Viking Sky survivors

KyOh

OTJ, I was getting a little curious myself but was involved in switching our "Cities of Antiquity & Holy Lands" cruise from January to next November.  My wife & I just couldn't chance it with the surge of Covid in our area.  Viking was very helpful in assisting us with the cancellation and rebooking.  In the process though I honestly forgot to ask about the chairman's cruise.  Let us know please when you get a response.   Thanks, JohnEB

Hi John,

Well, I got a phone call. Most disappointing. I felt like the agent was simply just blowing off the concern by expressing thoughts about the pandemic having interefered with the scheduling, but that they 'haven't forgotten about us' (I'm quite honestly not certain if I believe this) and that he will 'pass along the concern to higher executives' (LOL...seriously?) and will inform us if any plans are firmed up. It was simply a bunch of excuses. I wrote the following back to him being that he also sent an email. I replied to his initial call by email, being that i was not able to take the call when it came in, and then he called back a second time. It's totally frustrating. Blaming it on the pandemic, at this point, is ludicrous from the standpoint that cruising has resumed all across the various lines - been going on for months now. So that excuse, to me, is rather weak. His whole manner during the call was simply one of having called because he thought he should. Otherwise really had not a thing to offer. 

My reply....I'm really ready to simply forget this whole thing - even if something is offered at this point. 

"Thanks for the return call; however, it’s a bit tough to understand why so many new sailings have gone out and continue to go out - even in the midst of the pandemic (including a world cruise even) - and yet putting something together for the Sky passengers continues to just get pushed off. It’s very frustrating from the standpoint of wondering if it’s going to take place and, if it does, how many of us will even have room to fit it in to busy schedules that have quickly filled up with rebooking other previously canceled trips. So unfortunately your response is of little comfort. My personal feeling is that, as much as Mr. Hagen might want it to happen yet and probably hates to say it won’t, my gut feeling is that it won’t take place anymore. I do wish they’d decide soon. Covid, in some form or other, is likely to be with us for years to come, and yet that has not, as I said, stopped new ships from being built or new sailings going out all across the various cruise lines. I’ll pass along your thoughts of continued uncertainty but know that others who were on the Sky will be as disappointed as I am with essntially no further update on the status of what was offered to us."

I encourage others to contact them also at the tellus address, but ultimately I think it's probably a waste of time at this point. I'll be more than pleasantly surprised if we ever hear another word about it. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

I am thinking that after the current Covid surge abates after a few weeks that I will contact them.  Hopefully something will be on the planning boards by then.  I believe I had read that there are two new ocean ships that are supposed to come online, but not sure if it is this year.  As you say, it is disappointing given the cruises now available.    Stay well!   JohnEB

Apologies if you've already done so, but have you gents considered directly asking the boss, or one of his senior execs?

Mr. Hagen and a couple of his key people are listed at Viking Cruises - Elliott Advocacy  Just scroll down the page to find them. (If the "hagen@" email doesn't work, try "torstein.hagen@" - that appears to be the company standard).

A polite, but direct contact served me well in a similar situation several years ago with HAL. Best of luck.  🍻🥌

• Like 1

6 hours ago, johneb2 said:

I am thinking that after the current Covid surge abates after a few weeks that I will contact them.  Hopefully something will be on the planning boards by then.  I believe I had read that there are two new ocean ships that are supposed to come online, but not sure if it is this year.  As you say, it is disappointing given the cruises now available.    Stay well!   JohnEB

John,

Affirmative, Viking has 2 new ships launching this year:

• Viking Mars - departs Barcelona May 28th 
  • Viking Neptune - starts Piraeus Nov 24th

Since Viking has nothing planned for Mars before Barcelona, my best guess is that they have kept this available for the Sky pax.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

my best guess is that they have kept this available for the Sky pax.

May, of this year?  Nice thought, but surely little time to plan for it (or even have time available, which I don't). One of Mr. Hagen's communications specifically said we'd be informed with plenty of advance notification so as to work it into our schedules. With May being only 4 months from now, I suspect there is nothing in the works for that soon. 

13 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

A polite, but direct contact served me well in a similar situation several years ago with HAL. Best of luck. 

OK...just emailed Torstein directly. See what happens. I tried this once before but don't recall receiving a reply. Thanks for the encouragement to do this - I had been thinking about it. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

42 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

May, of this year?  Nice thought, but surely little time to plan for it (or even have time available, which I don't). One of Mr. Hagen's communications specifically said we'd be informed with plenty of advance notification so as to work it into our schedules. With May being only 4 months from now, I suspect there is nothing in the works for that soon. 

Totally agree, while I suspect that is an option they kept available, time is rapidly winding down for it to work. Hopefully they can do Venice to Piraeus on Neptune in November. Failing that they have another ship (Saturn) coming in Spring 2023.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Hopefully they can do Venice to Piraeus on Neptune in November.

Sounds interesting, though even with that I have a trip planned (and partially booked) that doesn't arrive home till close to mid-month. Airline credit that has to be used by December so IF something would come up from Viking and I opt in favor of instead of the other thing I have planned, perhaps can use the flight money for that. See how it plays out I guess. 

Just updating...no response from my email to Mr. Hagen. Not encouraging. I suspect they are swamped with far more important concerns, but, still - as some of us have been saying, in all fairness it's time for Viking to make some sort of yea or nay decision on this. 

4 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Final update on having emailed Torstein. Since I've not gotten a response, it seems increasingly likely that one is not forthcoming. Not sure what that indicates 🤔

My guess is an incorrect email address, as I just checked back for the address you used.

All the Viking management email addresses that I have, use the format

firstname.lastname@Viking.com

Hope this helps

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

My guess is an incorrect email address, as I just checked back for the address you used.

All the Viking management email addresses that I have, use the format

Hope this helps

Try chairman@vikingcruises.com            JohnEB

Most interesting, however, is that it didn't bounce back as being undeliverable, so unless it's an address that does indeed exist but isn't monitored, I assumed it reached him. I just resent using the one Andy suggested, but feel it would be a good idea if others might do the same as well. Thanks...

Edited by OnTheJourney

On 1/13/2022 at 4:44 PM, Heidi13 said:

I sent to Torstein.Hagen@Viking.com....just came back as undeliverable. My first one never did, so I'm thinking it was received. I'm done with it. We either hear something or we don't. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

I sent to Torstein.Hagen@Viking.com....just came back as undeliverable. My first one never did, so I'm thinking it was received. I'm done with it. We either hear something or we don't. 

I am with you, the moment it seems has past, like many holiday plans in the Covid era I have mentally written off this trip.

• Like 1

I think we will hear something. I believe that this will happen but the time is not right to set plans that may well have to be changed again.

Yes Viking cruises are happening but they are changing by the day. This pandemic is still creating mayhem around the world and the numbers are mounting dramatically. Viking has no control over that.

Quite frankly I'd be delighted if this is offered for 2023 instead of 2022. I have one planned for May, I'm hoping third time lucky, but I suspect that if it does actually happen our freedom with excursions etc will be greatly restricted which will be hugely disappointing in St Petersburg.

I'm sitting back patiently now, it is what it is!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DGHOC said:

Quite frankly I'd be delighted if this is offered for 2023

Definitely agree with that. I have cruises planned for spring of this year but have no idea what I might do with them yet. You're a tad more optimistic (about the invitational cruise) than I am. I think we would have at least gotten some sort of communication by now.  The last was Nov. '20. 

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone at Viking is following this thread, would someone please decide and inform us as to whether or not anything is going to happen with the invitational Chairman's cruise?  I think the March 23, 2019 guests are at least owed some sort of communication so that we can plan accordingly. 

On 1/15/2022 at 12:00 PM, Haworth said:

I have mentally written off this trip.

Haworth...I agree with you. I'd like to be able to mentally write it off (or else plan for whatever might materialize) . Either way, it's time to stop having it still sort of hanging in the balance. 

So I talked to Viking today (about an unrelated issue but then thought it a good time to ask about the Chairman's cruise). The agent said that it "has not been forgotten but there are many more pressing issues right now".

(Uh-huh) She is not aware of any actual plans for it but yet it hasn't been completely taken off the table (all my words but that's the jist of it).

Once again, I'm doubtful that anything will happen. Never got a reply from the boss. Maybe plan a 25-year anniversary Sky cruise. Whoever is still here gets to go....for free 😁

Edited by OnTheJourney

OTJ, I had emailed the Chairman at beginning of the weak, and received a phone call response back about four hours later.  Basically, it is as what you stated.  Right now, they are extremely busy with trying to make adjustments for Covid itinerary changes.  I was assured this has not been forgotten.  Call me an optimist, but I am hopeful something will be planned with the new ships coming on board in 2023.  In the meantime, my wife & I started rebooking our plans for the remainder of this year.  Stay well.   JohnEB

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

John...thanks for contacting them. Surely can't hurt. Well, guess we will find out. I wouldn't postpone any other plans for this year and even next. So far we have 2 other Viking trips booked for '23, and would hate to have to move either one of them. Depends on what they'd come up with. Best wishes to you as well.