Cabin Recommendation Veendam

Deep68

About to book the 10 day holiday Cuba cruise on Veendam.

Trying to select an oceanview room.

We do not like rooms on the promenade deck so our options are limited to A and Main deck.

Considering G515/516 or G702/707 all at the front of the ship.

The 515/516 rooms look a little smaller than most but are on a floor sandwiched between rooms and 702/707 look larger but are on a lower deck and obviously closer to engines etc.

So really torn here.

Also seen some negative reviews on Veendam later so that was other concern, but this itinerary looks perfect for us for Christmas 

Really would appreciate your thoughts as trying to book today or tomorrow.

702/707 are not closer to the engines, which are aft, but they are closer to anchor chains which would be used at tender ports.  We once had 712 on the Veendam and IIRC we did have some loud mechanical noises below us during the wee hours of the night, and could hear waves against the bow all night. I would choose 515/516.

p.s. - you do realize those are all porthole cabins, right?

Edited by catl331

44 minutes ago, catl331 said:

702/707 are not closer to the engines, which are aft, but they are closer to anchor chains which would be used at tender ports.  We once had 712 on the Veendam and IIRC we did have some loud mechanical noises below us during the wee hours of the night, and could hear waves against the bow all night. I would choose 515/516.

p.s. - you do realize those are all porthole cabins, right?

Thanks for the input. Yes I know they have portholes. Full window was an increase in price and there were not really any great locations available anyway/

38 minutes ago, RD64 said:

A727 - if available - had it Boston to Bermuda - would gladly choose it if available (window cabin).

727 is an F on the decks plans that I see. An A would be a Vista Suite, and a looooong way from a G in price! 

https://www.hollandamerica.com/content/dam/hal/inventory-assets/ships/pdf-files/ve_2.pdf

Edited by catl331

• 1 month later...
On 2/24/2019 at 10:37 PM, sammiedawg said:

Buyer beware on this ship. 

Why? and beware of What?  We just booked this ship for a first cruise on HAL (we've done almost 50 other cruises on various lines so no novice cruisers). I know it's an older and smaller ship, but besides that what are the problems with it?

2 hours ago, 40yearcruiser said:

Why? and beware of What?  We just booked this ship for a first cruise on HAL (we've done almost 50 other cruises on various lines so no novice cruisers). I know it's an older and smaller ship, but besides that what are the problems with it?

I really liked the Veendam except for the always broken aft elevators but they are being replaced during their upcoming drydock.

There are free chicken wings in the Mix Bar at lunch time...yummmm.

On 4/3/2019 at 8:54 PM, 40yearcruiser said:

He/she had issues with a cruise on her and that is the that poster’s standard response. (Perhaps she will include the date of the cruise when she responds. I’m pretty sure she is no longer sailing HAL.)

Veendam did have a number of issues that occurred around 2012 (leaks, the need for a net under the diningroom lights to prevent any from falling, a miserably failed CDC inspection, hitting a crane in BsAs). 

Veendam has a group of warm tubs on her aft that stick up off the deck. She had her traditional aft pool replaced with a wading pool that leaked, then it was replaced with the “tubs”.

I’m one who has had no major problems and loves her and her outdoor spaces. 

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 1

We had 002 on the Navigation deck and boarded in Montreal.  Just wanted to mention it, because we walked across the gangplank, and the elevators were right there, took one up to deck 10, and our room was right there too. 

Easiest embarkation ever!

Long walk to dining though, but it's a small ship.

Due to the design of the Lido Market ceiling/insulation, there was a "sweating issue" from the ceiling tile seams that necessitated a crew member wandering throught the seating area and wiping the water drops forming during midday heat while in the Caribbean.  I didn't notice it happening at any other time of the day.

The Veendam is one of my favorite ships and will be glad to sail on her again.

On 2/24/2019 at 4:58 PM, Deep68 said:

About to book the 10 day holiday Cuba cruise on Veendam.

Trying to select an oceanview room.

We do not like rooms on the promenade deck so our options are limited to A and Main deck.

Considering G515/516 or G702/707 all at the front of the ship.

The 515/516 rooms look a little smaller than most but are on a floor sandwiched between rooms and 702/707 look larger but are on a lower deck and obviously closer to engines etc.

So really torn here.

Also seen some negative reviews on Veendam later so that was other concern, but this itinerary looks perfect for us for Christmas 

Really would appreciate your thoughts as trying to book today or tomorrow.

I just sailed on her last January and she's in very good shape except for the elevators.  Usually only had 2 of 4 forward ones working.  Mid-ship elevators were much better (usually only 1 of 4 were out of commission).  But the ship is in good ship, the crew were great and the food good.  Don't forget she's going into dry dock for a few days soon and hopefully the elevators will be fixed.  I'd booked her again in a flash.

The Veendam's cabin 664 was very quiet. It's in the corridor just aft of the aft elevators. That corridor is a dead end so the only people walking by it are those in the few cabins farther aft. The elevators were convenient to access the main dining room and the Lido buffet. I would take a cabin in that corridor again in a heartbeat. BTW, we thought the Veendam was great, the only downside being the one nonfunctional elevator (pardon the pun) in each bank of elevators. The smaller size of the ship meant we could actually hear people sitting across from us at an 8-person table in MDR. On larger ships I've had a problem hearing anyone across even a 6-person table from me because of the din in the dining room.  

The aft elevators were working back in October. 

One thing to realize w/ those older ships.  We'd sailed on the Serenade of the Seas from Quebec City to Fort Lauderdale.  Everything seemed great in the northern half of the trip, but on the southern half, one of the cocktail waitresses mentioned her air conditioning being broken, and they didn't notice it until it got warmer.  Our room was fine though.