Question for Copper10-8

MsMolly

Hello. I have a son who is starting to decide the path he will take once he graduates from high school. One of the options he is looking into is nautical sciences. We are cruising on the Nieuw Statendam March 3rd - 10th. I am curious if you know if there is a tour or a way for him to see the bridge during our cruise. If he could talk to the captain that would be even better! Thanks!

1 hour ago, MsMolly said:

Hello. I have a son who is starting to decide the path he will take once he graduates from high school. One of the options he is looking into is nautical sciences. We are cruising on the Nieuw Statendam March 3rd - 10th. I am curious if you know if there is a tour or a way for him to see the bridge during our cruise. If he could talk to the captain that would be even better! Thanks!

Hello Ms Molly and good golly! :classic_wink: My suggestion to you would be to place your request (for your son) in writing and addressed to Nieuw S' captain, Capt. Noel O'Driscoll. Place same in an envelop and, once on board, to go to the Guest Services desk and request them to deliver the envelop to the captain. Good luck to you and to your son in his future endeavors!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Hello Ms Molly and good golly! :classic_wink: My suggestion to you would be to place your request (for your son) in writing and addressed to Nieuw S' captain, Capt. Noel O'Driscoll. Place same in an envelop and, once on board, to go to the Guest Services desk and request them to deliver the envelop to the captain. Good luck to you and to your son in his future endeavors!

Thanks so much for the quick reply. We will definitely  follow your advice! We appreciate your help!!

Are you from the US?  Where do you live?  I would suggest going to one of the state maritime colleges (California, Texas, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Michigan (Great Lakes) or the USMMA at Kings Point, NY.  He can get a good look at maritime training, and discuss shipboard life with students,  and be placed in connection with alumni who can talk about career opportunities in the maritime industry.  While it will be exciting to talk to a cruise ship Captain, and I'm sure Capt. O'Driscoll will give him a good view of life in the cruise industry, know that 95% of the jobs in maritime world are not in the cruise industry. 

• Like 5

14 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Are you from the US?  Where do you live?  I would suggest going to one of the state maritime colleges (California, Texas, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Michigan (Great Lakes) or the USMMA at Kings Point, NY.  He can get a good look at maritime training, and discuss shipboard life with students,  and be placed in connection with alumni who can talk about career opportunities in the maritime industry.  While it will be exciting to talk to a cruise ship Captain, and I'm sure Capt. O'Driscoll will give him a good view of life in the cruise industry, know that 95% of the jobs in maritime world are not in the cruise industry. 

Thanks for your advice. We are actually in Canada. My son has spoken to a university here about this field of study. (this interest came after a university visited his high school to discuss this program) Out of the possible choices he has been talking about, this is the only one we know nothing about!! We have been doing a lot of research, though! We are aware there are many avenues this course of study can lead to for careers...just thought he may benefit and gain some insight speaking with a captain and seeing how things work! 

56 minutes ago, MsMolly said:

Thanks for your advice. We are actually in Canada. My son has spoken to a university here about this field of study. (this interest came after a university visited his high school to discuss this program) Out of the possible choices he has been talking about, this is the only one we know nothing about!! We have been doing a lot of research, though! We are aware there are many avenues this course of study can lead to for careers...just thought he may benefit and gain some insight speaking with a captain and seeing how things work! 

Someone who may also be able to provide insight from a Canadian perspective is CC member Heidi13, who was a Captain of RO/RO and passenger vessels for many years.

2 hours ago, Himself said:

John 

I will be on the Nieuw Statendam tomorrow for a week.  Is O'Driscoll from Irelandand does he have a broug?(An old Country Irish accent?

Capt. O'Driscoll, and another HAL captain by the name of Colm Ryan, assigned to Veendam, are as Irish as you're gonna get, Father 😉 I'm sure you two will relate!

8 hours ago, Himself said:

John 

I will be on the Nieuw Statendam tomorrow for a week.  Is O'Driscoll from Irelandand does he have a broug?(An old Country Irish accent?

When you listen to him on the PA he sounds like a bad impression of a Bing Crosby/Hollywood Irish accent, but it is the PA that does that because person to person he sounds quite normal.  Well he sounds normal to me, boyo, top of the morning to ya etc etc! :classic_biggrin:

On 2/22/2019 at 8:04 PM, MsMolly said:

On the first gala night (normally) there is an event at the Lido pool called 'Officers on deck'.  Most of the senior officers are present and are introduced by the Captain,  Get there early and say hello to the Captain.  There is a photo op!  There is also a 'Meet the Captain' event near the end of the cruise when a 'virtual bridge tour' is shown in the theatre, with Q & A with the Captain :classic_wink:

6 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

When you listen to him on the PA he sounds like a bad impression of a Bing Crosby/Hollywood Irish accent, but it is the PA that does that because person to person he sounds quite normal.  Well he sounds normal to me, boyo, top of the morning to ya etc etc! :classic_biggrin:

4668d7bfea5a45829ad9c890baf2f6f5.jpg?b=t

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Capt. O'Driscoll, and another HAL captain by the name of Colm Ryan, assigned to Veendam, are as Irish as you're gonna get, Father 😉 I'm sure you two will relate!

I am not the Chaplain but I hope to meet him, I have a green hoddie with the seal of the four provinces of Ireland

• Like 1

16 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Will he greet us with Cead Mile Failte?  It would sure be nice.

Slante

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 10:00 AM, VMax1700 said:

Sure don't all the HAL crew and staff great you with 'cead mile failte romhat'

Slainte, Father! 

His brogue is very slight and he is quite pleasant and cheerful.  I have seen him in the LIDO on several occasions.  He does a nice job.