my party, and I had to admit 1.  I could see the shock on his face, so I quickly added "find me a table with nice people please".  It turned out to be 8 seat table with only 7 and the empty seat was next to me.  The following night he remembered me and again, table of 8, with the empty seat next to me.  Upon leaving the dining room that night, I had a chat / joke on the way out and asked the Matre de not to leave the seat next to me empty and I didn't care who sat there.  Night three - he had somehow waved his magic wand, and found a similar aged, solo guy.  We got along like a house on fire.  His table mates came over to asked why he wasn't with them that night?  I didn't want to admit it was due to me. LOL.

As I left that night, I hugged the Matre de and gave him a big thank you.  From then on, the tables some how merged, half of my regulars and half of the other Solos regulars.

Dinners turned out to be a highlight of my cruise, as well as being able to do your own thing all day, everyday!.

Edited by Jodieg
Spelling error
  • Like 2

When I first started reading this thread, I already had my mind made up the I would want to sit at a larger table because I like to socialize and tell stories. This is in no way, shape or form a complaint but too much time is spent with my (our) face buried in a phone, or a tablet or even a book for that matter. Social skills have deteriorated to a very low place, in my opinion. 

However, as I read the posts, I have changed my mind, somewhat, to where a table for two would be appropriate. That would bother me that I had to eat at the pace of someone else or tolerate the political, or religious, or other unsolvable viewpoints of the inconsiderate. Not to mention that in a group of any size there is, sometimes, a bad apple. My fear would be that I was that bad apple. 

So I suppose I’m at the mercy of the Maître d to seat me appropriately. 

Glenn

On 2/21/2019 at 11:24 AM, TracieABD said:

Us Cackilacky Girls have to stick together!

I love traveling alone... It is so easy- and a bit indulgent, even a tinge selfish.

I typically book in TD in the MDR- This lets the waitstaff get to me a bit.

Hi TracieABD. Agree wholeheartedly......it’s selfish, indulgent, and altogether delicious. 

And yep, us GRITS from N.C. should always keep the sisterhood alive! 

To me, it would depend on the week of the cruise.  If you booked a table for 6, and it was during 'Spring Break' you may get a family of 4 or 5, and you would feel 'odd man out' of their circle.   If you booked a table for 8 during Spring break, count on a family of 4 a party of 2, and you and an empty chair.  Not Spring Break week?  Less chance of families with school age kids.  What is important to me is to be by a window when dining.  If you can  look at the layout of the dining room, the tables by the windows  are for 4 and 6.  Usually the tables for 8 are in the center of the dining room.  Table for 2 ?  Booked along the back side of a wall (note - no window view), or in a row of 6 tables of 2 with barely enough room for me to squeeze past the other tables so I don't sit with my back towards the main dining area.  I would go for a table of 6. Another consideration is time zone.  What time zone are you sailing in compared to yours?  For example if you are from the East Coast sailing in Alaska thats a 4 hour time zone difference (6pm ship time is actually 10pm your time, and i'm hungry - now).   If its your same time zone (or just an hour difference) I would pick a table of 6 and late dining.  Why late dining?  I enjoy not feeling rushed for the turn-around of the next guests and enjoy my dessert and coffee.   Also i feel with a table for 6 there's enough conversation to float around the table so its not just centered on you, or one other person.  As always, if you just don't feel good at the assigned table, glance around the room - take note of the empty chairs, and request a change.  (Also keep in mind on a 7 day cruise, I am usually in the MDR only 3 or perhaps 4 nights).   This works for me, and its only offered as additional info for your consideration.  (Not many people take time zone into the equation). 

On 2/21/2019 at 6:22 AM, flamomo said:

Personal preference, but I ask for a table for 6, because it's much easier to carry on conversations with dinner-mates, due to the usual ambient noise of a crowded dining room. At a table for 8, which is a bit larger , I find I usually only chat with the persons on either side of me, because there is often difficulty hearing people farther away.

I often cruise solo, mostly on Princess.  I also ask for a table for 6 for exactly the above reasons.  With tables for 8, I can't hear those on the other side of the table so I just talk with those on either side of me.  But with tables for 6, I find them much more interesting.  It doesn't matter when I travel or how many time zones I have crossed, I have met some great people at tables for 6.  Rarely are the tables just one family of 4.  Only once do I remember sitting at a table with four others where the conversation was not about politics but about everything that Princess does wrong.  I was glad I had Anytime Dining so that I would never sit with those people again!

Almost 30 Princess cruises. Years of anytime dining sharing table with others. Then we evolved to TD at large tables, sometimes with friends. Recently we sailed on an NCL ship where we requested a table for two almost every night and found that worked best for us. We have some upcoming Princess cruises and have requested TD table for two. I hope it works, but a little fearful that the table for two will be bench seating with people on either side of us. It's not hard to avoid talking to people if it is just one time, but the same people next to us every night - I don't know. 

As I read through this thread I admit to feeling a bit depressed about where this is headed...

I've sailed solo for many years and I have very much enjoyed sitting with others and talking to them at dinner. I am not a huge extrovert, but I enjoy having company at dinner, especially if I am sailing alone and have spent much of the day doing more solitary things. 

I have never felt people are unnecessarily curious about my traveling solo -- there are so many doing that now. A quick sentence or two from me and that's all that's needed. (Perhaps some are a bit TOO sensitive on this issue?) . And also, what is wrong with sharing a table with others who are couples?  I am not looking to find a new friend or someone to hang out with, I just want company and pleasant conversation with others who might share my love and enjoyment of travel for an evening or two over dinner.

I feel that with so many people now opting for a table for two or for one (and also with so many different venues to eat in), it is becoming more difficult to have the same kind of dining experience that I have enjoyed.

I hope people will continue to opt to share tables and meet others! I get my fill of sitting alone and reading a book while dining in my everyday life.

P.S.  Conversational skills require practice. The more you do it, the easier it becomes. (I'm not trying to convince those who are truly socially phobic, but if you are on the fence, considering at least trying to share a table with others.....)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

As I read through this thread I admit to feeling a bit depressed about where this is headed...

I've sailed solo for many years and I have very much enjoyed sitting with others and talking to them at dinner. I am not a huge extrovert, but I enjoy having company at dinner, especially if I am sailing alone and have spent much of the day doing more solitary things. 

I have never felt people are unnecessarily curious about my traveling solo -- there are so many doing that now. A quick sentence or two from me and that's all that's needed. (Perhaps some are a bit TOO sensitive on this issue?) . And also, what is wrong with sharing a table with others who are couples?  I am not looking to find a new friend or someone to hang out with, I just want company and pleasant conversation with others who might share my love and enjoyment of travel for an evening or two over dinner.

I feel that with so many people now opting for a table for two or for one (and also with so many different venues to eat in), it is becoming more difficult to have the same kind of dining experience that I have enjoyed.

I also travel solo and have never asked for a table for 2 or by myself. 

I always share a table and have met some amazing individuals. I also have not been asked awkward questions about traveling solo. 

Ditto what cruisemom and Coral said. 

I was once assigned a table for two alone, which was okay as I never go anywhere without my Kindle and it was only a 5-day cruise anyway, but generally I want to enjoy dinner with a group -- and why would I care if the group includes couples?  If their marriage is so delicate that the thought of talking to a single person is uncomfortable, then they might want to stay home with the drapes drawn. 

It's nice to have that connection where you see the same faces and can share your stories of the day with one another (why I prefer TD, since Anytime is just a Groundhog Day of first-night Q&A).   I'm introverting all day; I can be a social butterfly for a 1.5 hour dinner without causing myself psychic harm. 

And the only person who ever quizzed me about traveling solo was one pushy immigration official in LA, who kept demanding to know who paid for my cruise.   As I didn't want to end up like Philip Nolan, regrettably I had to be polite to the little titmouse.  So many good comebacks left unsnarked . . .

Perhaps someone has posted this already,but there is something to note about some of the tables for two.

Many of them are located along a long wall with bench seating on one side and a chair opposite. The tables are placed with a little bit of room between them. This can make conversation with people at the other tables possible.

So,it has the effect of sitting with others at dinner without the constraints of waiting for table mates to arrive and place their dinner order.

If a person is not interested in chatting during dinner, a polite greeting but then not perusing the conversation should let others know that the diner (s) prefer a quiet dinner.