Edge Dining

SeaBunny

I am very confused about Edge dining. 

1. Which venues are included (no up charge)?

2. What (if anything) is the difference between the four MDRs?

3. If I have "select dining" do I have to make reservations for MDRs? Can't I just walk up? We are traveling with another couple and want to dine together. Also, I would prefer not to have pre-set dining times without knowing daily activities.

Thanks in advance.

Regarding the 4 main dining rooms, each  offer a different type of cuisine.  The Tuscan is Italian, the Normandy is French, the Cypress is Greek and the Cosmopolitan is American.  You can see an example of each restaurant by accessing the Celebrity web site,  click on the Menu === option on the right hand side of the web page, select ships, select EDGE then scroll down to the dining options.  No you do not have to make reservation, you can go to the desired restaurant and if there is room you will be seated.   We travel with 2 friend as well and opted to make reservations via our daily planner because we wanted insure we could enjoy all the complementary main dinning rooms. .  If your reservation are joined or connected you make your reservations ahead of time.

Have fun

As for which dining venues are included they are:

The 4 Main Dining rooms (Tuscan, Normandie, Cosmopolitan & Cypress)

The Ocean View café (buffet)

The Spa Cafe

The Mast Grill (hot dogs, burgers, French fries)

Eden at breakfast and lunch - Dinner has a charge.

This thread has a lot of info about Edge dining:

A couple of changes since that thread was started:

1) The Grand Plaza Cafe is no more (probably not needed with Cafe al Bacio and Eden Cafe serving similar items).

2) The Dinner on the Edge may or may not happen. They have tried various things and I'm not sure what they are doing right now, but they had stopped it on 1/20 due to wind and complaints about the food getting cold before they could eat (the wind doesn't help and they have to bring the food from a kitchen far away). They were doing dinners on the Magic Carpet on 5 attached to Raw on 5. We enjoyed doing that.

Edited by vtcruising

Just returned on Sunday.  Tried all 4.  All very good.  We especially liked the service at Tuscan, so changed our table reservation for 6 for remainder of cruise to Tuscan with no problem.  Highly recommend 2 lady servers at Tuscan.  Fahrije and Rafaela.

They're almost wonderful!   😂 

3 hours ago,  sailingmickey said: 

Regarding the 4 main dining rooms, each  offer a different type of cuisine. 

Sascol answered:  "This is not the case - same menus in each....only the décor is different."

No, not exactly.  The evening specials entrees are all the same in the four.  The "any night" menu is all the same in the four.  BUT  each of the restaurants has its own list of "any night" items.  Using one as an example, The Greek restaurant has a couple of Greek appetizers and a couple of Greek entrees, and each of the other three also have their own list of "any night" items.  You can't get the Greek entrees in the other three restaurants, nor can you get the other's special dishes in the Greek restaurant.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sascol said:

This is not the case - same menus in each....only the décor is different.

Not true. Most of the menu is the same, but each has a few unique offerings. I was on The Edge last week.

• Like 1

As others have said, each MDR has its own specialty(ie Tuscan would be Italian).  However, I thought there would be more dishes geared to that specialty but there were a few choices only and then the regular menu.Once I got use to it, it was okay.  To me the MDR's were very similar to the larger size MDR on other ships except for size and decor and those few special dishes.  They still rush dinner if you let them.

We were on the Edge in February and really enjoyed it.  Fine Cut was the best for dining but that is a fee dinner.

Also we generally do not make reservations and just know we might have to wait for a short time and just enjoy a drink while we wait(not many bars close to the MDR's though on the Edge).

Enjoy your cruise.

The Celebrity Website has  sample menus showing the special/unique offerings at each and the gen menus..plus photos

Res not needed but you may not be seated on demand..depending on those who have res and what is offered that night.

One way to think about the 4 different MDRs is that the rotating menus each night are just like the MDR menus on all other X ships, except that you get 7 more choices in each Edge MDR (3 appetizers, 3 entrees and 1 dessert) specific to the theme of the restaurant. Yes, those stay the same each night, but if you are happy with the MDR food on all the other X ships, you will get all of that plus 28 extra choices (7 choices X 4 MDRs) that they don't have on other X ships, if you dine in all 4 MDRs. When I finally thought about it that way, it felt like a step up, even if those regional menus stay the same each night. I have sampled many of those dishes and many were a step up from the usual X menus and just trying different things was nice. 🙂

The menu links are in the first post in the Edge Dining thread link I posted above. The desserts are not shown online, but each one has a special regional dessert added to the regular desserts.

We have mostly been in suites on the Edge, though ate twice in Cyprus (once was a special dinner) and enjoyed it very much. We also did a Taste of the Edge food tasting so were able to sample things from each restaurant. I was impressed. We are very much looking forward to our next Edge cruise in an SV with Select Dining and have booked many of the nights already. 🙂

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me if you are on a set dining time (6pm) but you want to eat at 7pm in alternate dining room - how easy is it to change?  The whole dining issues seem way to complicated for a ship.  Anytime dining was not available so am I stuck with the same assigned restaurant every night unless I pay for a specialty restaurant?  Thanks for any clarification on this.

17 minutes ago, Gd2beaBrit said:

Can anyone tell me if you are on a set dining time (6pm) but you want to eat at 7pm in alternate dining room - how easy is it to change?  The whole dining issues seem way to complicated for a ship.  Anytime dining was not available so am I stuck with the same assigned restaurant every night unless I pay for a specialty restaurant?  Thanks for any clarification on this.

You can go to post #2 which links to how to Dine in the MDR's on The Edge.

You may not be able to just show up and be seated when you want at the other MDR's without being assigned SD+, each category is capacity controlled. You may want to continue to call (or have your TA call) to see if you have cleared the wait list.

The other option, if you have not, is to head to the Maitre d' upon boarding to find out if there is space available in SD+ so you can change or make a request to dine in the other MDR's if you know which days you would like.

bon appetite and bon voyage

28 minutes ago, Gd2beaBrit said:

Are you on the waiting list for Select Dining?  If not, I would ask your travel agent or call Celebrity and put yourself on the wait list. When you board, you should head to the MDR maitre d's ASAP and see if you can be changed, if it didn't happen prior to your cruise (your dining assignment will be in your cabin mail slot when you arrive - or at least ours was). If you can't change, you can let the maitre d' know that you would like to try other MDRs. I have heard that the traditional diners have been able to try other MDRs (not sure about going at 7), when space is available. Good luck!

Edited by vtcruising

2 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

You can go to post #2 which links to how to Dine in the MDR's on The Edge.

You may not be able to just show up and be seated when you want at the other MDR's without being assigned SD+, each category is capacity controlled. You may want to continue to call (or have your TA call) to see if you have cleared the wait list.

The other option, if you have not, is to head to the Maitre d' upon boarding to find out if there is space available in SD+ so you can change or make a request to dine in the other MDR's if you know which days you would like.

bon appetite and bon voyage

Great minds think alike! 😉

• Haha 1

Thanks everyone - I am wait listed for select dining.  When booked it wasn't available and it seems to be the only way to get a variety of reservations in the MDRs.  Will try just checking with whatever restaurant I'm not assigned to for a change of scenery at least.  🙂

Just now, Gd2beaBrit said:

Thanks everyone - I am wait listed for select dining.  When booked it wasn't available and it seems to be the only way to get a variety of reservations in the MDRs.  Will try just checking with whatever restaurant I'm not assigned to for a change of scenery at least.  🙂

Others have reported being able to do it, so hope you can as well!

• Like 1

I am just off of Edge on 3/10 and switching between dining rooms wasn’t a problem for us. We were assigned to Cypress for 6:00 dining & the couple we were traveling with, walked over to the Normandy Dining room & made a reservation for a different night for all of us. We simply notified Cypress (our original assigned dining room that we would be away for that particular night. I was honestly impressed at how smoothly it all went.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, bacm said:

I am just off of Edge on 3/10 and switching between dining rooms wasn’t a problem for us. We were assigned to Cypress for 6:00 dining & the couple we were traveling with, walked over to the Normandy Dining room & made a reservation for a different night for all of us. We simply notified Cypress (our original assigned dining room that we would be away for that particular night. I was honestly impressed at how smoothly it all went.

That's great to hear! 🙂

On 3/5/2019 at 1:14 PM, jelayne said:

Eden at breakfast and lunch - Dinner has a charge.

Was onboard two weeks ago.

Eden is now open for breakfast ONLY on sea days.

Claimed not enough business on port days.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Thanks for letting us know! How was your cruise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was a nice new ship but was definitely not worth the up-charge over M & S class ships. We were the top cruisers with over 150 Celebrity sailings but did not feel like it. Had many quality control issues with the MDR galley. Talked to the F&B after a couple of days and had them corrected. Had many Zenith related issues. Celebrity seems on the verge of eliminating Zenith perks that involve suite perk overlap (embarkation, suite lounge, etc). Had access to the Retreat but did not receive a singe communication about any events. As far I as know there was never an officer soiree in the Retreat lounge. No communication about priority tendering. On M & S class ships received voice mail from the MCC every night. Would go again if prices drop to the level of the other ships but not at current pricing.

• Thanks 1

It was a nice new ship but was definitely not worth the up-charge over M & S class ships. We were the top cruisers with over 150 Celebrity sailings but did not feel like it. Had many quality control issues with the MDR galley. Talked to the F&B after a couple of days and had them corrected. Had many Zenith related issues. Celebrity seems on the verge of eliminating Zenith perks that involve suite perk overlap (embarkation, suite lounge, etc). Had access to the Retreat but did not receive a singe communication about any events. As far I as know there was never an officer soiree in the Retreat lounge. No communication about priority tendering. On M & S class ships received voice mail from the MCC every night. Would go again if prices drop to the level of the other ships but not at current pricing.

I think a lot of us are watching prices. I love the ship, but not the prices.

That is sad if they are not catering to Zeniths as much. I do have to say that we never got any notice of events at the Retreat when we were in suites. We did get invited to a great bridge tour.

I’m wondering if they are overwhelmed with the number of suites on the Edge and still trying to get their hands around 3 concierges with 176 suites. They are often the frontline for the complaints about suite balcony furniture and the lack of a freestanding bar. I saw them explaining it quite a few times. They handled it all gracefully but still may be overwhelmed. Not trying to excuse anything, just wondering. I became buddies with a Zenith on my Nov-Dec cruises and I don’t think she was totally happy with things but seemed to realize it was early on and did connect with one of the Retreat concierges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk