Viking Sky survivors

KyOh

26 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

but there was no indication by July—all was repaired.

Like I said, Sky went back out not too long after the incident if I recall correctly. We were back on her last year. Seemed strange in a way, and yet, since the ships are all the same, probably didn't have the impact it would have if, like some other cruise lines, the various classes of their ships are not all built to the same specs. Our first return to Viking after the Sky event was on the Mars, which was brand new at the time. I had never been on a (basically) maiden voyage before.

21 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Like I said, Sky went back out not too long after the incident if I recall correctly. We were back on her last year. Seemed strange in a way, and yet, since the ships are all the same, probably didn't have the impact it would have if, like some other cruise lines, the various classes of their ships are not all built to the same specs. Our first return to Viking after the Sky event was on the Mars, which was brand new at the time. I had never been on a (basically) maiden voyage before.

In 2022 we were on the Sky - on the 3rd anniversary of the 'incident'.  We remembered it with several crew members who were also on board.  

• Like 4

Forgive my naivete but much of this discussion seems to indicate there were design issues that contributed to this situation.  That begs the question of whether these issues can be corrected and if so, have they been.  

9 hours ago, ericosmith said:

Forgive my naivete but much of this discussion seems to indicate there were design issues that contributed to this situation.  That begs the question of whether these issues can be corrected and if so, have they been.  

I recall the Chief addressed this in an earlier post.

It is highly unlikely that sump tanks on the existing tonnage can be redesigned to meet SOLAS and OEM requirements. However, they can mitigate the additional risk by developing revised operational procedures, that are incorporated into the SMS.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On this fifth anniversary of the Viking Sky near-disaster, we raise a glass to all here who 'survived', to those on this board who helped us understand what happened especially with interpreting the final report, to those who kept the ship from destruction, to our rescuers, to Viking and others for their response to our needs, and to the astonishing volunteer spirit of the Norwegian people who provided food, medical aid, shelter, comfort and who cheered wildly as the Sky reached Molde.

Our warmest thoughts are with all of you today.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, JDincalif said:

On this fifth anniversary

You beat me to it.... .very well said! "Near disaster" is far more apt than merely "incident".

We are indeed most fortunate.  🥂

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

That must have been an amazing and emotional moment for all who stayed on board! I'm sure I would have been brought to tears.

It did...and it still does.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

That must have been an amazing and emotional moment for all who stayed on board! I'm sure I would have been brought to tears.

I was, indeed, brought to tears as we sailed into Molde.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, TexasTraveler54 said:

I was, indeed, brought to tears as we sailed into Molde.

The two main groups of passengers - those who stayed onboard - and those who were air lifted, sure had quite different experiences to share. I have Chaney Kwak's book - most interesting. Often considered not keeping it but probably will for sentimental purposes.

Edited by OnTheJourney

1 hour ago, OnTheJourney said:

Just catching up with this thread, it did.

I had to go back into our cabin as we came in, it was very emotional

Apologies, I have no idea why they are upside down, OK on my PC

IMG_0084.JPG

IMG_0087.JPG

IMG_0088.JPG

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Haworth said:

Just catching up with this thread, it did.

Apologies, I have no idea why they are upside down, OK on my PC

IMG_0084.JPG

IMG_0087.JPG

IMG_0088.JPG

Good to hear from you, Haworth. We've been thinking of you and hope that you're doing well.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, JDincalif said:

Good to hear from you, Haworth. We've been thinking of you and hope that you're doing well.

My treatment schedule is due to finish on Monday April 8th, so far so good, thanks for asking 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Haworth said:

I recall you saying this back then! I have no doubt. Others on CC have wound up with the problem of upside down pics. Weird. Did it appear correct before you posted them?

18 minutes ago, Haworth said:

My treatment schedule is due to finish on Monday April 8th, so far so good, thanks for asking 

Oh my. I didn't recall this either! My memory is so crappy. Yes..hope all goes well.

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

I have Chaney Kwak's book - most interesting. Often considered not keeping it but probably will for sentimental purposes.

At the very least, we appreciated his 'timestamp' chronology, since in all the chaos we really lost track of elapsed time - it seemed endless, punctuated by moments of sheer terror.

We also discovered that we and the author were in the same small atrium group under the protective wing of the cabaret singer, although we didn't meet him at the time because we were too traumatized and exhausted to do much more than cling to each other. So his account of those hours, particularly, gave more specific structure to the memory of our experience.

Edited by JDincalif
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

I recall you saying this back then! I have no doubt. Others on CC have wound up with the problem of upside down pics. Weird. Did it appear correct before you posted them?

They were fine on my PC

They do get across a bit of the moment 

25 minutes ago, JDincalif said:

So his account of those hours, particularly, gave more specific structure to the memory of our experience.

Again, very well said. I was thinking to re-read. Seems an appropriate time. Take a break from the 600-page Dune novel I'm engrossed in!

57 minutes ago, kittycrews said:

To all (especially j & d) very fond memories of Sky, Mars, and Viking. No regrets and we sail often.

The best part of our unexpected cruise extension was dinner with you and M. Warm wishes to you both

• Like 2