Freestyle soda machines on board NCL? - specifically Joy

Hollyann

We plan to purchase the soda package for my husband who is a Mt. Dew addict.  Our NCL rep said that they have freestyle machines on the Joy (similar to RCCL or Wendy's).  I have not seen them mentioned on other ships. It would be a nuisance to have to go to bartenders all the time to get as many sodas as he will drink. Yes, it's a bad vice, but there are many worse things he could be doing. 😲 

Are there freestyle machines on other ships? If so,  where they are located on those ships? I know the Joy is still in drydock and the first cruises go in May.  Being the planner, i am just trying to think through how he will get his soda in. (We are on the May 18 sailing).  

Edited by Hollyann
addition

54 minutes ago, AdoraBelle said:

AFAIK, the freestyle machines are an RCL thing. (And maybe DCL?) 

I thought it was odd that my NCL rep would tell me that. I trust all of you on these boards rather than my rep on a ship that is not even out of drydock.

I appreciate your replies.

1 minute ago, Hollyann said:

I thought it was odd that my NCL rep would tell me that. I trust all of you on these boards rather than my rep on a ship that is not even out of drydock.

I appreciate your replies.

Apologies, I missed that this was a brand new ship. Maybe they’re going to mimic RC with this one.

That said, “freestyle” is a term associated with NCL in an unrelated context, so sure makes it hard to research your question on google. 🙂

22 minutes ago, AdoraBelle said:

Apologies, I missed that this was a brand new ship. Maybe they’re going to mimic RC with this one. That said, “freestyle” is a term associated with NCL in an unrelated context, so sure makes it hard to research your question on google. 🙂

Not a new ship. No NCL ship, even the newest ship, the Bliss, has a "Freestyle" machine to serve Pepsi products. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Thanks 1

I haven't seen any of these machines on NCL.  Probably a technicality, but Coke has "Freestyle" machines.  Pepsi has Spire machines.  These are the machines that allow you to select your different flavors and sodas; NCL is in a contract with Pepsi.  So, Coke Freestyle machines won't be found on NCL until some serious renegotiation takes place!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jim The Lizard said:

I haven't seen any of these machines on NCL.  Probably a technicality, but Coke has "Freestyle" machines.  Pepsi has Spire machines.  These are the machines that allow you to select your different flavors and sodas; NCL is in a contract with Pepsi.  So, Coke Freestyle machines won't be found on NCL until some serious renegotiation takes place!

You are right, thanks for the clarification. I meant to say "freestyle type" machines. I did not know what Pepsi machines were called, but "Spire" would be fine.  I wonder if they will have the Spire machines on the Joy?

Edited by Hollyann

On 3/17/2019 at 1:56 AM, Hollyann said:

You are right, thanks for the clarification. I meant to say "freestyle type" machines. I did not know what Pepsi machines were called, but "Spire" would be fine.  I wonder if they will have the Spire machines on the Joy?

It would be a cool addition for sure!

21 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

I didn't know Pepsi had "freestyle" machines. I thought only Coke had them.

Pepsi has "Spire," which is essentially the same thing. I've seen the machines a little bit in the northeast, but I definitely see the Coke ones more. I'm a Pepsi drinker and would LOVE to see Spire on board someday.

• 2 months later...

The RCI Freestyle soda machines accept RCI's specially encoded soda cups that are valid for a specific period of time (i.e., during the current cruise).  They also cannot be refilled until a minimum period of time has passed.  NCL has nothing similar.