Premium Wine and Chocolate tasting

EmilyColwell

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has done the "Premium chocolate and wine tasting" in Vines. 

I would love to hear your experiences, reviews and if you remember the approx cost.

Bonus points if you know if this is available on the Star Princess.

Thanks everyone.

I would love to know as well.  I’m curious as one of my favorite tasting experiences was wine and chocolate at Disney!

i think from the signs that it is $15.  Don’t know which ships.

Found the following on the Princess site, but no pricing.

Woman sniffing a glass of red wine, with a piece of chocolate on a plate

PREMIUM CHOCOLATE & WINE TASTING

Visit our Vines wine bar for a special selection of premium chocolates and wines paired by Norman Love. Savor this sensory experience as the wine and chocolate blend harmoniously on your palate.

Charges apply. Venues vary by ship and are subject to change.

1 minute ago, Cruise Junky said:

That I love but not with an unfortified table wine.  Chocolate completely changes the palate.

I can see what you are saying, I only like wine with Chocolate when it is a good dark chocolate and a good red, not a table wine.

However, any port with any dark chocolate will do in a pinch. (This almost sounds like any port in a storm!)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TheRabbit said:

I can see what you are saying, I only like wine with Chocolate when it is a good dark chocolate and a good red, not a table wine.

However, any port with any dark chocolate will do in a pinch. (This almost sounds like any port in a storm!)

Port and chocolate or Port and Stilton are the bomb...just have never understood the wine and chocolate pairing, it would have to be really dark. 

1 hour ago, Cruise Junky said:

I sometimes think I’m the only one that thinks wine and chocolate don’t go. 

Definitely only red wine. Remember: Red wine and chocolate aren't just for breakfast anymore. 

(As far as we are concerned Chardonnay doesn't go with anything. Ever. Period. :classic_dry:)

The World Market store in our area used to carry a collection of chocolate bars for wine tasting. Each bar was labeled with which types of wine to drink with each bar. It was an incredible experience. There was even a bar for champagne and Riesling. We have a Riesling 'champagne' that was heavenly with it. Wish they would bring the product back.

1 hour ago, cruiserdru said:

The World Market store in our area used to carry a collection of chocolate bars for wine tasting. Each bar was labeled with which types of wine to drink with each bar. It was an incredible experience. There was even a bar for champagne and Riesling. We have a Riesling 'champagne' that was heavenly with it. Wish they would bring the product back.

I remember those! I gave them as gifts one Christmas.

7 hours ago, Thrak said:

Definitely only red wine. Remember: Red wine and chocolate aren't just for breakfast anymore. 

(As far as we are concerned Chardonnay doesn't go with anything. Ever. Period. :classic_dry:)

I felt the same way about Chardonnay- ABC Anything But Chardonnay- until I tried Three Bears at a wine tasting.  It’s the only one I’ve liked.  Three Bears has great wine at reasonable prices.  I learned about it from our wine rep at our local liquor store.  He helped select the wines for a tasting event I conducted.  He’s never steered me wrong!

Did this on the Crown about 2 years ago,  I believe it was $15 and at the time included different kinds of chocolate and a rose, malbec, and a cabernet sauvingon as the wines.  It was a fun way to taste chocolate and wines designed to compliment each other.  We had fun comparing our own thoughts on the combinations.

8 hours ago, Thrak said:

But Chardonnay is one of the most versatile grapes in the world, it can be fruity, steely, oaky, chalky.  You could line up 10 Chardonnay's and have them taste nothing like each other. I fully understand not liking a certain style..ie fruit and oak bombs from Napa but not an entire grape 😉

Edited by Cruise Junky

I've done this twice.  It was fun to sit at Vines and eat chocolate and drink some wine. There is no talk like with the wine tastings in the dining rooms.  I like chocolate and I like wine, so why not.  I attached a photo of the Wine and Chocolate tasting from the Caribbean Princess last May. 

chocolate.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tak8 said:

I've done this twice.  It was fun to sit at Vines and eat chocolate and drink some wine. There is no talk like with the wine tastings in the dining rooms.  I like chocolate and I like wine, so why not.  I attached a photo of the Wine and Chocolate tasting from the Caribbean Princess last May. 

chocolate.jpg

Thanks for the info, looks quite yummy.

Is this something  I need to book ASAP when I get on the ship?

Also is this at a set date/time or do you book it and go do it whenever you want?

13 hours ago, TheRabbit said:

Found the following on the Princess site, but no pricing.

Woman sniffing a glass of red wine, with a piece of chocolate on a plate

PREMIUM CHOCOLATE & WINE TASTING

Visit our Vines wine bar for a special selection of premium chocolates and wines paired by Norman Love. Savor this sensory experience as the wine and chocolate blend harmoniously on your palate.

Charges apply. Venues vary by ship and are subject to change.

I read that, thats why my questions are about info that is not included in the write up.

2 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

Chardonnay and roast chicken is a go to pairing for us.  Chocolate and wine is ok, not a fav though.  Everyone likes what they like and that is OK!

My wife is a Chardonnay fan and I like some of them in her collection, and I do mean collection. We have two wine coolers and she keeps quite a collection in them. 

I prefer reds, but one of her chardonnays is shared with chicken, pork, or seafood. As someone pointed out, chardonnay's flavors are all over the place. You can find one you like.

12 minutes ago, EmilyColwell said:

I read that, thats why my questions are about info that is not included in the write up.

I understand, just copied it over as many cruisers don't get to those pages on the Princess site. Looks like a few have had nice results trying this and will suggest it to the DW for this May on the Royal.

I have found that my aversion to Chardonnay is apparently linked only to ones that have been aged in oak. Those aged in steel vats are much more to my palate's taste.

I don't have that problem with reds aged in oak for some reason.

EmilyCowell:  I think there is a one time event, but you can do the chocolate and wine pairing anytime Vines is open, so no need to reserve in advance unless you really want to do it with the group.  

In the photo the violinists, Sunshine Duo, were performing.  I thought it added a nice touch.

40 minutes ago, Tak8 said:

EmilyCowell:  I think there is a one time event, but you can do the chocolate and wine pairing anytime Vines is open, so no need to reserve in advance unless you really want to do it with the group.  

In the photo the violinists, Sunshine Duo, were performing.  I thought it added a nice touch.

Just to confirm I have this right:  we have done multiple Wine Tastings on various ships and they usually take place in one of the MDRs.  So, this Premium Wine Tasting is on your own, at Vines, and a particular grouping of paired chocolates and wines.  I'm guessing you can do this more than once during a sailing.  If that's the case, do they change the wines/chocolate pairings during the cruise?  Different ones on different days?