New to NCL

cruiselover48

I am D on RCCL and only sailed on 1 large ship of NCL, so my experience with large ships are somewhat limited.

NCL does not have assigned dining, so dinners are organized  like MyTime Dining on RCCL. You can book specific times.

There is 24/7 venue O'Sheehans which serves free pub style food.

NCL ships offers more per fee restaurants with different cuisine. You can buy a package of 3-4-5-6+ days.

You cannot bring 2 bottles of wine per cabin.. I never tried, but you can bring wine, but with some mandatory fee.

Shows on large NCL ships are organized like on Quantum and Oasis class. You need to book them.

Edited by Tatka

1 hour ago, cruiselover48 said:

Long time RCCL cruiser (D+) will sail first time on Encore next year with DH and Son and DIL. What to expect. What's similar what is so different. Looking forward to it. Thanks for any info in advance

i think cruise lines are like the airlines all pretty similar in a very general type of way, RCCL might be a notch above ncl

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cruiselover48 said:

Long time RCCL cruiser (D+) will sail first time on Encore next year with DH and Son and DIL. What to expect. What's similar what is so different. Looking forward to it. Thanks for any info in advance

The Encore is a "Quantum Class" ship. 

NCL caters to the contemporary cruiser. They embrace Freestyle Cruising. All MDRs are MyTime dining. You show up when you are hungry and when it fits your schedule. You get a 2-top table to your self and eat at your own pace. Aside from the 3 MDRs, they have a 24 hour pub (The Local) which you can get served meals around the clock. 

No Formal Nights. NCL embraces the concept of Dress Up or Not. If you want to get into fancy dress, go for it. If you want to wear shorts and a polo shirt, fine in all dining rooms and all meals except the Le Bistro and Ocean Blue specialty restaurants. NCL enables you to be On Vacation and not dressing up like you were going to work. 

If you get a dining package, YOU get to chose where you eat and can book reservations 120 days in advance of your cruise. 

Similar to a Quantum/Oasis class ship, you need to book the main shows in the Theater along with comedy shows in the comedy club. 

In the past year, we have sailed on the Allure, Anthem, and Symphony on the RCCL side and the Bliss (sister to the Encore), Escape (Near Brother to the Encore), Getaway (1st cousin ton the Encore). We have cruises on the Harmony and the Escape (again) in the next couple of months. While we like the Oasis class ships, we still tend to like NCL, in general, because of the relaxed atmosphere. For use, being a "notch above" is being on vacation while cruising. We are also D-like level on Cunard and do formal night, every night, when we want. 

OP.....Encore looks to be amazing.  

I’ve sailed RCCL’s Allure, Harmony, Anthem.  I’ve sailed NCL’s Epic, Getaway, Breakaway, and will be on the Escape next week.  These are all the latest and greatest mega ships from both cruise lines.

NCL has Freestyle is pretty much down.  I’ve had some mixed experiences with RCCL’s Anytime Dining.  That would not preclude me from sailing them again, though.

Both lines do entertainment very well.  Encore will have the car races and laser tag (last I heard).  RCCL has the ice skating and bumper cars.  Climbing walls, basketball courts, jogging tracks, gym, pools, etc are pretty close on both.  I do like the kind of shows I’ve seen on NCL better with Blue Man Group, Milton Dollar Quartet, Rock of Ages, Etc.  RCCL has the skating show, the aqua show, etc.....good in their own right.

Food is similar in all the venues, including specialty restaurants.

NCL has the “perks” deal going on.  It’s been going on for a while.  For example, you pay for tips, but they include a drink package no charge, there’s a specialty dinner package as a perk, and internet minutes included.

All the ships are beautiful in their own right.  Most of them are the newest ships for each line.  I think the Epic and Allure are the oldest ships in that group.  Still nice ships.  And, you’re going on the latest and greatest.

Have fun.  You’ll enjoy it!  Plus, you’ll have another line you may decide to add to your preferences.

17 hours ago, cruiselover48 said:

We haven't sailed RCI in a few years so my opinion is a little outdated perhaps. For us, NCL has better service, and more dining choices. RCI maybe more activities depending on the ship. One thing and this is going to shock a lot of people on this board: according to our granddaughter and her hubby, RCI does more nickle and diming than NCL. They have sailed both in the past few years. For the most part I think you will find most mass marketed lines about the same. Each with its own personality but similar as well.  

17 hours ago, cruiselover48 said:

I sailed Escape this past July and it was my first NCL cruise in about 10 years after sailing rccl ships almost exclusively over that time. I was constantly comparing the entire cruise and really found it to be quite similar.

Food and service was really about the same. I'd give the edge to rccl with regards to the Broadway style shows in the theater but entertainment everywhere else was pretty much the same except that we absolutely loved Choir of Man and Howl at the Moon (dueling pianos). Those 2 shows had us giving an overall slight edge in entertainment to NCL.

Again, everything was really quite similar between the lines. I just booked a cruise for next January and chose the brand new Encore because right now for the week I'm looking at, NCL is providing me with the most value. I would have had no problem picking rccl but they are giving a little less for the specific time I'm going.

We love to cruise and have had fun on every one of our sailings over the years, regardless of what cruise line we've chosen.

On 2/25/2019 at 8:18 PM, HOSKI said:

On NCL does the main dining rooms take reservations at all or just walk up?

You can make reservations in advance (on the web site).  I always do this even though I know once onboard and looking at daily schedules, things could change.  But at least I have something lined up.  You can also reserve onboard.  Or you can just walk up, but results may vary on the wait time.  We usually mix and match these 3 options in the end.  I would recommend at least trying to make reservations in advance, particularly if you like to dine during popular times (6 - 7:30ish).  Again, you can always make changes once on board.  Maybe that progressive trivia you're playing bumps up against one of your reservations.  Change it!  Or there's a performance that conflicts.  Change it!  But on those days when there is no conflict, it's kinda nice to know you'll be able to walk up and be seated pretty promptly.

On 2/25/2019 at 11:41 AM, cruiselover48 said:

I think you're getting the message that the two are very similar.  Frankly, I often have to stop and think about which line we sailed on for which cruise.  We have ONLY sailed NCL and RCCL.  Certainly, the Oasis class ships are somewhat in a league of their own.  NCL has ships nearly as big, but they aren't quite as impressive. The Oasis ships have the "neighborhoods" which I really like (we LOVE Central Park).  But overall, the experience is very similar.  Yes, they have different restaurants and such.  But the vibe is similar (very similar) IMO.  NCL touts the "Freestyle" style, but frankly, RCCL is pretty darn similar.  Since they now barely enforce a dress code even on "formal nights"...there really is hardly any difference in feeling or atmosphere.  We pick now based on itinerary & price.  The ship & cruise line are distant factors.