Earliest Flight Out of Heathrow and Gatwick

Desert Cruisers

We are flying to Rome after we disembark the Queen Mary 2 in Southampton on a Friday.  Because we have a boatload of on-board credit, we are thinking about taking the Cunard transfer to either Heathrow or Gatwick.  How early a flight can we book?  We are looking at BA out of Heathrow at either 12:45 or 15:40.  We have BA Lounge access but would prefer not to spend hours there.

Also, if we decide not to take the Cunard transfer, does anyone have suggestions re alternatives to getting to either Heathrow or Gatwick?

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

If you have a boat load and a half of OBC, consider hiring a car through Cunard to get to the airport.  We did this in Sydney and it was a stroke of genius.  When we exited the customs area, a woman was waiting with our luggage on a trolley and she pushed the trolley right to our hired car where the driver loaded it.  Otherwise I would book Smiths for Airports.

We have used Cunard transfers to Gatwick several times. We have also used Smiths (mostly to the ship as opposed to from) and, like others, we highly recommend them.

The Cunard coach transfers usually depart the pier about 8:30 and it takes approximately two hours. We have seen a notice that it could take longer if traffic is heavy, but I don't think we have ever been on a transfer that took longer.  Cunard has recommended that their transfer not be used for flights departing Gatwick or Heathrow before 1:30 p.m.

I concur with above that the Cunard coaches (which are good) leave around or before 0900, once everyone and the bags are on - but all you need is a straggler or 2...

That would get you to LHR T5 around or just before 11.00 if the traffic is OK...so your 12.45 flight is all doable but slightly risky...
 - check-in closes at -45 mins with BA at T5 

If you book a chauffeured car/taxi then a 12.45 flight is fine as you can self disembark, and be in the car and on your way around 08.45 or even sooner.

For LGW allow 3 hours for the trip with the Cunard coach, and LGW check-in closes at -60

Initially I said I'd probably book the 1540 - Have a more leisurely morning. Get up, have breakfast and then get a private car transfer to LHR T5 (Smiths for Airports should be about £90 - I live a 10 minute drive from T5 and pay that to/from Southampton).

That said, I think the 1245 might be doable. For the 1245 you'd need to be there by 1200 at very latest for conformance at T5. This would be if you're flying hand baggage only also. Realistically if you've got bags then I'd want to be there 1.5 hours before, so 1115. At a good run it's an hour from Southampton to T5, so 1015. Add an hour for getting bags and a bit of leeway and you'd want to be off the ship by 9am.

I still think I'd book the 1540, but I don't particularly mind spending time at the airport really (it's a rare chance for some downtime for me!).

I did the Cunard coach to Victoria Station (which admittedly is further than Heathrow) last year, and we had a straggler or two, and ended up leaving almost an hour late. (Said stragglers apparently didn't hear the announcement in the theatre, where we congregated.) 

I'd much rather book the slightly later flight, and have less stress.