Viking Sky survivors

KyOh

Searching the web for the final AIBN report on the Viking Sky incident, we found this article from the journal Engineering Failure Analysis, Volume 125, July 2021, 105355: 

"Learning from failures in cruise ship industry: The blackout of Viking Sky in Hustadvika, Norway"

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1350630721002156#!

Much technical information, but also much credit given to the crew, noting that "...people should not be seen only as an error source, but also as a very important safety resource."

Edited by JDincalif
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, JDincalif said:

Searching the web for the final AIBN report on the Viking Sky incident, we found this article from the journal Engineering Failure Analysis, Volume 125, July 2021, 105355: 

"Learning from failures in cruise ship industry: The blackout of Viking Sky in Hustadvika, Norway"

Much technical information, but also much credit given to the crew, noting that "...people should not be seen only as an error source, but also as a very important safety resource."

Thanks for posting this one, an interesting read, but with the proviso that it was almost entirely completed by non-mariners.

I especially shook my head at the comments by the retired airline pilot, who was critical of the auto shut-down feature, on large medium speed marine diesels. Since the report noted the Chief Engineer had not determined the cause of the shut-down, had the engines continued operating with no lubricating oil, the probability of seizing is high. Not a fun experience on a large engine doing 600 - 800 RPM, as I have seen the results of a con-rod coming through the block.

Thankfully, this incident came to a successful conclusion, as the engineers initially got 1 engine re-started, which allowed the Master to safely navigate away from the lee shore. Had the engines not gone into auto shut-down and self destructed, the ship would have been in even greater danger. This is classic risk management, as a destroyed engine is useless. 

As a mariner, I am most certainly not qualified, or experienced to comment on aircraft engine issues, so why would they have an airline pilot comment on marine issues. They used a guise of software issues, but this is a design criteria, not software. Surely, they could have enlisted the opinion of an experienced marine engineer, or even an engine manufacturer technician.

On my last ship, with engines from the same manufacturer, we had 3 critical alarms that resulted in auto shut-down - overspeed, crankcase oil mist and loss of lub oil. All 3 situations can quickly result in catastrophic failure. As a Master, I was aware of this potential.

Personally, I await the final report from the Norwegian AIBN.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Thanks for posting this one, an interesting read, but with the proviso that it was almost entirely completed by non-mariners

We were hoping to get your analysis of this analysis! - and we too will continue to search for the final AIBN report. Thanks once again for your always insightful critiques and comments.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, JDincalif said:

We were hoping to get your analysis of this analysis! - and we too will continue to search for the final AIBN report. Thanks once again for your always insightful critiques and comments.

Thanks. I am also pleased to read the positive comments on the crew, which is a testament to the SMS procedures and crew training. However, they are tempered by the lack of technical knowledge of the authors and contributors. The final report will provide a definitive answer.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, johneb2 said:

For anyone going on the Chairman's Invitational Cruise, they just opened shore excursions for booking!  JohnEB

The actual booking date available for each passenger depends on room category. Varies between 60 to 107 days before departure according to info on their website; however, based on what some have reported on the roll call thread, there seems to have been some inconsistencies in availability - same problem for dining options. On my MVJ, there is a glitch in that it doesn't show all available dining times. 

Edited by AnyWayIsGood

12 hours ago, johneb2 said:

For anyone going on the Chairman's Invitational Cruise, they just opened shore excursions for booking!  JohnEB

Looking forward to all the experiences we'll have on this lovely voyage!

Sorry I missed hearing this , but  where and when is the invitational cruise? I hope all those onboard have a safe and enjoyable cruise. 

We’ve just returned from a NL cruise and had bad weather conditions.  I cannot imagine what you went through.  I hope this chairman’s cruise goes some way to giving good memories.  

• 4 months later...

Indeed it was an amazing cruise! Glad that you and your daughter were able to be part of it. Karine's presentation is one I will long remember - so moving. Along with Mr. Hagen's presentation, it brought a sense of closure to the entire episode. What remains, of course, is the final report on the incident. It was our first time anywhere in the "Meddy". Such amazingly smooth sailing!  Have a great remainder of the summer...

On 2/18/2022 at 12:44 AM, Haworth said:

We have some severe storms currently in the UK and Europe, this was on the river Elbe

What does this have to do w the Viking Sky incident.  I would bet that the Sky is a much bigger and much higher than the ferry.

DON

4 hours ago, donaldsc said:

What does this have to do w the Viking Sky incident.

Well, nothing directly I suppose, but Haworth was just citing an incident that is surely related - another example of a severe (or at the least atypical and aberrant) storm or weather-related situation. I'm a firm believer that we are seeeing an increasing number of them due to climate change. 

Assumedly you weren't on the Sky anyway so not quite sure why you'd feel the need to offer criticism to someone that actually went through that experience?  

Edited by AnyWayIsGood
  • Like 3

• 4 months later...
On 2/20/2022 at 7:32 PM, JDincalif said:

Thank you for posting a fascinating, informative, and interesting article   (subject, of course,  to all the usual qualifiers and potential critiques).  Our family  of professional applied scientists (though not mariners) very much appreciated reading it, as we contemplate Arctic and Antarctic bookings in our retirement  (though so far, not on Viking). 

Although there are many specifics in this article, it is now 3.5 years since the incident and I have not been able to find the final ABIN report.  Perhaps I missed it, e.g., is it perhaps on another thread?

I looked at the huge incident thread, ran google searches, and also looked in a few other places that had previously highlighted the preliminary report, but have not been able to find a final report.

Am I correct in concluding that 3.5 years out there is simply still no final report?

Does anyone know if it is normal for ABIN final reports to take more than 3.5 years, and/or if Covid is a reason/factor in the delay (if it is even a "delay" )?

Thanks in advance.

47 minutes ago, Catlover54 said:

Am I correct in concluding that 3.5 years out there is simply still no final report?

Does anyone know if it is normal for ABIN final reports to take more than 3.5 years, and/or if Covid is a reason/factor in the delay (if it is even a "delay" )?

The Viking Sky incident is the oldest "Current (open) Investigation" listed on the Norwegian Safety Investigation Authority website.

https://www.nsia.no/Marine/Current-investigations

Web searches for the AIBN now direct to the NSIA website. 

The listing of published/final reports does show many investigations lasting more than a year from incident to final report, but a casual perusal of the list confirms that 3.5 years is an unusual length of time for an investigation to remain open, Covid interruptions notwithstanding.

We continue to monitor the site for the final report, and will post a link here when we see it. Hope that if anyone else sees it first they'll do the same!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Thanks J and D, I've been keeping an eye open for the final report and am glad to see that you are doing the same.

This recent Antarctic incident rather brought our Sky experience back to mind,  mostly though the descent of non Viking cruisers on CC who immediately pounced, ready to tar and feather Viking without knowing the facts. I clearly remember reading renditions here of what happened from folk who weren't even on the Sky!

As before Andy and the Chief are offering factual evaluations and attempting to correct the sensationalists. It's like they come scurrying out of the woodwork!

Our thoughts are with those affected by this horrible tragedy and we send all of our good wishes to them and their families.

Hope you're both keeping well and happy!!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, DGHOC said:

Thanks J and D, I've been keeping an eye open for the final report and am glad to see that you are doing the same.

This recent Antarctic incident rather brought our Sky experience back to mind,  mostly though the descent of non Viking cruisers on CC who immediately pounced, ready to tar and feather Viking without knowing the facts. I clearly remember reading renditions here of what happened from folk who weren't even on the Sky!

As before Andy and the Chief are offering factual evaluations and attempting to correct the sensationalists. It's like they come scurrying out of the woodwork!

Our thoughts are with those affected by this horrible tragedy and we send all of our good wishes to them and their families.

Hope you're both keeping well and happy!!

With you 100%, when we were together in May it was a positive experience and great to catch up with people again who had the shared experiencee

• Like 6

On 12/10/2022 at 10:09 AM, Haworth said:

With you 100%, when we were together in May it was a positive experience and great to catch up with people again who had the shared experiencee

I agree also.  We survived the Sky incident because of the efforts of all involved, and as noted many times the outstanding efforts by the crew, rescue teams, the generosity of the Norwegian people, and by Viking.  Our hearts go out to those impacted by this unfortunately tragedy.  I am sure Viking will look after them, just as they looked after us.  JohnEB

• Like 5