Connecting to other passengers Royal App

PattyW

5 minutes ago, lcpagejr said:

Isn't a vacation to be able to drop everything and sit back and relax and take in the sights, sea air, etc?? I understand the post baby boomer generations are tech savy...but seriously needing to chat onboard?? Put down the phone and give your fingers a rest for a week...LOL

I get your point but I'm a baby boomer who needs to stay connected for work so I may as well stay connected with family on the ship. It's only a screen tap away.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, lcpagejr said:

Isn't a vacation to be able to drop everything and sit back and relax and take in the sights, sea air, etc?? I understand the post baby boomer generations are tech savy...but seriously needing to chat onboard?? Put down the phone and give your fingers a rest for a week...LOL

The chat feature actually made this Gen X's vacation MORE relaxing.  Post it notes and white boards always made me and the kids feel tied to a schedule (if you say you will be at trivia, you need to be there).  Chat means that if the pool was too crowded you can go elsewhere to read a book or, alternatively, your lounge chair was too comfy - just let everyone know you're going to skip trivia today - without going back to your cabin, hoping people see it or call in to check stateroom phone messages, etc.

And checking the app allowed me to catch NINE false charges on my sea pass account (and I didn't have to scroll through 13 screens of the TV to do so) - so keeping my phone handy for that was also beneficial.  Plus I have all my music on my phone.  That phone was being used - with our without chat.

Edited by PattyW
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PattyW said:

The chat feature actually made this Gen X's vacation MORE relaxing.  Post it notes and white boards always made me and the kids feel tied to a schedule (if you say you will be at trivia, you need to be there).  Chat means that if the pool was too crowded you can go elsewhere to read a book or, alternatively, your lounge chair was too comfy - just let everyone know you're going to skip trivia today - without going back to your cabin, hoping people see it or call in to check stateroom phone messages, etc.

And checking the app allowed me to catch NINE false charges on my sea pass account (and I didn't have to scroll through 13 screens of the TV to do so) - so keeping my phone handy for that was also beneficial.  Plus I have all my music on my phone.  That phone was being used - with our without chat.

To each their own....  Using the App to check charges and other events/happenings has it value  at select times. Just don't want/need to be married to my phone for the whole cruise. Happens enough in my daily  routine (non vacation)

Edited by lcpagejr

On 4/3/2019 at 8:47 AM, PattyW said:

Just to follow up - everything was fine on the ship.  Once onboard, you could search by name and invite everyone in your party (no matter their cabin) to chat. 

As far as the app goes - it is a great first step, but could use a few more features; most notably - an auditory or vibration alert that you have a message.  If you aren't looking at your phone all the time (and who is during a cruise), you don't know that people are trying to communicate with you.  The app developers were onboard Allure the week we sailed and we had a nice conversation with a couple of them while eating lunch at Park Cafe (they asked for, and we passed on, our thoughts on the app and they shared with us a new feature they are working on). 

Yes it would be nice to hear or feel it.  You have to look at your phone all of the time to see if you have messages.  Kids should have no problem with this.  They look at their phones  constantly. Phones set on a low vibrate would perhaps be a nice feature. However, I would find an auditory feature  (and high vibration is quite auditory) annoying as I am lying in the sun on a chaise lounge reading, sleeping or looking at the ocean, while a constant loud buzz or auditory signal is heard from my chair neighbors. One of the joys of cruising for me, and for many others,  is escaping from some of the noise that we are surrounded by at home. I'm one of those people who goes to the "radio" free bay at the beach, where it's hard to find a spot for your chair.

Edited by Sanz

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

Some have reported that it doesn't.

If it’s an Apple device, it should. You just need to set the filter to “iPhone only” instead of “iPad only” to find it.

all iPhone apps work on an iPad.

Random question about the app ... how far in advance can I start using it for an upcoming sailing? It still won't let me access it for my Navigator sailing in November. I'm assuming maybe after final payment?

10 hours ago, lcpagejr said:

Maybe other people have different priorities than you?  We plan to use it so that we can allow our teenager a little bit of freedom, but where we can still get a hold of each other if necessary, not to text non-stop all week.