Suggestions for making a flight more comfortable

jajsmom

While I would love to fly business/first class, the cost is more than the cost for our cruise and airfare combined for our next cruise (even using EZ Air.)  We have a 9 hour flight to Rome, and a 12 hour return flight from Athens, which I am dreading due to severe discomfort.  At home, I use a gel seat in my car, and padding on all of my chairs.  On our most recent 4 hour flight, we had bulkhead seats which I was able to stand during a portion of our flight.  But that is not practical for our long and overnight flights.

So I'm sure I'm not the only one who experiences discomfort sitting for long periods of time.  Any recommendations for things to make the flight more comfortable?  I always pre-medicate with ibuprofen for long trips.  Thanks for any suggestions.

When I have to ride cattle class, this is what I have:

From Magellan's catalog/website: the "Business Class Inflatable Footrest" and the "Luxe Inflatable Neck Pillow".  

For my LONG trip to/from the US to Amman, I brought my Thermarest Women's Pro Lite air mattress. Yes, an air mattress.  It's self-inflating, weighs about a pound, rolls up very small, about an inch thick and is contoured (not one of those big rectangles).  I put it on the seat and I get extra padding on the seat and back.   

I bring the biggest bottle of water I can buy at the airport, sometimes 2 of them.   I buy some trail mix type of stuff at Trader Joes (or Whole Foods) to munch on.   I don't rely on the Flight Attendants to have water ready for me when I want it...

You don't have to go for business or first class to increase your comfort. More and more airlines are adding a true premium economy cabin. A little extra width, some more recline, and up to 9 inches additional legroom. The price is typically much closer to economy than business class.

If you can't justify that then most airlines will allow you to pay to assign extra legroom seats for a small supplement. 

Avoid EZAir/CruiseAir style products to keep things are straightforward and transparent as possible.

I use Thermarest self inflating large seat pads when I am in economy; also have a lumbar pillow.

EZ Air has reasonably priced flights if comfort, space, or leg elevation is important . We use points on the US to Europe flight for Business class seats so that there is no middleman between us and the airlines. 

Edited by Alaskanb

I fly cattle for business regularly. 

Yes see if you can buy up to Economy plus (if flying United).  Delta has a similar product.

Aisle seat for me is best.  Allows me to stretch without waking up neighbors.

If you want to sleep a pair of noise reduction ear buds works great to drown out the cabin noise

Slidergirl is right -- bring water.  Nothing worse than airplane dehydration.   Most airline service is so bad nowadays the FA's give you a small bottle of water and disappear for the rest of the flight.

I have some business class socks i bring and reuse.  Nice to have your shoes off..

I also agree about the self-inflating seat pillows.  You never know what kind of seat cushion you're going to get.  I used to have a lumbar pillow, but found that it didn't work so well with ariplane seats because of their curvature.  It ended up pushing against my lower back too much.  If you get one, use it in different types of chairs and seats for find the correct inflation for you.

I use an inflatable footrest, also.

I have not flown without noise-cancelling headphones in 20 years.  They eliminate a LOT of stress from flying.  It's amazing how much more relaxed your body is listening to your "comfort sounds/music" than the airplane white noise, or chattering people.  

I also dowlnoad a few movies to my tablet to distract me from any discomfort.  Distraction goes a long way on a plane.  I think boredom adds to stiff muscles.

Agree about the water, too.

Take a soft sleep mask.  Amazing how you will relax with sensory deprivation:  no noise, no sights.

Edited by pcur

1 hour ago, PaulMCO said:

Yes see if you can buy up to Economy plus (if flying United).  Delta has a similar product.

Do be careful about what you're buying, though.

fbgd was referring to premium economy.

United's Economy Plus and Delta's corresponding product are not premium economy (although both airlines are now introducing premium economy).

• Like 1

Try for a 2 seat row. If not possible, take a seat towards the back of the plane and if traveling with someone else reserve the window seat and aisle seat. Best chance possible to have an empty middle seat. Obviously a lot of flights go out full. But on average most long haul flights are going out around 80-85% full. The last seats to be taken by passenger or the computer picking random seats are middle seats towards the back of the plane. If someone is there, they would likely be happy to take the aisle or window seat instead of the middle seat. 

I usually bring some comfortable lose fitting clothes to change into. 

Water and drink lots of water. 

Good headphones 

Shoes always come off on overnight flights. 

And then if it is overnight, I take some Benadryl that helps me get to sleep but won't keep me asleep. I have used it a bit so I know how I react to it. Never take any supplement/medication for the first time on an airplane though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Globaliser said:

Do be careful about what you're buying, though.

fbgd was referring to premium economy.

United's Economy Plus and Delta's corresponding product are not premium economy (although both airlines are now introducing premium economy).

Yes there is a difference.  But the upgrade cost from Economy to a E+ seat is very little  compared to the extra cost of going to a full Premium Economy seat.  You do get the benefit of extra legroom which eases the leg cramps.

28 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

But the upgrade cost from Economy to a E+ seat is very little  compared to the extra cost of going to a full Premium Economy seat.  You do get the benefit of extra legroom which eases the leg cramps.

The OP will have to make a decision about whether their problems will be eased with just a little bit of extra legroom, or whether they could actually do with a different and better seat. If they want the latter, then they will have to be careful that they are actually picking premium economy.

In particular, I was originally struck by this sentence:-

4 hours ago, jajsmom said:

At home, I use a gel seat in my car, and padding on all of my chairs.

• Like 1

Wow, thank you for all of these great suggestions!!!  I didn't know if I'd even be allowed to bring my seat cushion onto a flight, with all of the crazy airline regulations.  And now I've learned about inflatables--I knew nothing about this before, and I'm going to look into these.

Our flights (the only direct flight for us) only have business class and economy seating.  We flew RT to Copenhagen last year on Delta, and enjoyed the economy plus section of the plane.  the extra cost was definitely worth it, but for these flights, it an extra $4000 pp to upgrade to business, and I'd rather go on an extra cruise or two for that.

My problem is that my bones don't have enough padding (a good problem,) and my bones dig into the hard seats and create intense pain.  Leg room is great, but if we're flying in the clouds, I want to feel like I am sitting on one.

Again, great suggestions.  I will be doing some shopping.

14 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

Slidergirl is right -- bring water.  Nothing worse than airplane dehydration.   Most airline service is so bad nowadays the FA's give you a small bottle of water and disappear for the rest of the flight.

I don't know what airline you usually fly for transatlantic flights, but I've never flown across the pond and had an FA bring a bottle of water and then disappear for the rest of the flight.  For those long haul flights they will typically do a beverage service, then a dinner service.  A hour or two before landing they will do a beverage and breakfast service.  In between they usually come around at least one other time with water.   They may not do another full beverage service in between since most pax will be trying to sleep on those overnight flights, but you can always use the call button or better, walk to the galley.  That actually kills two birds with one stone, as you get to stretch your legs while walking back to get some water or whatever.  I still like to bring a bottle of water with me onboard, but the availability of water onboard isn't quite as bleak as one might think after reading your comment.

11 hours ago, jajsmom said:

Wow, thank you for all of these great suggestions!!!  I didn't know if I'd even be allowed to bring my seat cushion onto a flight, with all of the crazy airline regulations.  And now I've learned about inflatables--I knew nothing about this before, and I'm going to look into these.

We flew RT to Copenhagen last year on Delta, and enjoyed the economy plus section of the plane.  the extra cost was definitely worth it, but for these flights, it an extra $4000 pp to upgrade to business, and I'd rather go on an extra cruise or two for that.

Be careful if you try to bring your gel seat...it may not get through the "no liquids/gels" security screening.  But certainly check out some inflatable ones!

You mention having flown Comfort+, but then say you can't afford to fly business class on this trip.  But did you look at purchasing Comfort+, or the equivalent on whatever airline you're flying this time?   It is likely much less than business class.

7 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

I don't know what airline you usually fly for transatlantic flights, but I've never flown across the pond and had an FA bring a bottle of water and then disappear for the rest of the flight.  For those long haul flights they will typically do a beverage service, then a dinner service.  A hour or two before landing they will do a beverage and breakfast service.  In between they usually come around at least one other time with water.   They may not do another full beverage service in between since most pax will be trying to sleep on those overnight flights, but you can always use the call button or better, walk to the galley.  That actually kills two birds with one stone, as you get to stretch your legs while walking back to get some water or whatever.  I still like to bring a bottle of water with me onboard, but the availability of water onboard isn't quite as bleak as one might think after reading your comment.

Be careful if you try to bring your gel seat...it may not get through the "no liquids/gels" security screening.  But certainly check out some inflatable ones!

You mention having flown Comfort+, but then say you can't afford to fly business class on this trip.  But did you look at purchasing Comfort+, or the equivalent on whatever airline you're flying this time?   It is likely much less than business class.

American - DFW-LHR/LHR-LAX.  The FAs never passed through the cabin with water outside of meal service.  I went back to ask for some water (an stretch my legs - crammed into a seat both ways with IFE boxes that took up underseat space) and was looked at like I was asking for a custom cocktail.  

Usually, I fly Delta.  The FAs there have been pretty good about coming through occasionally with water.  But, when I want my water, I want my water, as much as I want, not in a tiny bottle or glass.   And, if I end up not on an aisle, I prefer to not disturb the other(s) in my row to get up and get that water.   Most of my time, I'll fly Delta/Alitalia/Air France in Business, where I encounter no issues.  

On 2/23/2019 at 5:28 AM, waterbug123 said:

You certainly do not fly United.  Even the non revenue passengers (ie. FA's) traveling bring big bottles of water.

LH -- big difference.  Come through regularly - at least twice, between Dinner and breakfast service on a TransAtlantic.

What is worse, is that UA does this even in Business.  Only difference -- the bottle they give you is bigger 🙂

Edited by PaulMCO

I think the merger integration issues are hitting American now (employee job satisfaction is reportedly quite low) like they have for United-Contenental and Delta-Northwest in years past and the employees are more likely to end up coming across as indifferent to customer needs than they previously had been. 

Thanks Alaskanb, I have placed the seat cushion in my cart.

Any recommendations on the inflatable footrests?  I thinks that's a great idea too, but not sure how much height to get on them.

And just to reiterate, we'd be happy to pay the extra for premium economy/economy+, but unfortunately, none of the flights within a several hour drive of where we live has these available.  The routes for our dates seem to be only business/economy flights, and the difference in prices between these is ridiculous.

26 minutes ago, jajsmom said:

And just to reiterate, we'd be happy to pay the extra for premium economy/economy+, but unfortunately, none of the flights within a several hour drive of where we live has these available.

This doesn't sound right. From Philadelphia alone, you have a choice at least between British Airways and Lufthansa, both of which have true premium economy. And I think that even if you were to use a US airline, most of them have some form of extra legroom economy on most flights. If, for example, you were to restrict yourself to non-stops to Rome and back from Athens, you'd have to fly AA but there should be Main Cabin Extra on both routes.

23 hours ago, Globaliser said:

This doesn't sound right. From Philadelphia alone, you have a choice at least between British Airways and Lufthansa, both of which have true premium economy. And I think that even if you were to use a US airline, most of them have some form of extra legroom economy on most flights. If, for example, you were to restrict yourself to non-stops to Rome and back from Athens, you'd have to fly AA but there should be Main Cabin Extra on both routes.

We are flying from Philadelphia on AA, but there are no Main Cabin Extra seats on our flights.  We really prefer non-stops, so AA is the way to go.  We looked into flying out of JFK too, but the only non-stops are on Delta, and they only have economy plus seats to Rome, but not back from Athens.  You would think that living near one of the top 5 largest cities in the US we would be able to fly most places non-stop.  But each year, the choices get fewer and fewer.  And AA did not have a non-stop flight returning from Athens to JFK.

I'm happy to just be flying non-stop both ways.  I'm looking to make the flights more comfortable.  My seat cushion should be arriving today.  Still looking into the inflatable footrest...

On 2/24/2019 at 11:00 AM, jajsmom said:

Any recommendations on the inflatable footrests?  I thinks that's a great idea too, but not sure how much height to get on them.

I have never used one but sometimes put my feet on my backpack or a pillow.  I just don't see how they fit when there is so little space under the seat in front. 

2 hours ago, jajsmom said:

We are flying from Philadelphia on AA, but there are no Main Cabin Extra seats on our flights.

Do you mean that they have all been taken already? I don't know your travel dates, but picking some random ones suggests that PHL-FCO and PHL-ATH are both operated by A330-300s that have 16 MCE seats - although with such a low number I can see that they might all get snapped up pretty quickly.

On 2/24/2019 at 11:00 AM, jajsmom said:

Thanks Alaskanb, I have placed the seat cushion in my cart.

And just to reiterate, we'd be happy to pay the extra for premium economy/economy+, but unfortunately, none of the flights within a several hour drive of where we live has these available.  The routes for our dates seem to be only business/economy flights, and the difference in prices between these is ridiculous.

A little upthread I wrote which one I had.  From Magellan's website.  The Business Class Inflatable Footrest.  It really is comfy.  I'm 5'8" and that footrest takes the pressure off the back of the knees form the seat.  I can even underinflate a little and use the wobbly room to "pad" with my feet (like a cat). From the website the dimensions are 15" x 12" x  5 ¾" inflated.  And 12" x 5" in the bag. 

I got my seat yesterday, and so far, I like it.  I've read a lot of reviews on the inflatable footrests.  Most people seem to like it when they have short legs, but I have the opposite problem--I'm 5'6" with a 36" inseam!  Slidergirl, I take it you really like yours, as I read reviews of yours on flyer talk from 5 years ago, and you're still recommending the same one.

Globaliser, I looked at seat guru, and for the A330 that we are on, it does say that there are 16 MCE seats, but I could only locate 8 of them, being the bulkhead row behind business class.  We're only a few rows behind that, and I got our seats the day they were released.

16 minutes ago, jajsmom said:

I looked at seat guru, and for the A330 that we are on, it does say that there are 16 MCE seats, but I could only locate 8 of them, being the bulkhead row behind business class

A dummy booking for PHL-FCO suggests that the other 8 are in row 25, immediately behind doors 3 - basically an exit row with "unlimited" legroom.