Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Woobstr112G

Live From The Ruby Princess CA Coastal March 10-17, 2019

Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, Rogueperson said:

Oh, I know he hasn't.  when i went to my Princess Account about a week ago, there was nothing there about wifi, so with him much closer to his sail date, he may have purchased it already...maybe.

 

Also, if he does have it, I was just curious how fast it was from him onboard so i know what to expect.  I'm still not 100% onboard on even getting it because the only time i've gotten internet was on Royal Caribbean.  If its significantly slower (which will be a pretty neat trick), I may forgo it completely.

 

I previously purchased my internet access awhile ago.  The only option was for $59.00 (Medallion Net) for the entire 7 day voyage.  I’m not sure if the price was adjusted due my Elite loyalty level.  I am very much looking forward to the faster internet speed as reported by recent passengers.  I will definitely report on it as soon as I board.....:classic_smile::classic_smile::classic_smile:

 

Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Bob we are going on the Ruby  on the 17th and staying at the Sunrise Hotel in San Pedro and wondering if there is any excursions out of San Pedro to La. We had one booked and it was cancelled because they don't go out to San Pedro. Also how is the weather now?  thank you ..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

46413216115_bde97419d9.jpg

I was out a little earlier and snapped a picture of the NCL Star sailing in.  I wish I had my bigger lens with me so I could have taken a better picture.  Small little mishap though in taking this in a hurry.  I pulled off my lens cap and it went sailing out of my hand and, yup you guessed it, into the water:classic_biggrin:; ooops.

 

Hope all are well.....:classic_smile::classic_smile::classic_smile:

 

Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lafromfl said:

Hi Bob we are going on the Ruby  on the 17th and staying at the Sunrise Hotel in San Pedro and wondering if there is any excursions out of San Pedro to La. We had one booked and it was cancelled because they don't go out to San Pedro. Also how is the weather now?  thank you ..

The weather was just a tad cool this morning when I was out walking due to some wind.  No fog this morning as well.  As far as excursions go, the only thing I could think of is checking your cruise personalizer to see if Princess offers anything.  Otherwise, you might consider Uber to take you to a specific place/event you want to go to.....:classic_smile::classic_smile::classic_smile:


Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Woobstr112G said:

I previously purchased my internet access awhile ago.  The only option was for $59.00 (Medallion Net) for the entire 7 day voyage.  I’m not sure if the price was adjusted due my Elite loyalty level.  I am very much looking forward to the faster internet speed as reported by recent passengers.  I will definitely report on it as soon as I board.....:classic_smile::classic_smile::classic_smile:

 

Bob

Bob,

The 2 previous times that I have been on a Medallion cruise they gave unlimited free internet to the Elite level. I'm on the Regal on the 17th and have not purchased the internet package. So I will be interested to find out if it is still free or not. Have fun and relax so you can go home and work a bunch of cruise fund ot. Dave 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Royal0000 said:

Bob,

The 2 previous times that I have been on a Medallion cruise they gave unlimited free internet to the Elite level. I'm on the Regal on the 17th and have not purchased the internet package. So I will be interested to find out if it is still free or not. Have fun and relax so you can go home and work a bunch of cruise fund ot. Dave 

Will do sir.....:classic_smile::classic_smile::classic_smile:

 

Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We got off the Ruby Feb. 28 from the 10 day Mexican cruise, so can answer a few questions.   

We stayed at the Doubletree and, as others have said, you sign up for a shuttle when you check in.    Ours left at 10:15, very efficient.   One important thing - when your cruise is over and you want to shuttle back to the hotel, make sure to put your name of the sign-up list hanging on a post on the pick-up island.    They take people in the order of sign-up and several people were left waiting because they hadn't signed up.    Also - we found the Doubletree a little disappointing this time, even though we were upgraded to a full suite for some reason: less efficient in some areas, pretty poor restaurant, freezing cold in public rooms, and NO CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE!    We may try the Crowne Plaza next time.  

 

We found the internet speed onboard to be very fast, once you successfully got on.    Log-on takes more steps than it used to and we had to first type in "logout.com" every time we attempted log-on, even if we had done it when logging off previously.   Otherwise we got a "This device is already connected" message, but you couldn't get anywhere on the internet.    You also can't see the number of minutes you have remaining until you log off.    We each had 250 free minutes as Elites, so don't remember the cost of packages.

 

Yes, there were On Demand movies - we watched Bohemian Rhapsody and Instant Family; they also had Crazy Rich Asians, but we had already seen it.  

 

Someone asked about Wine Packages - there were none available on our 10 day cruise.    Bar service was the only area where we had problems.    Crooners was understaffed, with tables often left uncleared, and some of the staff were very poorly trained.       

 

Overall, the ship looked good, food and food service was very good (ate in Club Class), and things ran pretty smoothly.    Our trip had very cold weather but very smooth seas.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kartgv said:

We got off the Ruby Feb. 28 from the 10 day Mexican cruise, so can answer a few questions.   

We stayed at the Doubletree and, as others have said, you sign up for a shuttle when you check in.    Ours left at 10:15, very efficient.   One important thing - when your cruise is over and you want to shuttle back to the hotel, make sure to put your name of the sign-up list hanging on a post on the pick-up island.    They take people in the order of sign-up and several people were left waiting because they hadn't signed up.    Also - we found the Doubletree a little disappointing this time, even though we were upgraded to a full suite for some reason: less efficient in some areas, pretty poor restaurant, freezing cold in public rooms, and NO CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE!    We may try the Crowne Plaza next time.  

 

We found the internet speed onboard to be very fast, once you successfully got on.    Log-on takes more steps than it used to and we had to first type in "logout.com" every time we attempted log-on, even if we had done it when logging off previously.   Otherwise we got a "This device is already connected" message, but you couldn't get anywhere on the internet.    You also can't see the number of minutes you have remaining until you log off.    We each had 250 free minutes as Elites, so don't remember the cost of packages.

 

Yes, there were On Demand movies - we watched Bohemian Rhapsody and Instant Family; they also had Crazy Rich Asians, but we had already seen it.  

 

Someone asked about Wine Packages - there were none available on our 10 day cruise.    Bar service was the only area where we had problems.    Crooners was understaffed, with tables often left uncleared, and some of the staff were very poorly trained.       

 

Overall, the ship looked good, food and food service was very good (ate in Club Class), and things ran pretty smoothly.    Our trip had very cold weather but very smooth seas.    

I thought all cruises 10 days or over had the wine package.  This is a bit upsetting to me.  I have a 12 day on the Ruby coming up and was prepared to purchase the wine package.  Sounds like I better carry a case on with me.

 

You will like the Crowne Plaza, I've stayed a couple of times at Double Tree and more at the Crowne.  I prefer the Crowne.  I get 2 free drinks and free buffet breakfast with my park and cruise package, better then a cookie, LOL  Plus you can walk around town, very quaint area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PekingeseLady said:

I thought all cruises 10 days or over had the wine package....

 

There hasn't been a wine package offered on our last 3 cruises - the recent Ruby 10 day, a 12 day RT on the Golden from LA to Alaska, or a 15 night RT on the Star between Vancouver & Hawaii.   Sorry - we were disappointed too.    We asked several times and got no real answers, just "Sorry, they're not available on this cruise".    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Kartgv said:

 

There hasn't been a wine package offered on our last 3 cruises - the recent Ruby 10 day, a 12 day RT on the Golden from LA to Alaska, or a 15 night RT on the Star between Vancouver & Hawaii.   Sorry - we were disappointed too.    We asked several times and got no real answers, just "Sorry, they're not available on this cruise".    

TY for the information.  Guess I'll be carrying on a case.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good evening all.  Holli & I just returned to our room after a wonderful dinner at the 22nd St. Landing with several other roll call members.  The food and company were outstanding.  I just finished putting our luggage tags on all of our bags.  Getting ready to turn in to get some rest.  Tomorrow our adventure begins.  It will be great to finally be onboard after waiting for this cruise since booking it last summer.

 

Hope all are well.....:classic_smile::classic_smile::classic_smile:


Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/7/2019 at 12:16 PM, danjessee said:

If you miss the Gastro Pub ( it is very crowded and service is very slow)  your can still get the Ernesto Burger ( just 5$ ( and the Street tacos at the Pool Grill. I had the Burger last Oct on the Ruby and have gotten it out of my system.

 

As for Share its a do it one time thing for us. It was 39$ ( 29 now$)  when we did it in 2017 and a rip off compared to the Crown Grill for $29.  After you eat a  Share stop by the Buffet or International Cafe. I weigh 180 and even my beautiful wife who weighs 120 was still hungry also after a three hour multi hi end appetizer Share Dinner. Just my 2 cents.  🙂

We did Share on our last cruise in Nov. 2018 on the Emerald Princess and I have to say, it's my favorite specialty restaurant. I was stuffed afterwards. They had dropped the price to $29 so I jumped on it as soon as I noticed it. We also did the Crown Grill and it was good, but the food at Share is more to my liking although my husband likes the Crown Grill better. I'd say it depends on if you are a steak lover.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bob,

BON VOYAGE

Hopefully you will have fantastic weather during this cruise. Have a wonderful, relaxing, enjoyable time with Holli and family. Think that Paul gets back today so I am sure he will have plenty to say about his cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, CruisinLow said:

Bob,

BON VOYAGE

Hopefully you will have fantastic weather during this cruise. Have a wonderful, relaxing, enjoyable time with Holli and family. Think that Paul gets back today so I am sure he will have plenty to say about his cruise.

Thanks Ann.  Holli & I are really looking forward to having a great time.  I hope the Ruby's casino is a little friendlier than the Star's from this past November.....:classic_smile::classic_smile::classic_smile:

 

Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

ru_bridge.jpg?1552229057396

I can't wait to be onboard and start reporting on our adventure.....

 

Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Woobstr112G said:

I can't wait to be onboard and start reporting on our adventure.....

 

Bob

It won’t be long now!!!!    Looking forward to following you!!!    BON VOYAGE!!!!     Have a sail away drink for me!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Woobstr112G said:

Thanks Ann.  Holli & I are really looking forward to having a great time.  I hope the Ruby's casino is a little friendlier than the Star's from this past November.....:classic_smile::classic_smile::classic_smile:

 

Bob

Hopefully the Ruby Casino is better now than it was for me in October last year. Go get'em

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

I always enjoy your LIVE FROMS and can’t wait for you to be on board either!  Thanks for taking the time and bon voyage!

Appreciate the kind words.  I thoroughly enjoy doing the Live Froms and taking everyone along with me......:classic_smile::classic_smile::classic_smile:

 

Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, CruisinLow said:

Hopefully the Ruby Casino is better now than it was for me in October last year. Go Get them.

Charge.....:classic_smile::classic_smile::classic_smile:

 

Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HI all!

 

Bob ~ following! Hope you & Holli have a great time on the Ruby. Looking forward to hearing all about it.

Bon voyage!!

 

~ Jo ~ 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter Now for a Chance to Win a 7-day Cruise for Two
      • Q&A with InsureMyTrip
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...