Tipping recommendations

gks314

4 hours ago, Moparfiend said:

There's a great question for John, if we give the cabin steward 50 bucks, can he keep it and do whatever he likes with it, or is he required by his contract to give this to the cruise line to pay his wages.

I have asked this question in the past and JH assured me that any cash given to a team member is kept by that team member.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

This seems to be a bit of snarkiness possibly directed at me.  If I am mistaken, please excuse me for misinterpreting. 

If so, however, I would like to point out that I make no mention of how much I tip, nor will I.  That is a personal choice for each individual.  Nor is tipping any kind of competition for me (again, personal, private choice for each individual).  And I look down on no one for their choices of tipping amounts.  I don't even want to know what they tip, nor do I care for them to know what I tip. 

The mention of the large numbers of other PAX removing and reducing their autograts in GS in my post is based on my own experience of how many PAX I have personally heard in the process of doing this.  And I mention it partially because I have been unjustly grouped in that category of tip removers by others on these boards, simply by my presence in the GS line towards the end of the cruise.  I wanted to point out that not all of us there are removing tips, but might be doing the opposite. Furthermore, I did no "bashing" of anyone.

I usually refrain from participation in tipping threads because, in part, I find it tacky to discuss our tipping practices, and also in part due to the snarky judging and insults that get thrown around in these threads.  I broke my 'no tips threads' rule this once in order to possibly be helpful to the OP.  The OP was asking for suggestions on how to get the extra tips dispersed, not for our opinions on whether it was too complicated, unnecessary, worrisome, etc.

Again, if I am mistaken that any of your snark was directed at me, I apologize.

I wasn't trying to be snarky towards you. My remarks were directed more at the majority of tip threads in the forum as a whole, because they tend to lead down the same negative path. In my defense, I said someone inevitably brings up tip removal in these threads and you, in fact, did bring it up. I didn't mean to imply that you were bashing them, so I apologize if I came off that way. It's just that, more often than not, when that's brought up, it's usually done in a negative way. You said yourself that you've been accused of doing it simply because you were standing in line, so that's exactly what I'm talking about. A lot of people here have made that accusation time & time again, but the fact is, they don't know why those people are in line (unless they overhear them directly). I'm not saying it doesn't happen, it certainly does, but everyone who's standing in that line on the last day are always lumped together with the ones who pull their tips. I do believe some people have a legitimate reason to lower their tips, because they may have experienced bad service, but I think it's wrong that a lot of people here make broad accusations. And I know you weren't here to talk about how much you tip or to compare it to others. Again, that was something directed at where tip threads tend to go as a whole.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

I wasn't trying to be snarky towards you. My remarks were directed more at the majority of tip threads in the forum as a whole, because they tend to lead down the same negative path. In my defense, I said someone inevitably brings up tip removal in these threads and you, in fact, did bring it up. I didn't mean to imply that you were bashing them, so I apologize if I came off that way. It's just that, more often than not, when that's brought up, it's usually done in a negative way. You said yourself that you've been accused of doing it simply because you were standing in line, so that's exactly what I'm talking about. A lot of people here have made that accusation time & time again, but the fact is, they don't know why those people are in line (unless they overhear them directly). I'm not saying it doesn't happen, it certainly does, but everyone who's standing in that line on the last day are always lumped together with the ones who pull their tips. I do believe some people have a legitimate reason to lower their tips, because they may have experienced bad service, but I think it's wrong that a lot of people here make broad accusations. And I know you weren't here to talk about how much you tip or to compare it to others. Again, that was something directed at where tip threads tend to go as a whole.

Thank you, and I agree with you on most of what you are saying in this particular post.

11 hours ago, mpdog42 said:

Only on CC can people make something so simple..so complicated!!!😱

Complicated??  Never has tipping been anything near that, for this couple. So odd that you think so, in our opinion. 

🌸🌸 Bobbi

I have not read all the responses, but I always go to the Pursers desk and pick up a few additional envelopes to leave cash in, on the last day of our cruise. When I say the "last day" of the cruise, the people that are taking care of us on the ship have no idea, if we will be tipping, and that is why I wait until the last day.  Normally for us, we tip the wait staff in the MDR, but not the Matried-d, as has been suggested.  We also tip our room steward which always seems to do a good job for us.

20 hours ago, Schoifmom said:

I have asked this question in the past and JH assured me that any cash given to a team member is kept by that team member.

This is good to know.  I know there are lots of threads on this topic, it does matter how that cash is handled.  Our last cruise we had a really good room steward so we left him cash and a nice thank you note before we left our cabin on debarkation day.  I'd have hated to have that cash taken from him to be "redistributed" when he deserved it.  If cash given were to be redistributed it'd make giving gift cards a better idea.  We brought an envelope with ones for tipping.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Schoifmom said:

Thank you so much for clarifying the issue of cash tips. Do you know about when charging tips on SS card for bartenders? Do they themselves get the charged tip or is it sent to the pool of everyone who is working that shif?   

1 minute ago, SandiLynn said:

Thank you so much for clarifying the issue of cash tips. Do you know about when charging tips on SS card for bartenders? Do they themselves get the charged tip or is it sent to the pool of everyone who is working that shif?   

I have no direct guidance on that.  I have found that JH is very good about answering these types of questions, though.

3 hours ago, SandiLynn said:

While I'm not 100% certain of this, from what I've seen, the person whom served you and who gave the tip to on the receipt is the one gets that tip. I noticed at the bars the bartenders and servers had their own cups that they would stick their receipts in that had tips on them. 

Also I've noticed they are just as happy to get a tip whether it's written on the receipt or handed a couple $1 bills. 

Edited by schazzy

2 minutes ago, schazzy said:

While I'm not 100% certain of this, from what I've seen, the person whom served you and who gave the tip to on the receipt is the one gets that tip. I noticed at the bars the bartenders and servers had their own cups that they would stick their receipts in that had tips on them. 

I would love to be able to charge those bartender tips and not have to bring so many $1 bills, but I was not certain how the charges for tips got distributed. Thank you , hopefully someone will confirm your thoughts. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SandiLynn said:

I would love to be able to charge those bartender tips and not have to bring so many $1 bills, but I was not certain how the charges for tips got distributed. Thank you , hopefully someone will confirm your thoughts. 

Yeah, we didn't want to bring a ton of cash last time, so we just wrote in tips on the receipts, and like I said they seemed to be just as happy with that as the crew was with cash on our cruise before that. We plan to do the same and just write them in on the receipts again for our cruise in 37 days from now, I'll report back on how it goes.   

4 minutes ago, schazzy said:

Yeah, we didn't want to bring a ton of cash last time, so we just wrote in tips on the receipts, and like I said they seemed to be just as happy with that as the crew was with cash on our cruise before that. We plan to do the same and just write them in on the receipts again for our cruise in 37 days from now, I'll report back on how it goes.   

Thank you so much, that would be GREAT! We have to wait 128 days 21 hours 29 minutes until our seventh Carnival,but first time on Glory.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SandiLynn said:

Thank you so much, that would be GREAT! We have to wait 128 days 21 hours 29 minutes until our seventh Carnival,but first time on Glory.

It'll be here before you know it, one minute it seems like forever away, next minute you are panicking because you need to be at the port in less than 36 hours and you are quadruple checking you have everything!!! :classic_laugh:

This one coming up will be my 8th cruise and my first on the Sunshine. I'm so ready!