An Interesting Photo....

Hi all,

Just back from a Northern Lights cruise on the P&O UK Oriana. As we sailed in the Norwegian Sea on 14 February, we had 8 metre swells and 60 knot winds. All the decks were closed and by pure luck, I was looking out a window on the Promenade Deck and had my camera poised to take a photo of the rolling swells, when a big wave came crashing across the deck. I got such a fright, by reflex I took a photo, hence it being slightly out of focus. Immediately after, there was a metre of water up against the window and the deck furniture was floating. The ship rolled and the water dispersed. 

Quite an experience!

DSCN2033.JPG

• Like 6

2 hours ago, JohnGc said:

Great photo.Sorry to all pax that dont like rough seas but I love it,only time I feel like I am cruising.

Cheers John

I don't mind a bit of rough myself said Lady Smithmehorseshoe Whitby. :classic_rolleyes:

5 hours ago, NSWP said:

Great pic, thank you Fletch, all part of the adventure. Love ye olde Oriana, crossed the Atlantic on her, she goes alright.

This was our second cruise on the Oriana and she has deteriorated considerably in 12 months. Smoke in one of my travelling party's cabin causing a move to a worse cabin, ripped carpets patched with caution tape, the whole ship was very hot, with it rumored some passengers sleeping outside the Purser's Desk as it was cooler there, food very average. Staff were excellent though. But we would not cruise on her again. 

P&O have sold her and she leaves the fleet in August. 

11 hours ago, Fletch1 said:

Hi all,

Just back from a Northern Lights cruise on the P&O UK Oriana. As we sailed in the Norwegian Sea on 14 February, we had 8 metre swells and 60 knot winds. All the decks were closed and by pure luck, I was looking out a window on the Promenade Deck and had my camera poised to take a photo of the rolling swells, when a big wave came crashing across the deck. I got such a fright, by reflex I took a photo, hence it being slightly out of focus. Immediately after, there was a metre of water up against the window and the deck furniture was floating. The ship rolled and the water dispersed. 

Quite an experience!

DSCN2033.JPG

Wow.

55 minutes ago, Fletch1 said:

This was our second cruise on the Oriana and she has deteriorated considerably in 12 months. Smoke in one of my travelling party's cabin causing a move to a worse cabin, ripped carpets patched with caution tape, the whole ship was very hot, with it rumored some passengers sleeping outside the Purser's Desk as it was cooler there, food very average. Staff were excellent though. But we would not cruise on her again. 

P&O have sold her and she leaves the fleet in August. 

A shame she is so run down, being sold probably doesn't help with getting the issues fixed for the remaining cruises though.

Reminds me of our cruise on Pacific Princess, ran into Cyclone off Qld coast, balcony two down from us had its door smashed by a wave, (deck 7) over 500 sea sickness injections according to Capt (remember only 680 passengers) we knew then nothing would bother us.

Great photo. Seeing that made me think of the people who try & get to outside deck when the deck is closed due to weather. Even with the doors locked and barricades in place, they can be seen going under the barrier and trying to open the doors. When there are auto doors they wave their arms around trying to trigger the sensor. I guess getting their nicotine fix shows no bounds.

One can only imagine where they would end up if they did find a way outside and something like this wave came crashing aboard. Likely their surviving relatives would be suing the cruiseline!

3 hours ago, mr walker said:

Great photo. Seeing that made me think of the people who try & get to outside deck when the deck is closed due to weather. Even with the doors locked and barricades in place, they can be seen going under the barrier and trying to open the doors. When there are auto doors they wave their arms around trying to trigger the sensor. I guess getting their nicotine fix shows no bounds.

One can only imagine where they would end up if they did find a way outside and something like this wave came crashing aboard. Likely their surviving relatives would be suing the cruiseline!

Possibly, but with the CC cameras and such it would be obvious it was their own fault.