Hub App Chat questions

341A

5 hours ago, Hoops_Baller said:

Seems like this would be a problem if only one person on the wi-fi plans can be connected at a time?  We are trying to communicate the whereabouts/meeting places, etc for 2 adults and 3 children (10, 15, 17).  Long delays through the hub messenger app is certainly not good either, but its seems to have worked well for others....

Each phone that adds the Hub app "chat" feature can be on the wi-fi at the same time.  Assuming you have 5 phones, it would cost you $25 for the cruise to have all of you connected to the Hub chat.  The $5 fee doesn't get you to any other internet sites.  It's certainly cheaper than paying for an internet plan for 5 people.  With just 2 of us, we really didn't use it because we were together 95% of the time.  On the few times we sent messages, they didn't show up to the other person in a timely manner.  It may depend on the ship.  I can't remember if we used it on the Breeze or Valor.

17 hours ago, Hoops_Baller said:

Seems like this would be a problem if only one person on the wi-fi plans can be connected at a time?  We are trying to communicate the whereabouts/meeting places, etc for 2 adults and 3 children (10, 15, 17).  Long delays through the hub messenger app is certainly not good either, but its seems to have worked well for others....

The Hub app works on the ships Wifi network.......anyone that pays the $5 Hub Chat fee can connect to that simultaneously

12 hours ago, PlanoDebbie said:

Each phone that adds the Hub app "chat" feature can be on the wi-fi at the same time.  Assuming you have 5 phones, it would cost you $25 for the cruise to have all of you connected to the Hub chat.  The $5 fee doesn't get you to any other internet sites.  It's certainly cheaper than paying for an internet plan for 5 people.  With just 2 of us, we really didn't use it because we were together 95% of the time.  On the few times we sent messages, they didn't show up to the other person in a timely manner.  It may depend on the ship.  I can't remember if we used it on the Breeze or Valor.

13 minutes ago, marshalltp said:

The Hub app works on the ships Wifi network.......anyone that pays the $5 Hub Chat fee can connect to that simultaneously

@PlanoDebbie and @marshalltp, @Hoops_Baller was replying to PlanoDebbie's comment below regarding using the social media plan instead of the HUB app for messaging.  I do believe that they didn't understand that you can have the social media package for more than one device at a time, you just have to pay for multiple packages.

On 2/27/2019 at 8:40 PM, PlanoDebbie said:

You will have to pay $5 per phone in order to register for the Hub messenger app.  We did it a few years ago, but felt it was a waste of money.  Several messages between me and hubby took several hours to be delivered.  You're better off having both of you getting one of the social wi-fi plans and simply send messages via the apps it supports.  I prefer the value plan which includes email, all of the social networks, news and most importanly SPORTS SCORES!!!  We're traveling during March Madness.

The Hub app worked well for us. Previously we had used walkie talkies (turned on low) and they were okay but clunky and if a kid shut it off there was no way to get a message to them. I love that the Hub app shows if the message has been seen by the person. We had 26 in our group and most of us had the app and as long as you left it running in the background you were fine. 

Just my experience last June on the Breeze.

A year before we sailed, wife and I downloaded the Hub to our phones.  The Hub is free (as opposed to any of the Wi-Fi plans).  When the Hub is downloaded before boarding the ship, you can enter your cruise info, but the only feature that works is the countdown screen.  We had to manually set the countdown by actually entering the number of days before sailing.  Thought the app should be tied to our booking info.  No biggie.

Once on the ship, we could personalize the Hub (still free) and could buy the optional Hub chat feature, which we did, for $5 each.  This allows "texting" with other parties on the ship who also have the chat feature paid for and enabled.

Our experience was not good.  Many times the texts did not arrive in a timely manner, and many times during the week the app just stopped and we had to reinstall the whole app as advised by Guest Services (did not have to repurchase the chat feature).

Did not affect the fun we had on the cruise, we just knew we could not depend on contacting each other with Chat.

I read and believe the many posts which describe wonderful chat service.  Just not what we experienced on that particular sailing.