Viking Sky survivors

KyOh

On 12/9/2022 at 7:24 PM, JDincalif said:

We continue to monitor the site for the final report, and will post a link here when we see it.

Thanks for keeping track of this. It will indeed be interesting to read a final report. Wouldn't it be cool to do another (far more informal) 'reunion' cruise at some point - not implying, of course, that Viking would be directly involved - since they've done way more than enough for us - but it'd have to start with a group of interested 'survivors' simply planning to choose and meet up on a cruise that would work for everyone. Likely turn out to be a fairly small group I suspect - much like a typical CC 'meet and greet'. I could see it now....the 2029 10th anniversary cruise of the Sky Survivors 😁  Get matching shirts for everyone..."we survived".....

My best to everyone and wishing you all a Happy, safe, and healthy Holiday season! 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

....the 2029 10th anniversary cruise of the Sky Survivors 😁

My best to everyone and wishing you all a Happy, safe, and healthy Holiday season! 

☺️ Until that happy day, thank dog we have this forum to keep in touch with 'survivors' and friends. Stories, information, expertise, support - a truly lovely community. Wishing happy holidays to all and many delightful adventures in the year to come!

• Like 4

JD....well said!  

BTW...Just noticed some really nice pics posted by "Radiationman" during a Northern Lights cruise. You probably saw them too - they come up on the sidebar of "new photos". Better pics than I got but then all I had (that worked to get much of anything) was my iPhone. 

Have a good one...Merry Christmas! 

Edited by OnTheJourney

We put up our Christmas decorations yesterday, we try and buy a Christmas ornament to recall our travels, the wooden bauble bought in Tromso the afternoon before we left has a special memory.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all

• Like 5

On 12/15/2022 at 9:50 AM, OnTheJourney said:

Thanks for keeping track of this. It will indeed be interesting to read a final report. Wouldn't it be cool to do another (far more informal) 'reunion' cruise at some point - not implying, of course, that Viking would be directly involved - since they've done way more than enough for us - but it'd have to start with a group of interested 'survivors' simply planning to choose and meet up on a cruise that would work for everyone. Likely turn out to be a fairly small group I suspect - much like a typical CC 'meet and greet'. I could see it now....the 2029 10th anniversary cruise of the Sky Survivors 😁  Get matching shirts for everyone..."we survived".....

Some others of us interested folks might want to join us but not sure I want a shirt that says Non-Survior!😂

• Haha 3

On 12/16/2022 at 10:08 AM, OnTheJourney said:

JD....well said!  

BTW...Just noticed some really nice pics posted by "Radiationman" during a Northern Lights cruise. You probably saw them too - they come up on the sidebar of "new photos". Better pics than I got but then all I had (that worked to get much of anything) was my iPhone. 

Have a good one...Merry Christmas! 

Here is my favorite photo from the March 2019 NL cruise.  I had many failures in trying to capture the Lights, along with some successful ones also.  Enjoy!806407064_narvikaurorajohnv2.thumb.jpg.b1b91ec1b7d5406713c4c8670aa33c0d.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Thank you everyone for the kind words about my picture and making it a Christmas Card.  I am contemplating using it next year for our Christmas card.  We already had this year's (religious) card picked out.  Best wishes to all for a Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and a Happy Holiday Season.   JohnEB

• Like 5

• 8 months later...

We subscribe to NSIA update emails, and we know that some of you do as well. For those who don't, we just wanted to let you know that the Viking Sky investigation remains open and ongoing, along with a small number of other significant incidents.

Hoping that all our fellow 'survivors' are thriving these days.

Screenshot_20230904-084253.png

Edited by JDincalif
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, JDincalif said:

We subscribe to NSIA update emails, and we know that some of you do as well. For those who don't, we just wanted to let you know that the Viking Sky investigation remains open and ongoing, along with a small number of other significant incidents.

Screenshot_20230904-084253.png

Thank you, JD.  I was just thinking about that what happened with that investigation as I was getting ready to plunk down 5 figures on a Viking expedition 🙂

15 minutes ago, Catlover54 said:

Thank you, JD.  I was just thinking about that what happened with that investigation as I was getting ready to plunk down 5 figures on a Viking expedition 🙂

We happily returned to Viking in 2022 with many of our fellow 'survivors' and have two more Viking cruises (so far) in our future as well. 

2 hours ago, JDincalif said:

We happily returned to Viking in 2022 with many of our fellow 'survivors' and have two more Viking cruises (so far) in our future as well. 

An interim report was issued a couple of years ago. It will be interesting to see if and when the Norwegian authorities release a final report — not to mention what that report might say.

3 hours ago, JDincalif said:

Doing well, JD. Hope the same for you!  So ironic that you posted this cause I was just corresponding with a cruiser friend of mine today about our 2019 adventure and got to re-reading some of the lengthy report from back in Sept. '21.  Got me thinking about it all cause we're going to (finally) use our vouchers later this month on the Mississippi!

57 minutes ago, SJD117 said:

It will be interesting to see if and when the Norwegian authorities release a final report — not to mention what that report might say.

Indeed! This is what I was just telling my friend about, that the final report has not yet been made public.

and have two more Viking cruises (so far) in our future as well. 

I think we're done with Viking for awhile after this upcoming river trip, and actually probably done with cruising for maybe a year or two. After the hectic nature of the last two years with rescheduled / rebooked trips crammed in closer together than we like, we need a time out from some of it. Looking to maybe do more in the way of car trips, probably including fly/drive, which I really enjoy. Since our daughter moved to Irvine last summer, we've not seen her since. So one of these times that'll be high up on the list to get out there for a visit. Not sure how many more 'across the pond' trips we'll be doing either. Age and a few health-related issues ever so gradually make their presence felt. We should done some real long-distance destination trips (that I've always hoped to do) shortly after retirement instead of leaving them on hold. Now, not sure that they'll happen. DW is becoming increasingly averse to long-haul flights.

Edited by OnTheJourney

we just wanted to let you know that the Viking Sky investigation remains open and ongoing,

"technical failure"....uh-huh.  As Torstein admitted during our invitational cruise, "human error", pure and simple - which in turn LED to various technical issues.

4 hours ago, JDincalif said:

Same here, but we have 3 booked - 2 ocean and 1 river!!  I'm ready to go!!!!

Edited by TexasTraveler54
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

"technical failure"....uh-huh.  As Torstein admitted during our invitational cruise, "human error", pure and simple - which in turn LED to various technical issues.

Humans and the systems they create will always be error-prone and potentially fallible. It's the specifics of the failure, determined after study, and what can be done to prevent it going forward that we'll be looking for.

Edited by JDincalif

33 minutes ago, JDincalif said:

and what can be done to prevent it going forward that we'll be looking for.

Granted, but at the least sailing with recommended oil levels would have been a pretty easy means of very likely avoiding the entire situation. That was at least a big part of the "specifics" of the failure it would seem.  But then, bright side is that there would never have been an amazing invitational cruise without the incident. My brother is still jealous of our helicopter rescue....

Edited by OnTheJourney

2 hours ago, JDincalif said:

Humans and the systems they create will always be error-prone and potentially fallible. It's the specifics of the failure, determined after study, and what can be done to prevent it going forward that we'll be looking for.

JD - Unfortunately very true.

In human factors training, one of the first things taught is, "To err is human" and that 80% of incidents/accidents are the result of human error. I have no doubt Viking have utilised human factors to amend the procedure, removing the potential for single person errors and adding additional layers to the procedure.

This is best described by the "Swiss Cheese Model" where each layer has the potential for having an error, represented by a hole. Unfortunately, even removing the potential for single person errors does not eliminate errors, it only reduces them. By adding additional layers, the hope is that the holes in each layer will not align, which represents an incident. Therefore, with more layers, you can still experience human error(s), but it is caught and corrected before an incident.

If the Chairman mentioned "Human Error", it could be the OEM, shipbuilder or operational crews, and I have no doubt those procedures have already been modified.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

This is best described by the "Swiss Cheese Model"

Andy, if memory serves, wasn't this described before (probably in association with the Sky incident) - either by you or....geez...can't recall his username....like yourself a very experienced mariner. Thanks, as always, for your fine explanations.

• Like 1